new cafe soi 102

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: new cafe soi 102

Post by Bristolian »

I Agree with Pleng

On average the choice of food and style of cuisine has improved immensely in the last 10 years or so.

Because the UK has traditionally had such a poor reputation for its dining choices, the reputation, unjustifiably, still exists.

Today You can easily select from so many choices it is unbelievable.

The choice of wine that is available reflects that the UK has no wine industry to protect, wines are available from everywhere and at competitive prices. Try buying a SA, NZ, or any other county's offering, in France, Italy etc and see what you will pay!!

The UK is today on of the best places to eat in Europe. Even the traditional pub grub has gone upmarket, especially in many of the county inns/taverns.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've tried it this evening, and wasn't disappointed. 3 of us all had fish and chips. I had mushies at a supplement of 15 Baht, my wife didn't have peas, and my son had normal peas.

Portion size was, as I feared too large for me (Mrs BB also). In effect, my son had 2 dinners, and Mrs BB and I had half a dinner each. Mushies were not the best I've had, but TIT, and it was a very good effort :D

The fish was just fish to me (but I'm not a fish and chips expert). However, my son who has been craving fish and chips for over 12 months now kept saying how good they were, and by far the best he's had in Thailand.

We were given a choice of crinkle or home made chips. Guessing that crinkle would be frozen/come out of a packet, we all opted for home made. They were perfect, and just the way Mrs BB would do them at home.

Total cost, with 2 soft drinks and a pot of tea was 392 Baht.

Gladly, we were not overwhelmed by the expected reception/hospitality, as I'd have probably found that a bit of a turn off. Waitress/customer interface was as you would expect.

A good meal at a very fair price.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Waitress/customer interface was as you would expect.
:lach: :lach:

I'll never understand your pea obsession (which I'm delighted to see isn't shared by the more discerning members of your family), but I plan to try the fish 'n chips tomorrow.

I'm also delighted to know the staff are not as gushy as I feared!

EDIT:
...my son who has been craving fish and chips for over 12 months now kept saying how good they were
I meant to say that if your son's taste in fish is anything like his taste in young ladies, I'm expecting a fish-fest.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Well, all good things (at least many things I like here) must come to an end and the Hua Hin 99er Cafe is already up for sale with a sign out front. When the new owners took over Pan Din Tong on Phetkasem at the mouth of soi 106 I thought it was the best Mexican/European/Thai restaurant in town and it lasted three months due to lease problems. Now this cafe will probably be gone soon and I doubt the new owner will keep the price/quality structure, but one can always hope!

Anyway, I'm having another pizza from next door and I swear they are the best around. Try the pepperoni/sausage/tomato combo; it's excellent. He makes his own pizza dough though and it was not ready so I had to go and come back again in 40 minutes to get my pie. It's worth it though so get his number and call ahead to make sure the dough is ready to avoid disappointment or a long wait.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It appears that I spoke (or in this case wrote) too soon. I went to pick up my pizza today after the above post and the wait turned into 50 minutes and the quality doesn't appear to be consistent. The first Pepperoni/sausage pizza I got a few days ago tasted wonderful and I believe it had some kind of real Italian style sausage inside. The one today had what Thais call sausage or we Americans call hot dogs sliced up inside with the pepperoni which wasn't even in the same league with the first one.... oh well... :cry:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:I meant to say that if your son's taste in fish is anything like his taste in young ladies, I'm expecting a fish-fest.
I actually think if it was a choice between the fish or girlfriend yesterday evening, the fish might have won (for a short while anyway) :wink: .
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Again, things change here faster than I can keep up. The for sale sign in front of Hua Hin 99er was gone the next day. I asked that bubbly lady if it sold already and she said she bought it. I guess it was co-owned before and she bought out the other person and decided to keep it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It appears that I spoke (or in this case wrote) too soon. I went to pick up my pizza today after the above post and the wait turned into 50 minutes and the quality doesn't appear to be consistent. The first Pepperoni/sausage pizza I got a few days ago tasted wonderful and I believe it had some kind of real Italian style sausage inside. The one today had what Thais call sausage or we Americans call hot dogs sliced up inside with the pepperoni which wasn't even in the same league with the first one.... oh well... :cry:
I think the other thread on the pizza place explains both the wait and the inconsistency I experienced on my 2nd visit. The place is brand new, and didn't even have a sign out yet both times I went so I guess he was still in some kind of soft opening and is still getting his act together.

I'll give it another try soon and report back because the first pizza I got there was really one of the best I've had here. It should be a good place if he can get through his opening jitters.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm going to pour a small splash of cold water on the 99er place. It may be that my expectations were too high because of all the hype it's had here, or it may just be that Mrs D-M's fish and chips just can't be beat, but three of us went the other day, and although there was nothing to complain about, there was certainly nothing to write home about either.

The fish was tasty, the batter well cooked, but the amount of actual fish inside the batter explains how they manage to do it for 99 baht. The home-made chips were soggy and disappointing - I like mine with a bit of crisp 'n crunch. Frozen peas are frozen peas.

The mince and mashed potatoes looked and smelled delicious. I'll go back at some point to try some of the other options, but not for the fish 'n chips.

Having said that, of course, the total for the three of us including beers was not much more than 500 baht!
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yes D-M. I wouldn't say they have the best fish and chips and peas in town, but I would say they have the best I've had for 99 baht. I put this place in the "value for money" category.

I've been looking at the mince and mash but I don't really know what mince is; minced what? :?
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

hhfarang wrote:^ Yes D-M. I wouldn't say they have the best fish and chips and peas in town, but I would say they have the best I've had for 99 baht. I put this place in the "value for money" category.

I've been looking at the mince and mash but I don't really know what mince is; minced what? :?
HHF

Minced beef in the West..... Here anyone's guess.....

The 3 times I have eaten here...... I could not complain..... It was good grub at the price....

Sausage and curry sauce.... good.... far better than i was expecting....

Fish and homemade chips twice..... No complaints whatsoever.....

Portions were big enough for me..... Nothing soggy..... Just allround nice..... And i would not hesitate to go back.....
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

"Nice" - yes, that probably sums it up quite well! :laugh:

No need to defend the place, as I wasn't in attack mode - just trying to put things into perspective.
The boss lady was genuinely friendly without going OTT, and it was obvious she has plenty of regulars she knows well.
If I lived round the corner, I'd be a regular. I don't, so I won't. :cheers:
This is the way
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

dtaai-maai wrote:"Nice" - yes, that probably sums it up quite well! :laugh:

No need to defend the place, as I wasn't in attack mode - just trying to put things into perspective.
The boss lady was genuinely friendly without going OTT, and it was obvious she has plenty of regulars she knows well.
If I lived round the corner, I'd be a regular. I don't, so I won't. :cheers:
Hello DM

I thought nice summed it up rather well..... For 99 Baht I dont think I would have been expecting to find anything that fell into the '' above '' nice category.....

I was not defending the place..... I merely replied to HHF..... and then decided to add my culinary experience of the place....

For 2 quid I would not be expecting a gastronomical delight.....

Agreed.... if I lived around the corner I would be a regular..... And if I am down that way I would certainly make a point of stopping off there.....

Each to there own.....

:cheers:
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

hhfarang wrote:^ Yes D-M. I wouldn't say they have the best fish and chips and peas in town, but I would say they have the best I've had for 99 baht. I put this place in the "value for money" category.

should be minced beef, here it may be minced pork
jmac
Novice
Novice

Post by jmac »

[Mod edit: Post removed, please contact us if you wish to use this forum for business announcements.]