Another alcohol clampdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Another alcohol clampdown?

Post by caller »

No 'summer dream' on the beaches and now no alcohol. Might as well scrap the tourist industry with immediate effect.

But in reality, this will never be enforced in a million years.
Talk is cheap
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Well this week everything on the beaches will be closed Wednesday ('cos it's Wednesday), Thursday and Friday for Big Budha day and probably over the w/e as everyone has gone home to Isaan. Not the way to run a Tourist industry......bit TIT..lol
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
buksida

Post by buksida »

They've started clamping down in Bangkok ... Hua Hin will be next ...

Booze rules dispirit customers, bar owners
Critics complain new curbs on alcohol sales go too far and hurt business

Pubs and restaurants surrounding the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) have gone quiet as blasting music along the streets was shut off from 9pm.

"Police asked us to close early tonight due to the new law that bans alcoholic drink sales near universities and vocational colleges," said Weerapol Sirikulsing, owner of Sanrak Hut, a liquor outlet near the UTCC.

The alcohol ban is an amendment of Section 44 of the interim charter which was signed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday.

Under the new restrictions, any pub or nightclub that allows entry for or sells alcohol to people aged under 20, or operates after the legal hours will have its licence revoked, or will be ordered to shut for five years.

Bars, restaurants, and convenience stores are also banned from selling alcohol near schools, universities, and student accommodation.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... bar-owners
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Another alcohol clampdown

Post by JamesWest »

so where will all the bars and restaurants in the bintabaht area go?

at first i thought maybe the owners of the new giant aircraft hanger building near soi 94 knew about this in advance. but they are next to a school also! so that new huge complex can't sell alcohol? i wonder if they know that? the company that is building it is Thai and has many properties in HH.

i am reading chatter on the other forums about walking street in Pattaya being next to a school.

the law says ANY TYPE OF SCHOOL. Nationwide. Google maps says there is a Learning Center at the end of soi 80.

I know there is a English school at the East end of soi 80, (across the street) because I drop my girlfriend off there for her classes before I go run errands on soi 80. :)

there is a school inside market village next to restaurants.

there are countless 'learn English' schools inside or near malls all over Thailand.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I haven't read the legislation, so have to bow to your informed knowledge. However, I was under the impression that if an area was designated as an entertainment complex, it was exempt.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Yes, confusing. there are two versions of the law now.

would you open a REAL restaurant now in Thailand knowing you could lose your alcohol sales? you can't serve a glass of wine anymore with your seafood dinners?

What about all the expat guys with their Thai girlfriends with tiny shophouse type restaurants selling alcohol? done.

maybe some other new laws in the future?
there was talk of expanding from 300m to 500m.

would you buy a condo? what other laws are going to be changed?

does the presence of existing alcohol venues stop the opening of new schools?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Someone who can tick all the boxes may get extremely wealthy. So rich in fact he'll be able to afford free shuttle buses to his establishment from all over town. You may see the rise of massive beer bar compounds in those coveted "sweet spots" of land. :shock: :idea:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

prcscct wrote:Someone who can tick all the boxes may get extremely wealthy. So rich in fact he'll be able to afford free shuttle buses to his establishment from all over town. You may see the rise of massive beer bar compounds in those coveted "sweet spots" of land. :shock: :idea:

that is just what i was thinking. sort of "Barland" areas. Maybe out of town a bit away from schools. :)
and a drop in value of commercial land near schools...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know TIT, but it almost needs a planning department to advise what can go where; and a land search department to advise of future plans. I'm sure that will happen :D

:idea: Does 'planning' appear in the Thai dictionary? :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:Someone who can tick all the boxes may get extremely wealthy. So rich in fact he'll be able to afford free shuttle buses to his establishment from all over town. You may see the rise of massive beer bar compounds in those coveted "sweet spots" of land. :shock: :idea:
You would have to be a gambler to make that kind of investment in an environment where they change the rules so arbitrarily.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So what is wrong with 'age' id cards like most of the rest of the civilised world? In the UK if you are suspected of being under age then proof of age is required.

Very very simple, but hey TIT and simple things are made difficult by tradition. And this is the thinking of the 'junta' government! Highlights the fact that they are not qualified to govern. Beggars belief!!
Troon Expat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Troon Expat »

Maybe I am missing something here.
The Bangkok Post reports that the ban on alcohol sales relates to areas within 300 metres radius of 'higher educational institutions'.
Are there any Universtities or technical colleges near the centre of Hua Hin ?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Troon Expat wrote:Maybe I am missing something here.
The Bangkok Post reports that the ban on alcohol sales relates to areas within 300 metres radius of 'higher educational institutions'.
Are there any Universtities or technical colleges near the centre of Hua Hin ?
Yes, but that's not what's appeared in the legislation, covered earlier in this thread.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

"Mr Thuwanon said he spends about 1000 baht on booze each month and he's afraid that under the new rules, his spending on spirits might rise sharply as he will have to pay more on travel costs.
" I'm not okay with the new measures" he said bluntly"
http://m.bangkokpost.com/topstories/633872
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I see "student accommodation" is also included. Great, I can start demanding tea money from a few nearby restaurants because I have three students living in my home. :laugh: Obviously this latest game plan hasn't been made very public, because all the local shops I frequent are still selling alcohol.

Jokes aside (because it really is a joke), I don't think you will find this new law making any difference because there is probably no real intention to enforce it. As is often the case with some laws here, they seem to be passed so that they can serve as a safety net if and when needed. For example, I can't see Mom & Pop shops located near schools being forced to stop selling alcohol, whereas places such as karaoke bars will probably get hammered.

I don't believe for a minute that the law, as it stands, will be tolerated by the Thai people. I also don't believe that Thailand gets enough Muslim tourists and other non drinking tourists to make up for all the other tourists they would lose if this new law were to be enforced.

Personally I think kids would stand to benefit far more from a law that stops junk food squatters from setting up shop outside the gates of virtually every school in Thailand.

I would be willing to bet my last baht that nearly all of those people who were involved in drafting/passing this new law, have themselves already bought and/or drank alcohol at a place that is actually not allowed to sell it. Non drinkers excluded of course.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact