Does Hua Hin Need a New Butchers Shop?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Boycie
Novice
Novice

Does Hua Hin Need a New Butchers Shop?

Post by Boycie »

Hi Forum ,
Do you think there's a need in Hua Hin for good retail butchers shop?.

Thanks for your replies.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: New Butchers Shop.

Post by Gregjam »

Not really. Hua Hin Ham & Bacon is recognised as a quality supplier for a lot of the expats and seems to cope with the demand. Any more may dilute potential profit and make the businesses untenable. Just my opinion.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote:Not really. Hua Hin Ham & Bacon is recognised as a quality supplier for a lot of the expats and seems to cope with the demand. Any more may dilute potential profit and make the businesses untenable. Just my opinion.
It's no doubt my fault for not going there very often, but last time I visited HH H&B the vast majority of their meat products were frozen - if that's wrong then it's time I visited again. Otherwise, I think a good fresh butchers would be welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

As well as HHH&B there is the French Boucherie in soi 88, and I think there may be a German butcher somewhere off soi 102?
There are also quite a few outlets for frozen cuts.

From a customer's point of view, the more the merrier, particularly if the quality is there, but I suspect Gregjam is right.

DB - good point. Have you tried the French place?

EDIT: Of course, if I remember correctly, don't most 'fresh' butchers serve meat that has been defrosted?
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:As well as HHH&B there is the French Boucherie in soi 88, and I think there may be a German butcher somewhere off soi 102?

From a customer's point of view, the more the merrier, particularly if the quality is there, but I suspect Gregjam is right.

Yes indeed, when he was on the main road and now in Soi 88 - I cure my own bacon and he is the only butcher I have found where I can buy proper loin of pork with enough of the belly on to make back bacon, the likes of Makro and even the Moo shop just supply the eye of the loin. I have bought a few other cuts there, although they tend to be more expensive than elsewhere, but I'm sure the quality is better too.
Big Boy

Re: Does Hua Hin Need a New Butchers Shop?

Post by Big Boy »

From my perspective, I would think the question should be, 'Can Hua Hin sustain a new butchers shop?'

OK, during high season, it would be like most businesses here - thriving. However, low season is long, and the main clientele would probably be Farangs. The more competition, the greater the likelihood that quality might have to suffer to remain in business.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Boycie wrote:Do you think there's a need in Hua Hin for good retail butchers shop?.
Interesting first post. Are you considering opening a butchers?
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:As well as HHH&B there is the French Boucherie in soi 88, and I think there may be a German butcher somewhere off soi 102?

EDIT: Of course, if I remember correctly, don't most 'fresh' butchers serve meat that has been defrosted?
Here that's quite possible and elsewhere too, but I believe if that is the case then certainly in a "relatively" well disciplined market such as the UK (ignoring the horsemeàt scandal!!) then it should be labelled as such.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

If you mean a real butchers where carcasses are hung in a storage room and the butcher knows his trade in terms of cuts then yes. Whether HH customer volume is large enough to sustain such a business is doubtful.

In the UK my wife would travel miles to find such a place but they are now few and far between. Supermarket type produce has stolen their trade and people are not as fussy now about selecting there meat. Can't think of anywhere in HH where you can get your ideal cut unless in the wet market.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:If you mean a real butchers where carcasses are hung in a storage room and the butcher knows his trade in terms of cuts then yes. Whether HH customer volume is large enough to sustain such a business is doubtful.

In the UK my wife would travel miles to find such a place but they are now few and far between. Supermarket type produce has stolen their trade and people are not as fussy now about selecting there meat. Can't think of anywhere in HH where you can get your ideal cut unless in the wet market.
As I was asked Richard, have you tried the French Butcher - he has cuts of meat that you are unlikely to get anywhere else e.g. Pork chops with kidney in, loin of pork with the skin on for crackling and many more?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ not tried it but will take a look :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ I could look but mixing work email with the forum could cause problems after a few Singha's :D
Where is the French Butchers shop?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Boycie
Novice
Novice

Post by Boycie »

caller wrote:
Boycie wrote:Do you think there's a need in Hua Hin for good retail butchers shop?.
Interesting first post. Are you considering opening a butchers?
Yes i would like to open a fresh meat shop just like in the uk wiith a full window show, i have found all the fresh meat supliers for Beef Lamb Pork, i make my own Bacon, Hams, & Sausages.

Thanks for all your replies.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Boycie wrote: Yes i would like to open a fresh meat shop just like in the uk wiith a full window show, i have found all the fresh meat supliers for Beef Lamb Pork, i make my own Bacon, Hams, & Sausages.
Why not - go for it!! If the prices are reasonable, I will be a regular customer for sure, as will my gf, who owns 2 businesses involving catering for westerners!!!
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

richard wrote:If you mean a real butchers where carcasses are hung in a storage room and the butcher knows his trade in terms of cuts then yes. Whether HH customer volume is large enough to sustain such a business is doubtful.

the french butcher on soi 88 hangs and butchers sides of beef in his storage room onsite..his beef is a thai/french cross and much superior to the local beef from supermarkets..similar quality to imported cuts