Indonesian food

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Indonesian food

Post by johnnyk »

Started to think I'd like to sit down to a nice nasi goreng or rijstaffel with lots of cold beer.
Is there any Indonesian food in the area?
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

As far as I know it has not reached these parts yet mainly because it has not got international reckognition. Also I think you will find that the rijstaffel is a Dutch version of Indonesian food. I never saw anything like that in Indonesia.

You may find Nasi Goreng in South Thailand in a Malay neighborhood.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Guess wrote:Also I think you will find that the rijstaffel is a Dutch version of Indonesian food.
I agree - I always thought of the rijstaffel as being to Indonesian food what chicken tikka massala is to Indian food. Bloody nice though - had it in Amsterdam some years ago!
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

whatever, you pedants know what i mean :cheers:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I'm no pedant!

By the way, that should've been a capital 'I' in your last post as it was being used as a personal pronoun (first person)..... :wink:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Ok, not a pedant, but a bit pedantic?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Pasta Factory do Nasi Goreng. Don't know what it is like as I have not tried it.

:cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Indonesian food

Post by STEVE G »

I am pretty sure there is nowhere in Hua Hin that serves proper Indonesian food, you will get nasi goreng, because that means, literally fried rice in bhasa Indonesian (actually rice,fried)
The rijstaffel, where the table is filled with small bowls of various foods,is actually the dutch version of Padang food from Sumartra. This can be found in most of Indonesia, you can tell these restaurants by the bowls stacked several rows high in the window. The food is much spicier than the dutch version and unless you are a real fan of asian food with the iron stomach to go with it, I would avoid these places!