Another alcohol clampdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Another alcohol clampdown

Post by europtimiste »

In fact this dictator is indirectly promoting corruption.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

Being as high up the ladder as I am, I have met the guy and ... he's an alright bloke.

Shouldn't be running the country though, that's for sure, but he says what he says without cronies giving him a script to read a la England, America, Germany, France, Australia, South America, Holland, Norway... (the list goes on and on).

He's a down to earth guy who enjoys a laugh.

I'm tempted to post my picture with him yet, I fear, it will be deleted along with all the other pictures that I post.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

GLCQuantum wrote:^

Being as high up the ladder as I am, I have met the guy and ... he's an alright bloke.

Shouldn't be running the country though, that's for sure, but he says what he says without cronies giving him a script to read a la England, America, Germany, France, Australia, South America, Holland, Norway... (the list goes on and on).

I'm tempted to post my picture with him yet, I fear, it will be deleted along with all the other pictures that I post.

What ladder ? Why are you high up ?
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

jumusman wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:^

What ladder ? Why are you high up ?
I think he meant just plain high :rasta:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

:offtopic:

Have any bars/restaurants in Hua Hin had notification or a visit yet?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Seems that it will be limited to Bangkok.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It seems that some backpedaling is now going on:

Govt defends controversial liquor laws
http://bangkokpost.com/news/general/636 ... iquor-laws

" The authorities now agree the distance should not have been specified in the order, as more time is needed to consider the matter, said Gen Paiboon."
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

europtimiste wrote:Seems that it will be limited to Bangkok.
many restaurants and bars in Chiang Mai have received notice. The law is nationwide.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Hmmm maybe a business opportunity could come out of this. When I used to spend a lot of time in Bournemouth after clubbing my friends used to have this business card with a very provocative pair of lips on and a tongue on it the business was called Liquor Out, it was targeted at students. Phone the number order your booze and delivered cold within half an hour 24-7. These guys were always busy.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Enforce the existing laws DO NOT SELL BOOZE TO MINORS. Punish bars/restaurants/shops who do. It's not rocket science. ID cards are issued to everyone over 7 years old!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And so are driving licenses
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm staying right outside Ramkhamhaeng University in Bangkok at the moment - I'll let you know how we get on tonight.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Alcohol sales banned on July 30-31
Operators of entertainment venues and restaurants are being reminded to strictly observe the PM's Office announcement which bans the sale of alcoholic drinks on July 30, Asanha Bucha Day, and July 31, the beginning of Buddhist Lent, deputy police spokeswoman Chanchai Rattanapanich said on Wednesday.

Lt Col Chanchai said the ban covers the 48 hours from 00.01am on July 30 until midnight of July 31.

Police have been instructed to strictly enforce the prohibition and arrest all violators.

The ban also applies to shops (corrected to delete hotels).

Motorists will be liable to alcohol testing at checkpoints to ensure road safety during the long holiday, she said.

She said the Royal Thai Police Office is still considering how best to implement the government's proposed order under Section 44 of the interim constitution to prohibit liquor sales near schools

The RTPO is thinking about new zoning regulations. A decision is expected in six months.

Police arel explaining to shops in areas likely tobe affected that the ban on alcohol sales within a 300-metre radius of an educational institute is not yet in effect as it is still only a proposal, Pol Lt Col Chanchai said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... july-30-31
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

[quote=

Police arel explaining to shops in areas likely to be affected that the ban on alcohol sales within a 300-metre radius of an educational institute is not yet in effect as it is still only a proposal, Pol Lt Col Chanchai said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... july-30-31[/quote]

So is this a hint of a u-turn i thought it was a done deal. :o
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

kendo wrote:[quote=

Police arel explaining to shops in areas likely to be affected that the ban on alcohol sales within a 300-metre radius of an educational institute is not yet in effect as it is still only a proposal, Pol Lt Col Chanchai said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... july-30-31

So is this a hint of a u-turn i thought it was a done deal. :o[/quote]

The last restriction on alcohol sales was a pronouncement under Article 44 which says that you have to do what the Junta says, so it can be changed just as quickly, it doesn't require any sort of judicial process.