Where to buy Flowery Potatoes

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Where to buy Flowery Potatoes

Post by musungu »

All the potatoes I have bought from either Tesco, Makro have been too wet and useless for anything except mashing IMO - perhaps its the Irish in me! Anyway a long long time ago I did find some flowery ones in the HH main market but the lady could not explain to my wife if they had a name - in fact I do not think she knew the difference. I was once advised to buy what are called 'dirty potatoes'. but these were no different. So lovely crisp roast potatoes ala Maris Piper are a thing of the past UNLESS any of you experts have the answer
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Where to buy Flowery Potatoes

Post by margaretcarnes »

The market spuds are likely to be more fresh than the supermarket ones - where if they are wet/slimy they aren't fresh, or haven't been properly packed and stored.
I can't help with identifying the floury kind but you could try googling for pics of maris pipers etc and should get a better idea of what to look for in the market.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
richie22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by richie22 »

Sorry to say.Nowhere here .The vast majority come from China even the ones labeled Holland potatoes and the local ones are no better.
If you find any please let me know.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You could try Villa Market, they normally stock fruit and veg not found anywhere else in HH - at a price of course!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote:You could try Villa Market, they normally stock fruit and veg not found anywhere else in HH - at a price of course!!
Yes, at least Villa Market in Bangkok, stocks American imported Russet potatoes.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

The Russet would be an excellent choice
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

While I've not yet tried making roast potatoes here yet, I have on numerous occasions made very nice chips using potatoes bought at Makro, and if I remember correctly, other posters have reported similar results. In fact, I think Big Boy has said before that Mrs BB makes great chips with the local supermarket potatoes.

I might be wrong of course, but surely if you can make crispy chips with Makro potatoes, you should also be able to make crispy roast potatoes?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB also makes fantastic roast potatoes. However, what we must remember is that a fantastic roaster to me may be horrible to somebody else. Mrs BB part boils the potatoes first - I don't know if that's the norm, but I can't tell any difference from what she cooked in the UK.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Big Boy wrote:Mrs BB also makes fantastic roast potatoes. However, what we must remember is that a fantastic roaster to me may be horrible to somebody else. Mrs BB part boils the potatoes first - I don't know if that's the norm, but I can't tell any difference from what she cooked in the UK.
Well I don't know about this.

Makro and Tesco potatoes cannot make a decent roast potato IMO with their 'wet' type from China.

Par boil 5 mins, then roll in flour, put in heated frying pan 2/3 mins, sprinkle some salt and transfer to heated (200c) oven, after 30 mins you have yhem crispy on the firm skin and inside will be light, fluffy and creamy. UK varieties eg Maris Piper, King Edward, Cara, Desiree and the abovementioned Russet etc will achieve this - guaranteed!
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

musungu wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Makro and Tesco potatoes cannot make a decent roast potato
As I said, everybody has different expectations (just look at the Tom Yung Goong thread). My father taught my wife how to cook roast potatoes, the way I've enjoyed them since birth, while she was living in the UK. There has been absolutely no degradation since moving to Thailand.

I'm not saying anybody else would enjoy them, although feedback received says they would.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
musungu wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Makro and Tesco potatoes cannot make a decent roast potato
As I said, everybody has different expectations (just look at the Tom Yung Goong thread). My father taught my wife how to cook roast potatoes, the way I've enjoyed them since birth, while she was living in the UK. There has been absolutely no degradation since moving to Thailand.

I'm not saying anybody else would enjoy them, although feedback received says they would.
So, how does she cook them? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The only bit I know is that she part boils them first. I rarely step foot into our kitchen - I know my place.

I actually offered to wash dishes once, but had my head well and truly bitten off :D

Points 41; Position 18