Another alcohol clampdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Another alcohol clampdown

Post by HHTel »

There has never been an alcohol ban on the Queen's birthday in previous years but it will depend on your locale. Some bars and restaurants have a voluntary ban on alcohol out of respect. It is not an official 'alcohol free day' but it will depend on the local police in some areas.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

It doesn't just depend on 'the local police' in some areas. There is no law in Thailand or any legal way to say it, so say it how it is.

"If the first bar doesn't give you a drink, go to the next and they probably will..."
buksida

Post by buksida »

Why Thailand booze ban could do more harm than good
It’s uncertain at the moment how the military junta intends to enforce its ban of alcohol sales within 300 metres (500 metres has also been talked about) of educational institutions. Numerous critics opposed to the ban have said that it would gravely affect business and diminish tourism revenue, but so far the potential benefits of the action itself, which is ostensibly to sway young folks from drinking – have not been called into question. The junta seemed to back-peddle after the initial pronouncement of the order, but then said the ban would be enforced arbitrarily – based on the, “appropriateness of the situation,” according to Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Beverage Office, as reported by Khaosod.

There are plenty of reasons to feel dismayed about an arbitrary order, especially if you’re directly, monetarily, affected by it. For instance, will the enforcement be imposed fairly, and not undermined by routine police corruption? We might also ask if the order, which includes heavy penalties on any establishment selling alcohol or allowing entry to anyone under the age of 20, will prevent young people from drinking, or just push them further away to places they can consume alcohol. Does the junta have in mind a kind of reformation of the youth; is the ban based on extensive research; is the junta just flexing its muscles, or looking for an image improvement?

http://asiancorrespondent.com/135075/th ... than-good/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote:Why Thailand booze ban could do more harm than good
It’s uncertain at the moment how the military junta intends to enforce its ban of alcohol sales within 300 metres (500 metres has also been talked about) of educational institutions. ............. Does the junta have in mind a kind of reformation of the youth; is the ban based on extensive research; is the junta just flexing its muscles, or looking for an image improvement?

http://asiancorrespondent.com/135075/th ... than-good/
I liked this bit:
"A friend informed me that he discovered a 7-Eleven not selling alcohol, and so drove, while over the limit, to a store that wasn’t in the vicinity of Chiang Mai University."
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

I was just in an Wine shop that I won't give the name of for obvious reasons. The signs stating that no alcohol could be sold between the hours of 2-5pm were all over the door and inside of the shop (I could be wrong with the staring time but I was sure it finished at 5pm)

Anyway it was 4pm and I asked the lady behind the counter if I could buy wine, she looked at me, paused for 3 seconds and said "yes you can"... I thought that was really funny...
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ are you new here? Why would that amuse you?
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

centermid7 wrote:^ are you new here? Why would that amuse you?
it's funny because she paused for three seconds...
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

JamesWest wrote:
centermid7 wrote:^ are you new here? Why would that amuse you?
it's funny because she paused for three seconds...

Thanks for explaining James, I can see at least you understood what I was saying.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand’s botched booze ban is forcing businesses to close
The confusion surrounding the recent announcements by the military government that alcohol cannot be sold near educational establishments is well illustrated in the seemingly random way the orders have been enforced in Chiang Mai.

On July 20 the military government issued an order that banned sales of alcohol within 300 meters of some schools and universities. Then, on July 23 a second order was made prohibiting alcohol sale ‘in the vicinity’ of all educational establishments, which took immediate effect.

Unsurprisingly, the vagueness of the term ‘in the vicinity’ has caused a lot of confusion with this order. It seems likely no legal experts were consulted before this law was drawn up as they would have demanded far more precise wording.

As it is, even Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yuthavong could not define ‘in the vicinity’, he was quoted as saying: “What does that mean?”

In what can be seen as an admission that the law as it stands is unworkable Yongyuth said that the opinions of relevant agencies will be gathered over about the next six months to “reach a clear understanding” of what is meant by “in the vicinity of.”

For reasons best known to themselves, the government seemed to think this option would be preferable to using the order from three days earlier that clearly stated 300 meters, which was instead permanently shelved.

While the government awaits the agencies’ answers “security officers will have to exercise their judgment, based on appropriateness of the situation,” said Saman Footrakul, the director of the Alcohol Beverage Office.

Clearly this might well lead to confusion as one police officer’s judgment of what constitutes “in the vicinity of” could be very different to another officer’s judgment.

This may go some way to explain the confusion with which this law is being applied in Chiang Mai, Thailand’s northern capital.

The situation would be farcical if it was not costing innocent people their jobs and livelihoods.

At present it seems that the main focus of the ban is around Chiang Mai University, with bars on Suthep Road on the southern perimeter of the campus and some more on Canal Road on the eastern perimeter of the campus told to stop selling alcohol.

Speaking to several people working at these bars it appears that police told them on Saturday, August 8 that they could no longer sell alcohol. Many reported customers turning up to watch the opening games of the English Premier League Season, only for disappointed customers leaving to watch the football elsewhere.

One restaurant owner, who did not want to be identified and who employs 10 other staff, said that since the alcohol ban he had 85 percent fewer customers.

He said he knew of more than 10 restaurants that had been banned from selling alcohol, which would, as a result, all have to shut down.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/135126/th ... -to-close/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"....While the government awaits the agencies’ answers “security officers will have to exercise their judgment, based on appropriateness of the situation,” said Saman Footrakul, the director of the Alcohol Beverage Office....."

Yes of course they will you idiot. They'll exercise judgement based upon the size of the backhander they're able to get. :banghead: :cuss: Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

The sale of alcohol near schools and universities in Thailand will be prohibited from today, Friday 23 Oct.

Those found to be in violation of the order can be jailed for up to six months and/or be fined 10,000 Baht.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ban-on ... fect-today
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

a very popular place (being vague) in Hua Hin is located well outside of any excluded "entertainment zones".

it is 203.45 meters from a school.
there are approximately 10 business selling alcohol within a 300 meter circle of the school. Including a 7/11 and very large grocery store. this is just one example.

how does one sell your business with this hanging over your head?
is the government going to publish a map of "no sales zones"?

i just saw a bar for sell in HH, guess what is right next to it?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

The university where we work is pretty much in the centre of town. If (and it's a big IF) the powers that be are going to enforce this extremely vague law, then there are going to be a lot of disgruntled people (customers and owners). I have a feeling that it won't affect those particular places much as they're mostly owned by a powerful local family, who very much do what they please in this town.

As Pete quite rightly points out, it'll be a nice little money earner for the MIB for those businesses that don't have the right connections.

St. Joseph's Convent School (between Silom Road and Sathorn Road) is in an interesting location. How on earth will they enforce the regulations there? :roll:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

JamesWest wrote:a very popular place (being vague) in Hua Hin is located well outside of any excluded "entertainment zones".

it is 203.45 meters from a school.
there are approximately 10 business selling alcohol within a 300 meter circle of the school. Including a 7/11 and very large grocery store. this is just one example.

how does one sell your business with this hanging over your head?
is the government going to publish a map of "no sales zones"?

i just saw a bar for sell in HH, guess what is right next to it?
But 'near' is not defined! That is up to the discretion of the police which makes it an easy 'moneyspinner'. The moon is near to earth and until 'near' is qualified then the law is totally unenforceable. If there was such a law in the UK, the first instance of it being in court would be thrown out by the judge and then being a precedent. Law dead.

This has got to be one of the stupidest laws invented.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i too stupid to understand you. sorry. i try to be smart but nothing happens.