Home brew in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: Home brew in Thailand

Post by buksida »

"Col" anything can get away with anything at the moment!

Not sure if the law applies to the actual creation of said brew for personal consumption or the sale of it. Anyone have a reference?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote:"Col" anything can get away with anything at the moment!

Not sure if the law applies to the actual creation of said brew for personal consumption or the sale of it. Anyone have a reference?
Apparently section 5 of the 1950 Liquor act is the relevant bit but I can't find the actual act in English. From reading around on the net, it seems that as long as you don't sell it, it's technically illegal but only punishable by a small fine so some people risk it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote:
buksida wrote:"Col" anything can get away with anything at the moment!

Apparently section 5 of the 1950 Liquor act is the relevant bit but I can't find the actual act in English. From reading around on the net, it seems that as long as you don't sell it, it's technically illegal but only punishable by a small fine so some people risk it.
In the article posted by Buks above, it mentions a fine of 200 baht for brewing it, but significantly more for selling it, so if that's the case you can understand people taking a risk who make it for their own personal consumption. In my younger days I used to brew various bitter beers, boiling the mash in a SS Baby Burco and got excellent results.
eatme.sandwich
Novice
Novice

Post by eatme.sandwich »

You can get a "Coopers Home Brew Kit" imported from Singapore email Ray at ibrew. raymond@ibrew.com.sg the import costs for the kit are about $55 - $130 depending on how fast you want it delivered. You can also import from them all the ingredients sugars Hops ect.
It is illegal to brew your own alcohol in LOS but the fine is 200b, so get fined and keep the receipt! However is you decide to sell your home brew, then its very serious and 5 years inside is one option! There is an underground network across thailand of bars selling homebrew, but you need the password to get in a glass at the bars! So i hear..
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Forget all this fancy shmancy brewing... just get some cereal, brown sugar and yeast.

CHEEKY KIDS BREW BEER FROM CEREAL AT SCHOOL

CEREAL has been banned from schools – because students were using the breakfast treat to brew beer.

Cheeky pupils mixed cereal with brown sugar and yeast, then left it to ferment in the sun, when term began this week.
This mixture then turned to alcohol which they drank "right under the noses" of education officials, according to reports.
The craze is thought to have swept across several schools in Zimbabwe.

Now bosses have told parents their kids won't be allowed to bring in popular cereals, including Morvite.
A parent told local media: "We received messages advising us not to buy Morvite when buying groceries for our children.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-n ... ol-offbeat
buksida

Post by buksida »

With the ongoing drink ban it is a good time to resurrect this thread.

I've been brewing for while but have increased output now. It is a little tougher getting the yeast to behave as temperatures rise but still doable. Very easy to get a good drop without spending thousands on equipment.

It tastes way better than Thai chemical lagers anyway, is a fraction of the cost, and is better for your body.

Anyone else brewing?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 am With the ongoing drink ban it is a good time to resurrect this thread.

I've been brewing for while but have increased output now. It is a little tougher getting the yeast to behave as temperatures rise but still doable. Very easy to get a good drop without spending thousands on equipment.

It tastes way better than Thai chemical lagers anyway, is a fraction of the cost, and is better for your body.

Anyone else brewing?
Where do you get your ingredients? I used to brew “proper” bitter 30 plus years ago in the UK and to a lessor extent when I was working in Pakistan using kits that we smuggled in on our trips back to the UK.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I used to make my own beer and wine back in the UK. I've toyed with the idea but it should be noted that it's still illegal. It was fine when the fine was 200 baht for making it and 5,000 for selling it but some time ago that was raised to 100,000 and 50,000.
As usual, it's not enforced and I've never heard of any arrests ever being made, but sill.........
buksida

Post by buksida »

Pretty much everything is 'illegal' in this country and if I worried about it all and played to their tune all the time there would be no point in living here!
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:21 pm Where do you get your ingredients? I used to brew “proper” bitter 30 plus years ago in the UK and to a lessor extent when I was working in Pakistan using kits that we smuggled in on our trips back to the UK.
All sourced locally except for the yeast which comes from Wilko.

It is not proper 'beer' as such, more of a herbal 'meade' made from sugar, honey, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, anise, nutmeg, cha-em, ginseng and whatever else I can find!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Reminds me of my time working in Saudi, alcohol was difficult (but not impossible) to get hold of, so I tried making wine using grape juice and adding yeast - it wasn’t exactly vintage stuff but it was drinkable so I’m sure that making it here wouldn’t be too difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep - the crappy lagers here and total lack of selection (unless you want to spend a fortune on imported stuff) make it a worthwhile endeavour IMO. :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:21 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 am With the ongoing drink ban it is a good time to resurrect this thread.

Anyone else brewing?
Where do you get your ingredients? I used to brew “proper” bitter 30 plus years ago in the UK and to a lessor extent when I was working in Pakistan using kits that we smuggled in on our trips back to the UK.
I've not brewed anything myself but if I was in Thailand full time I would be well into it! I've done some research and there are suppliers in Thailand:
https://thaibrewshop.co/
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:52 pm Reminds me of my time working in Saudi, alcohol was difficult (but not impossible) to get hold of, so I tried making wine using grape juice and adding yeast - it wasn’t exactly vintage stuff but it was drinkable so I’m sure that making it here wouldn’t be too difficult

My brother was one of the main sidiki suppliers in Jeddah in the 80's and 90's, nearly got busted a few times :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:52 pm Reminds me of my time working in Saudi, alcohol was difficult (but not impossible) to get hold of, so I tried making wine using grape juice and adding yeast - it wasn’t exactly vintage stuff but it was drinkable so I’m sure that making it here wouldn’t be too difficult

My brother was one of the main sidiki suppliers in Jeddah in the 80's and 90's, nearly got busted a few times :thumb:
I was there in the mid-2000’s and based in the Eastern Province, but had a couple of trips to Jeddah and on one occasion visited one of the Directors of our partners (Saudi Oger) and he had 2 cases of JW Black Label as well as other spirits - if you were in the know, it wasn’t difficult to get it.

As for Thailand, the link supplied by Steve G looks interesting - I’m just intrigued that if home brewing is supposedly illegal here,how this Company operates?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:32 pm
sateeb wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm

I was there in the mid-2000’s and based in the Eastern Province, but had a couple of trips to Jeddah and on one occasion visited one of the Directors of our partners (Saudi Oger) and he had 2 cases of JW Black Label as well as other spirits - if you were in the know, it wasn’t difficult to get it.

As for Thailand, the link supplied by Steve G looks interesting - I’m just intrigued that if home brewing is supposedly illegal here,how this Company operates?
I think he left there early 2000's, worked engineering for Saudia :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.