Thai Bananas

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thai Bananas

Post by GLCQuantum »

I may be wrong but...

... after closely looking at the western banana (import) in my hand it seems that it is somewhat larger than the Thai banana. Is there anywhere in Hua Hin that I can get my hands on a big banana not a Thai banana? (see below)

Thai banana

Western banana

joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai Bananas

Post by joelle »

for your information there are many different types of bananas available in Thai markets, varieties you will have never seen in western supermarkets. In all, the country is home to more than 30 varieties of banana, with common names such as "egg" (gluay kai), "100 bunches" (roy wee), "fragrant gold" (hawm tong) and "sandalwood" (jun).
Large, fairly sweet bananas similar to the type found in western supermarkets are called gluay hawm, or "fragrant banana" in Thai.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, there are many different types of banana in Thailand. The ones in the first photo look like the have come from someone's garden rather than from a farm. The size and quality of bananas is greatly affected by how they are grown as well.

I had some growing on my property and they looked similar to the one in the second photo but I took really good care of the trees and did some research. Offshoots from the same trees that were just allowed to grow wild and unattended produced bananas similar to those in the first photo.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The Western variety that you are looking for vary in availability, but a place that always has them is on the Railway Road between Soi 88 and the station. A shop on the right hand side as you go towards the station.

The strangest variety I've seen, I've only seen in my wife's village in Isaan. The look like normal Thai bananas, but have seeds all the way through. They wouldn't let me try one because they said the seeds made them dangerous for Farangs to eat :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

The Western variety in the photo is probably a Cavendish. They are, maybe, the most internationally traded cultivar because they can be picked green and they travel well. IMHO they don't have the best flavor, be we often crave what we grew up with.
Bamsen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bamsen »

I think Glay Kai, the one in the picture is more tasty than the one we usually find in western.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Ratsima wrote:The Western variety in the photo is probably a Cavendish. They are, maybe, the most internationally traded cultivar because they can be picked green and they travel well. IMHO they don't have the best flavor, be we often crave what we grew up with.
The imminent death of the Cavendish banana

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35131751
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Fascinating article about the Cavendish developed by Joseph Paxton at Chatsworth House in the English Peak District.
My neighbour gives me more bananas than I can eat. I put about three in the blender witha splash of Carnation Milk, some regular milk and some crushed ice. A wondefull drink.