Roadside restaurants, street food. Best of the best

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Roadside restaurants, street food. Best of the best

Post by GLCQuantum »

lola wrote:GLCQuantum, and where u try a best one?
They are all pretty much the same everywhere. I think it's a bit like 'beans on toast' to the Thais... difficult to get wrong.

:cheers:
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Street food is one of the truly best features of Thailand. This cornucopia of all styles of food is displayed very appetizingly on ever expanding street food market on 88th West Street.

Frequently I buy truly excellent pasta Carbonara or Bolognese from the gentleman in front of the small Tesco on 88th west. While his Carbonara is quite traditional his Bolognese is slightly more spicy than regularly. Very aptly so for Thai street food.

The stall is open from 5.30 PM to around 10.30 PM, but not on Saturdays.
A good-sized take-away Carbonara is THB 49 and Bolognese (Beef) THB 79.

Really, really well worth the price!

"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Farang wrote:Frequently I buy truly excellent pasta Carbonara or Bolognese from the gentleman in front of the small Tesco on 88th west. While his Carbonara is quite traditional his Bolognese is slightly more spicy than regularly. Very aptly so for Thai street food.
It's been a few weeks, but I've kept your post in the back of my mind. We've been out most of today, and wanted something easy, so we gave this recommendation a try.

The carbonara was excellent value for money - we all agreed on that.

The bolognese was very disappointing. It tasted OK, but I don't think any of us received any beef whatsoever,

We will use this guy again, but only for his carbonara.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Watch the cholesterol on that Carbonara BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

.... Continued from above.

As you say very tasty but did you watch the guy prepare it? Full of full fat cream and powdered flavouring.

The misses used to buy it for me and I loved it. Went to buy it for myself one night, watched him prepare it and haven't been back.

A

ZvV
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son went, so I didn't see it prepared.

My cholesterol levels are checked every 3 months - I don't have a problem. :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Henry 14th wrote:.... Continued from above.

As you say very tasty but did you watch the guy prepare it? Full of full fat cream and powdered flavouring.

The misses used to buy it for me and I loved it. Went to buy it for myself one night, watched him prepare it and haven't been back.

A

ZvV
ImageImage

I'll definitely be getting some on Friday evening after I pick my kids up from karate. The guy uses real full fat cream and only charges 49 baht? Now that is certainly a deal worth taking advantage of. :thumb:

Fortunately (of unfortunately) I don't know what my cholesterol status is, and I have no interest in finding out either. If something tastes good, I eat it. :laugh:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Takiap wrote:Fortunately (of unfortunately) I don't know what my cholesterol status is, and I have no interest in finding out either. If something tastes good, I eat it. :laugh:

A man after my own heart!! :thumb: :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Fortunately (of unfortunately) I don't know what my cholesterol status is, and I have no interest in finding out either. If something tastes good, I eat it.

I had that same philosophy when I retired and moved there, and I gained 30 lbs... :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Big Boy wrote:
Farang wrote:Frequently I buy truly excellent pasta Carbonara or Bolognese from the gentleman in front of the small Tesco on 88th west. While his Carbonara is quite traditional his Bolognese is slightly more spicy than regularly. Very aptly so for Thai street food.
It's been a few weeks, but I've kept your post in the back of my mind. We've been out most of today, and wanted something easy, so we gave this recommendation a try.

The carbonara was excellent value for money - we all agreed on that.

The bolognese was very disappointing. It tasted OK, but I don't think any of us received any beef whatsoever,

We will use this guy again, but only for his carbonara.
I have never yet had from this hawker (who, BTW, used to be a chef in a major hotel in HH) anything but good stuff. The spaghetti is always very aptly al dente and they'll do a cocktail of sauces for you as well. Lately my favourite has been a carbonara without cream, but with hu ra pha (basil) sauce. Tasty and piquant!

I expected everyone to understand by the price and location that this definitely is street food, not haute cuisine nor health-nut-fodder.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wasn't complaining - everybody has different tastes/likes. I enjoyed his carbonara, and have used him since :D

Points 48; Position 20
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

thanks big boy for the pasta man carbonara info. 60 baht i tried it a few nights ago. good and cheap. i have cut out almost all carbs from my diet but sometimes you have to say "what the f*ck". :)
Attachments
pasta.jpg
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

60 Baht :shock: 49 Baht for me :D

Points 48; Position 20
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i had six pieces of sushi at the soi 88 food court. can't remembr the name right now. the stand with the big sushi sign. :)

10 baht each piece so 60 baht for this or $1.76 USD.

I am from LA so I have been eating Sushi all my life, including from the most expensive sushi restaurants in the world. this is just ok quality sushi. but the same thing in LA would be about 240 baht from a grocery store and about 500 baht in a restaurant.
Attachments
sushi.jpg
Last edited by JamesWest on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Big Boy wrote:60 Baht :shock: 49 Baht for me :D
they asked me if i wanted large or small so i said large. maybe i looked like a tourist. :shock:

it was a lot of pasta. almost filled me up