The Wine Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Re: Wine

Post by Ralfredo »

Dannie Boy wrote:I know a number of people here that against normal protocol, serve their red wine from the fridge the same as white
Me being one of them. Red wine at 30 degrees centigrade is barley drinkable, I think.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Me too!

I even added soda to a 13.5 % full bodied wine as I didn't like drinking it 'neat' during the day!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I even added soda to a 13.5 % full bodied wine as I didn't like drinking it 'neat' during the day!
OMG :shock: That's worse than the ruined abominations of beers called Shandy (Britain) or Radler (Germany). Oh well, each to his/her own. Who am I to judge.... I said in my first post it is all down to personal taste. I like my wine, whiskey, and beer neat (except for the hangover cure of a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer). :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer :cheers:
OMG, that is just so wrong in so many ways. :tsk:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

hhfarang wrote:except for the hangover cure of a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer
I think I prefer the hangover... :shock:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Ralfredo wrote:
hhfarang wrote:except for the hangover cure of a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer
I think I prefer the hangover... :shock:
Me too.......... pass the paracetamols :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

On second thoughts....throw away the morning-after-beer or better still keep it 'till later.

Now take the tomato juice, throw in a touch of lemon, a good slug of vodka and add a disproportionate measure of worcestershire sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Shake or stir the choice is yours but this is probably best handled by a partner, without a hangover. Pinch your nose and drink...........remember to breath......

Best way to avoid a hangover is to stay drunk!!!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Google bloody beer (sometimes called a red beer or a red eye). It's a famous drink in many parts of the world. It sounds gross, but tastes good. I find it best here with a Beer Chang.

Bristolian, I frequently use your remedy as well, but I change the regular salt to celery salt and also add a generous dose of Tabasco. :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

hhfarang wrote:Google bloody beer (sometimes called a red beer or a red eye). It's a famous drink in many parts of the world. It sounds gross, but tastes good. I find it best here with a Beer Chang.

Bristolian, I frequently use your remedy as well, but I change the regular salt to celery salt and also add a generous dose of Tabasco. :cheers:
Thanks, I'll try the celery salt and Tabasco in the morning.....I will, all being well, report back :cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

hhfarang wrote:I like my wine, whiskey, and beer neat (except for the hangover cure of a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer). :cheers:
You could always try the hangover breakfast version we used in Ireland after a hard Saturday night out.....

1 dozen fresh oysters accompanied by a pint glass filled with a half-pint of draft Guinness topped up with champagne or cava.

Doesn't actually cure the hangover, but you don't really care afterwards anyway..............
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Big Boy wrote:
hhfarang wrote:a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer :cheers:
OMG, that is just so wrong in so many ways. :tsk:
It only sounds wrong but I agree with hhfarang, it is a very good drink. A Bloody Mary is a great drink also. Both help with a hangover.
Bomber
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bomber »

barrys wrote:
hhfarang wrote:I like my wine, whiskey, and beer neat (except for the hangover cure of a half/half beer and tomato juice called a red beer or bloody beer). :cheers:
You could always try the hangover breakfast version we used in Ireland after a hard Saturday night out.....

1 dozen fresh oysters accompanied by a pint glass filled with a half-pint of draft Guinness topped up with champagne or cava.

Doesn't actually cure the hangover, but you don't really care afterwards anyway..............
For me the Bloody Mary option has always worked well but I must admit the oysters and Guinness option does sound good!!! :cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Wine in Thailand

Post by Khundon1975 »

Being a wine, rather than beer drinker, I always found it difficult to find a decent wine in Thailand.
Back in 1999/2000 I was given a bottle of red wine produced in Thailand and it was bloody awful but now things seem to have changed for the better.

We had a wine tasting session in our local here in the UK 3 weeks ago and one of the wines was produced in Thailand.
Imagine my surprise, when I tasted it, I found it to be very good for the price (£10 a bottle).
A bit of research and I discovered that the wine is a blend of grapes that come from Hua Hin Hills vinyard and the Floating Vinyards of Samut Sakorn (apparently, the only grapes in the World, that are harvested from a boat!)

I have since bought several of their wines and found them to be a perfect match, when eaten with Thai food.

The wine maker, Kathrin Puff, at Hua Hin Hills has done a great job in blending the grapes, to produce a range of good tasting and very drinkable wines.

I won't put the link to the company, as it may be against the rules but I will put the wine name and you can google it.

Monsoon Valley Blended White.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by NOKYAI »

Not sure how much Hua hin grapes will be in the blend! When I was last up there I was told it would be many years until any serous wine production could be expected as the vines are still very young.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Khundon1975 »

NOKYAI The website info says that it is a blend of the 2 grapes from the two sources I mentioned.
So I imagine that volumes of grapes produced now at Hua Hin Valley must be quite large, as they are exporting these wines all over the world.

Of course, I am not privy to the % of HHVW to SS grapes, only Kathrin Puff the wine maker knows that.

Have a look at their website. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.