Your best eating places in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Your best eating places in Hua Hin

Post by Homer »

aragon wrote:Mr Mon is good, but my favourite is Rom Mai in Takiab :thumb:
Rom Mai at the location where it fronted the street, at the location farther south where it is behind another business or at that second location after it changed owners?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

i'll vote for the Passport restaurant on Smorprong rd., about 1 1/2 k from Canal rd. the food is uniformly excellent and inexpensive. they have the largest and best tasting pork chops I've ever eaten.
they serve Thai and western food. the owner is from Boston and his Thai wife cooked there for several years. in addition to the regular menu there are always specials. the portions are large and they serve vegetarian as well as dead animal dishes. the food is fresh and prepared for each order. ask for the degree of spice that you want.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

HHTel wrote:Hasn't mini farm closed down/changed hands? Their shop closed some time ago.
Yes. However on this forum describing a restaurant as one's 'favorite' or going 'over and over' or going 'all the time' too often seems to mean the poster went twice a few years ago and intends to return.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Definitely not Coca at Bluport. Crab was mushy, clams undercooked and everything soaked in tomato sauce. Cajun is about spices, not sauce.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote:Definitely not Coca at Bluport. Crab was mushy, clams undercooked and everything soaked in tomato sauce. Cajun is about spices, not sauce.
aside from the food court I've yet to eat a me :cuss: al I enjoyed at bluport but I sure paid for it. :cuss:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

handdrummer wrote:
RCer wrote:Definitely not Coca at Bluport. Crab was mushy, clams undercooked and everything soaked in tomato sauce. Cajun is about spices, not sauce.
aside from the food court I've yet to eat a me :cuss: al I enjoyed at bluport but I sure paid for it. :cuss:
excuse me meal, not "me". I've not resorted to self-cannibalism yet.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote:aside from the food court I've yet to eat a me :cuss: al I enjoyed at bluport but I sure paid for it. :cuss:
I've enjoyed the food at wine connection.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've eaten at the wine connection in Bangkok and enjoyed the meal but not at bluport. the meal was skimpy, overcooked and overpriced.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote:I've eaten at the wine connection in Bangkok and enjoyed the meal but not at bluport. the meal was skimpy, overcooked and overpriced.
Fair enough, but that's not been my personal experience, bar one dish - the paella for two - where the rice was a little dry, but the flavour was superb and didn't really spoil the experience. With a simple starter of serrano ham, parmesan (slivers) and rocket salad (although I did ask for more balsamic), that has been my most enjoyable meal in a long time.

I thought the prices at all their restaurants were the same? They certainly put a faux western eating experience such as sizzler to shame.
Talk is cheap
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

The only place I regularly eat for more than B40 is S&S Indian on 94. This, and Pizza Garden (on 94 too) are IMO the best restaurants in Hua Hin. As a former napolitana pizza chef I can attest that PG pizzas are pretty damn authentic (when the owner is in)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote:
handdrummer wrote:I've eaten at the wine connection in Bangkok and enjoyed the meal but not at bluport. the meal was skimpy, overcooked and overpriced.
Fair enough, but that's not been my personal experience, bar one dish - the paella for two - where the rice was a little dry, but the flavour was superb and didn't really spoil the experience. With a simple starter of serrano ham, parmesan (slivers) and rocket salad (although I did ask for more balsamic), that has been my most enjoyable meal in a long time.

I thought the prices at all their restaurants were the same? They certainly put a faux western eating experience such as sizzler to shame.
overpriced because the quality wasn't up to the price.

I only eat at the salad bar in sizzler so I can't comment on the rest of the menu.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote:overpriced because the quality wasn't up to the price.
Okay, all I can reiterate is that's not been my personal experience.
Talk is cheap