Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Post by joelle »

Jack_Batty wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:34 pm Image
I finally have had my first visit to Mukti. Wow! Really, that was a delicious experience. We got there just after they had opened for the day. We were there for a little over 30 minutes, and we were the only customers. We received some very attentive and efficient waitstaff.

Kinda bummed that they didn’t have butter chicken, or anything but a potato version of samosas on the menu, but hey, gotta move out of the comfort zone, right? I’m glad I did. We ordered lamb rogan josh, prawn tikka masala, garlic naan, garlic fried rice, and the aforementioned potato samosas. Bottled water was our beverage of choice.

The prawns in the tikka masala were huge and plentiful. They were cooked perfectly. The masala was a little overpowering, but all in all, it was very nice. As were the samosas. The garlic naan was nice, but nothing special about it to set itself apart from anywhere else. In fact, I’ve had better at several other places.

The lamb in the rogan josh was also plentiful and fall-off-the-bone tender. I had never had rogan josh before, so I can’t compare it to anything, but I really liked the flavor. The garlic fried rice was also something I had never tried at an Indian restaurant. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen it on an Indian menu. I’m glad I moved away from the usual basmati, because this rice was fantastic. It got even better with heated leftovers the next day.

The restaurant itself is really nice inside. Parking is in the rear, very limited, and it’s a really narrow, gravel drive to get there. Gotta be careful you don’t encounter someone coming the other way, or else someone is going to have to back up. Anyways, great Indian restaurant to give us an option over Atcha. Those two restaurants will be my go-to places from now on when I’m craving Indian food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds and looks great
Price wise, could you please give an idea if you don't mind my asking?
:cheers:
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Total bill was 1450฿.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Jack_Batty wrote:Total bill was 1450฿.
For 2 or 3....?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:11 pm
For 2 or 3....?

There were two of us eating and it was the just the dishes that I mentioned.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Jack_Batty wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:11 pm
For 2 or 3....?

Quite pricey methinks especially with no alcohol

More than Atcha would you say?

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:27 pm
Jack_Batty wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:11 pm For 2 or 3....?

I suppose it is a little on the higher end. I was satisfied with what I got for the price, and we had enough leftover for a whole other meal the following day. The price didn’t deter me from making future visits.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I forgot that the gf ordered another rice to take home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Jack_Batty wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:27 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: There were two of us eating and it was the just the dishes that I mentioned.

I suppose it is a little on the higher end. I was satisfied with what I got for the price, and we had enough leftover for a whole other meal the following day. The price didn’t deter me from making future visits.
About same or slightly more than Atcha methinks

I went to Atcha a month ago and had a truly delicious meal(lamb in creamy sauce can't remember the Indian name)

But my 'system' took a fair old knock the next day, which had not happened with my 2 or 3 previous visits there.

So in spite of the delicious tasting food its put me off a bit

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Jack_Batty wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:34 pm Parking is in the rear, very limited, and it’s a really narrow, gravel drive to get there. Gotta be careful you don’t encounter someone coming the other way, or else someone is going to have to back up.
Great review.

I wasn't even aware Mukti had a rear car park! I go with a mate and we just park in the front.

After a couple of visits, I agree it's nearly up there with Atcha, but the first meal I had at Mukti, before they extended the menu, was better than the 2nd meal, which didn't reach the same heights. In particular with the Samosas. After my 1st visit I was raving about them, but the second time, the covering wasn't right, it more resembled a pasty type pastry and in places was quite thick, which was a new and not particularly enjoyable experience.

But I would still be happy to go back there again.
Talk is cheap
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

caller wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:02 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:34 pm Parking is in the rear, very limited, and it’s a really narrow, gravel drive to get there. Gotta be careful you don’t encounter someone coming the other way, or else someone is going to have to back up.
Great review.

I wasn't even aware Mukti had a rear car park! I go with a mate and we just park in the front.

After a couple of visits, I agree it's nearly up there with Atcha, but the first meal I had at Mukti, before they extended the menu, was better than the 2nd meal, which didn't reach the same heights. In particular with the Samosas. After my 1st visit I was raving about them, but the second time, the covering wasn't right, it more resembled a pasty type pastry and in places was quite thick, which was a new and not particularly enjoyable experience.

Yes, I noticed that about the samosas as well. I only had two little bites of one. It tasted good, but I was already full from the other stuff, so we took the other two home. My gf gobbled them up yesterday, so I can’t really comment further about them, but it’s apparent that she dug ‘em. Haha.
But I would still be happy to go back there again.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We had an S&S via delivery the other day and while it was filling, I found it pretty average. The vindaloo and madras tasted very similar, as if out of the same pot but more lime in the madras and little chili in the vindaloo so I had to add some. Total cost was 800 baht so eating Indian in HH isn't cheap.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:40 am We had an S&S via delivery the other day and while it was filling, I found it pretty average. The vindaloo and madras tasted very similar, as if out of the same pot but more lime in the madras and little chili in the vindaloo so I had to add some. Total cost was 800 baht so eating Indian in HH isn't cheap.
You didn't say how many dishes you bought for THB 800. For example, at Shiva (one of the best, I'm sure you know) three main and two side dishes, plus rice and naan and two parathas is around 1200 (or was early last year, my wife couldn't eat most foods after that). S&S quality is very good I think, but not up to Shiva standard.

I also like S&S, and madras and vindaloo are similar in many ways in most restaurants except the best; it really is usually just madras curry powder with a little extra chilli, also heatwise vindaloo will be prepared for 'farang' taste in many places unless you ask for it hotter. S&S dishes are actually pretty OK. MKK Tajmahal in Sa Song road is cheaper than S&S, because food is not quite the same standard and portions are smaller. Also you would not want to eat there, for me it's takeaway or delivery only 555.

You get what you pay for, high quality Indian is more expensive than bog standard curry house fare, and I think S&S is certainly much better than bog standard. Just as pizza at Rolling Stone is much more expensive than The Pizza Company (Pizza 1112). You get what you pay for, and S&S is sensibly priced when you look at the Indian restaurant market in HH. :thumb:

EDIT: I just did some checking to confirm my thoughts/facts:
https://www.spiceography.com/vindaloo-v ... ry-powder/
buksida

Post by buksida »

We had the two curries and a Biryani. As said many times before, it all comes down to personal taste and I've eaten a lot of curry in my years. When you order a vindaloo, you expect a bit of bite to it and this one was a little bland for my palate. Compared to Mukti, this was reasonably priced as you say - you're paying UK prices there.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm also a fan of S & S. Been using them for years so maybe just a habit. They were very popular when in soi 94 but since they moved to Petchkasem their trade has dropped off a lot. I believe it changed hands recently but kept the name.
Anyhow, always been satisfied with the food.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I gave S & S a try two years or so ago, because I had been reading great reviews. I had gone by the place a few times, on my way down the soi to Tsunami Sushi, and I never saw anyone there. One day I decided to give them a try. Again, no one was there. I ordered and ate the food at the restaurant. It was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, I got a mildly bad case of food poisoning from the meal. Thank god it came and went in about 36 hours. I am an intermittent faster, and prior to that meal, I had not eaten for 20 hours. I had been right as rain prior to eating there. There could be only one culprit. I have not been back since. I’ve been by several more times on the way to Tsunami and have only seen a few diners in that time. I’m hesitant to give them another shot. Anyone else had any issues, or did I just catch them on a bad day? That’s the thing that concerns me when I see a place with no customers. What are they doing with their stock of perishable food?