Hydro(ponic) Farm

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Hydro(ponic) Farm

Post by Big Boy »

I was sat outside this place earlier today. To get to it, come up Soi 94 from the Petchkasem direction, and turn right immediately after Amara Resort. It's a few hundred yards down that road on the right just before the little market.

I know there are a lot of people looking for healthy options (I don't even know if it is a healthy option), so I thought I'd mention it.
20140618_135303b.png
20140618_135303b.png (384.51 KiB) Viewed 771 times
20140618_135359b.png
20140618_135359b.png (390.6 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Re: Hydro(ponic) Farm

Post by PeteC »

They're sprouting up :shock: everywhere over here in the East also. The wife is sold on it as she says organic, no chemicals of any kind, and no bugs/worms as grown in greenhouses or similar with no dirt at all. Lets see if a fad or long term. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've no idea how long this particular farm has been there. I've lived a couple of hundred yards from it for over 2 years, but today was the first time I'd noticed it.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There's a similar farm selling hydroponic lettuce up soi 102, about 1 km past the railway line on the LHS travelling up from Petchkasm.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Amazing - I'd never even heard the term until I read it earlier. I'm waiting to hear what our health food experts think of it.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

You can buy prepacked hydroponic salad produce in Tescos, Big C, Villa, Golden Place. At least some of it is produced in Hua Hin. All supposedly washed and ready to eat. Haven't suffered any obvious ill-effects so far. I don't know enough to say if it's organic as the water it's grown in presumably has nutrients added and it would depend on whether the nutrients are organic or not. Tastes good. It used to be that you could only get some of these salad greens in Villa, imported and very expensive. I think it's great that they're available as local produce now.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't know if anyone is doing it in the Hua Hin area yet but another interesting modern farming technique is aquaponics. This is where crops grown in water, the same as in hydroponics, is combined with fish farming in tanks.
Basically the water is pumped around between the fish tanks and plant growing troughs so that the fish fertilize the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Amazing - I'd never even heard the term until I read it earlier. I'm waiting to hear what our health food experts think of it.
I used to live very close to the hydroponic farm on soi 102 and bought lettuce from there every week. They gave you a basket when you got there and you picked your own (i.e. the best plants) that they had. They may not be technically organic, but I'm sure they have less chemicals than plants grown in soil and being grown locally, you are supporting the local community, plus they are much cheaper and fresher than anything you can buy in the supermarkets.
SpoonZie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SpoonZie »

Hydroponic salad has more chemicals....
The way it works is a nutrient mix (tons of chemicals) is pumped round and round the system and the vegetables soak them up.

Main advantages of hydroponics vs regular is normally Hydroponic salad is bigger, cleaner as no soil present, and easier to avoid bugs that normally crawl on the floor.

Even then I've seen some Thai hydro farms use chemical methods of bug prevention, which will soak into the salad
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

My only concern is to do with the nutrient mix. Does it contain all the trace minerals we need? If it is deficient, then so are we.