Another alcohol clampdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Another alcohol clampdown

Post by bsdk1960 »

Takiap wrote:I see "student accommodation" is also included. Great, I can start demanding tea money from a few nearby restaurants because I have three students living in my home. :laugh: Obviously this latest game plan hasn't been made very public, because all the local shops I frequent are still selling alcohol.

Jokes aside (because it really is a joke), I don't think you will find this new law making any difference because there is probably no real intention to enforce it. As is often the case with some laws here, they seem to be passed so that they can serve as a safety net if and when needed. For example, I can't see Mom & Pop shops located near schools being forced to stop selling alcohol, whereas places such as karaoke bars will probably get hammered.

I don't believe for a minute that the law, as it stands, will be tolerated by the Thai people. I also don't believe that Thailand gets enough Muslim tourists and other non drinking tourists to make up for all the other tourists they would lose if this new law were to be enforced.

Personally I think kids would stand to benefit far more from a law that stops junk food squatters from setting up shop outside the gates of virtually every school in Thailand.

I would be willing to bet my last baht that nearly all of those people who were involved in drafting/passing this new law, have themselves already bought and/or drank alcohol at a place that is actually not allowed to sell it. Non drinkers excluded of course.

:cheers:
:agree: the amount off unhealthy food you see being sold outside schools is unbeliveble,spot on Takiap

:cheers: :cheers:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

It will never be a problem to find a watering hole. But think at all those street and beach vendors who lost their jobs and now small shops and even 7/11 who will suffer. The number of unhappy Thais are growing, guess what coming soon....
buksida

Post by buksida »

2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban
Two bars in a northern suburb of Bangkok were the first establishments to be shut down under a new order issued by the military junta that bans selling alcohol within 300 meters of universities and schools throughout the country.

Junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha issued the ban on 23 July by invoking Section 44 of the interim charter, which grants him authority to unilaterally enact legally-binding orders.

The ban prohibits the sale of alcohol "in the vicinity of educational establishments" and student dormitories.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 1437893460
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

If the whole of the binthabaht area was completely wiped out, 'progress' is being made.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

If Binta is wiped out, Soi 80 and 94 will remain and even extended.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Binta is being wiped out by the excessive rents, which may or may not be a good thing. Personally I'd be sorry to see it go and have friends who have businesses there, but I frequent it less and less. This is partially due to soi 80's lower rents allowing them to offer very good value drink and food. Deema a does great thai food to eat in and take away and beer at B45. You can't get that at Binta!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

I believe Soi 94 is the new Soi 80 for people who live here. Any place where I can get a drink and its only locals around me is a good thing. I really like most of the bars in Soi 94 area, I hope that area never becomes a new Binterbaht..
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Imho it's very simpel,when a town grows there will open new buisness,bar, restaurant,7-11 or whatever,if people can make money they will try to do so.
When I came to BB n the mid 90's there was only BB and a few near the karaoke area and a few bars on the area near the tempel,you didn't even now about something like soi 80 or Kao Takiap,at least me andmy friend didn't.
Only time will tell how things will turn out but your guess is as good as mine 8)

:cheers: :cheers:
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

are there any bars owners on this forum?
what is the word now?

down here in Khao Takiap there is a school just a block away. it is near the Waring Bar and the bar next to the Waring. Many small restuarants serve beer here. I think the Time Machine bar may be within 300m. not sure.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that soi 80 started becoming the new BB a while back, and now soi 94 is in the early stages of becoming the new soi 80.

I was discussing the new 300 meter law with a Thai lady last night, and she informed me that despite what this new law says, it really only applies to venues such as bars, nightclubs and etc. Local shops and the like are exempt. Basically, entertainment venues selling alcohol will not be allowed to operate within 300 meters of any school or whatever.

Unless I'm missing something here, I cannot for the life of me see what this new law is going to achieve. Virtually every entertainment venue in Thailand only comes to life after educational establishments have closed for the day. I mean, has alcohol in classrooms and lecture halls really reached such a critical level?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

There has been new laws on the books in towns around the US targeting "adult entertainment venues". I believe, in all cases, existing places can stay open, but no new ones. In Thailand not sure if that is addressed
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Confusion reigns over Thai junta’s latest booze ban
On the face of it, the Thai junta’s attempts to limit the sale of alcohol around schools and universities is laudable. The reality, however, could see hundreds of bars and restaurants being put out of business in the coming weeks if authorities refuse to backtrack on new laws introduced last week.

Under the new, vaguely worded rules, no alcohol can be sold within 300 meters of “educational establishments”, an all-encompassing term that includes schools, vocational colleges, and universities. Some reports suggested that the ban area could be as much as 500 meters from schools, while the Phuket Gazette reported at the weekend that the ban will only apply to universities and colleges.

The new law was enacted under the military government’s special powers under Section 44 of the interim charter, which gives the junta near-absolute power.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/134373/co ... booze-ban/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I know one or two of the bars down the Binta are owned by the police and one of the owners of the newish Hua Hin Beer Garden complex.

Now maybe I'm wrong but have I read somewhere that complexes are except from the ban.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

kendo wrote:I know one or two of the bars down the Binta are owned by the police and one of the owners of the newish Hua Hin Beer Garden complex.

Now maybe I'm wrong but have I read somewhere that complexes are except from the ban.
yes, so the new law CLEARLY states, if you are not in an entertainment complex or "area" and within 300m of the perimeter of ANY type of school you need to stop selling alcohol. effective immediately.

Two bars in Bangkok closed, 1,347,234 to follow. :D
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Unless you pay the police to look the other way.......which they do already!!!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!