Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:for what it's worth: I looked at a bread maker at lotus today. it's called a Princess, 6000 baht. I went online and read some reviews and won't be buying it. can anyone recommend a reliable machine that's available in Thailand?
thanks.
Lazada have some. This one has good reviews: http://www.lazada.co.th/morries-breadma ... =1&sc=EVYW
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Pagey »

I looked at a video on Lazada for a Homemate bread maker but it seems a bit long winded with a lot of ingredients :

200g milk
one egg
0ne tbsp rice bran oil
20g rice bran oil shortening
350g bread flour
60g sugar
16g powdered milk
6g yeast
Half tsp salt

And only 3 hours later a 1000g loaf is ready.......

Seems a lot of effort and hassle to me or aren't all those ingredients necessary?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pagey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm I looked at a video on Lazada for a Homemate bread maker but it seems a bit long winded with a lot of ingredients :

200g milk
one egg
0ne tbsp rice bran oil
350g bread flour
60g sugar
16g powdered milk
6g yeast
Half tsp salt

Seems a lot of effort and hassle to me or aren't all those ingredients necessary?
For a simple loaf the answer is no, many of the ingredients are not only not necessary, I'm not sure that I'd want to eat the end product. Most traditional loafs consist of just flour, salt, yeast and water. A teaspoon or two of sugar will speed up the process but you can make bread without it, just allow up to another hour to the whole process, but room temperature also make a big difference. The addition of a small amount of oil will make a slightly softer dough. Some recipes can have a small amount of milk added to water, but I've never seen one that has only milk and as for the addition of an egg, there may be some recipes where it is called for (maybe in a sweet bread with added fruit), it's not a normal ingredient for a standard traditional loaf.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Don't do it myself, but one of the attractions has to be the tantalising aroma while it is baking. :D
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

I haven't made bread in years, but when l did l didn't have a "bread maker" and honestly don't know what the advantage of having one might be. Like Dannie Boy we live in the ME (Bahrain in our case) and the quality of the bread can be variable, but we have found that Alosra (equivalent of Spinneys for you DB), produce a pretty decent loaf, baked on premises........but now l'm straying off topic....sorry :bow:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

aragon wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm I haven't made bread in years, but when l did l didn't have a "bread maker" and honestly don't know what the advantage of having one might be. Like Dannie Boy we live in the ME (Bahrain in our case) and the quality of the bread can be variable, but we have found that Alosra (equivalent of Spinneys for you DB), produce a pretty decent loaf, baked on premises........but now l'm straying off topic....sorry :bow:
I came back to Abu Dhabi last year after "retiring" in 2011 and Spinneys bread doesn't seem to be as good as I remember but irrespective, I enjoy making my own. As for the flour, the White Swan brand bread flour available in Thailand works well although I tend to do a roughly 50:50 mix with wholemeal. I'm actually making a loaf today so may post a photo later.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

aragon wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm I haven't made bread in years, but when l did l didn't have a "bread maker" and honestly don't know what the advantage of having one might be. Like Dannie Boy we live in the ME (Bahrain in our case) and the quality of the bread can be variable, but we have found that Alosra (equivalent of Spinneys for you DB), produce a pretty decent loaf, baked on premises........but now l'm straying off topic....sorry :bow:
Some clear advantages are:

No variation in results if ingredients are properly measured as each stage is precisely timed and kneading consistent.
Temperature of the proving dough is precisely maintained.
It switches itself off after baking, so need to keep an eye on the time/a timer to ensure baking as per your wishes (light crust, dark crust or simply forgetting it and ending up with a King Alfred style loaf). Should open it say max 20-30 mins after baking though, or condensation may spoil the crust. Never worked out how to use our oven timer anyway.
The automatic addition of nuts, raisins, seeds, etc. at the correct stage of mixing by the self-opening dispenser in the lid (Panasonic SD-253, old now).
It has a start timer so you can wake to the smell of baking bread if you want!

I'm not so lazy as to mind kneading dough (maybe), but the advantages of a breadmaker seem quite strong to me.

As a sidebar, in UAE Spinneys loaves (uncut) aren't too bad really, but the loaves I make in Thailand are definitely superior in both texture and taste.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Makes a great loaf IMO, using White Swan flour.

Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Pagey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm I looked at a video on Lazada for a Homemate bread maker but it seems a bit long winded with a lot of ingredients :

200g milk
one egg
0ne tbsp rice bran oil
350g bread flour
60g sugar
16g powdered milk
6g yeast
Half tsp salt

I meant to add the link but I forgot. Homemate bread maker 4,340 Baht.

http://www.lazada.co.th/homemate-920w-h ... YW&boost=1
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Today's effort
Attachments
IMG_0039.JPG
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 pm Today's effort
Nice dark crust on that bad boy.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 pm Today's effort
Nice dark crust on that bad boy.
It was 50% wholemeal flour which accounts for that, plus maybe a few minutes extra :laugh:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I still recommend one of these,and you can use it for other things to.
Choose one with high watt,I have one called Otto wich was about 1000 baht.,makes good roast,chicken wings and whatever you fancy.

:cheers: :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

bsdk1960 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 pm I still recommend one of these,and you can use it for other things to.
Choose one with high watt,I have one called Otto wich was about 1000 baht.,makes good roast,chicken wings and whatever you fancy.

where did you get your otto bread maker? I've found an otto bread slicer (he invented it) but no bread maker.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:59 am
bsdk1960 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 pm I still recommend one of these,and you can use it for other things to.

where did you get your otto bread maker? I've found an otto bread slicer (he invented it) but no bread maker.

He's not referring to a bread maker, he's referring to an Otto Turbo Oven which you can buy at Makro for about 1,000 baht.

I bought one after Nureus post on here about them, and I can confirm that they are excellent value for money and work really well. I've used mine for all sorts of things, including cookies/biscuits, cakes, roasts and etc.

I did try making a loaf of bread once but it never turned out as I was hoping for, but in my defense, it was the first time in my life I had tried to make bread so I can't really blame the oven, and especially since bdsk1960 has made bread successfully in his one.

I guess I will have to try again, maybe a bit later in the day.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact