Soi 94 - More changes

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: Soi 94 - More changes

Post by BaaBaa. »

Dr Michael wrote:Oh great another 7/11 just what we need--why dont they build 2 one on each corner , the same as at Soi 88 just over the tracts, the junction I call 14/22
:laugh:

They have near 116, we had nothing up here a few years ago, now we've got 7s almost opposite each other. :wink:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, but if it stops people trying to cross Petchkasem then it's no bad thing to have two...
This is the way
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

BaaBaa. wrote:
Dr Michael wrote:Oh great another 7/11 just what we need--why dont they build 2 one on each corner , the same as at Soi 88 just over the tracts, the junction I call 14/22
:laugh:

They have near 116, we had nothing up here a few years ago, now we've got 7s almost opposite each other. :wink:
When I worked in Taipei they told me the formula was one 7-11 every 100m. The high population density apparently yielded a market of about 10,000 customers per store.
Happiness can't buy money
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I tried out the fish & chips at the Bar Tender a couple of weeks based on some recommendations from another thread on this board.

They weren't for me. So much breading on the fish I could not find the fish. Chips were soggy.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

so after a few months and I'm sure a number of "tastings" by ex pat community, which place wins best HH fish and chips award do you think ?
petesie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by petesie »

Come on Pagey...you started this. :D
Your here now where you should have been all along........
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Not the best in town but I like Mr Mons on 112 for 180 baht. Local for me and does decent food reasonably cheap. I'll bet Tiks further up the road does good Fish and Chips too, everything else is spot on.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

If you're happy with fish fried in bread crumbs there are any number of places that do a decent fish 'n chips, but if you want UK-style battered fish that narrows it down substantially. Two quite different dishes IMO.

One thing about Mr Mon is that he makes his own tartar sauce - very tasty.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

centermid7 wrote:I tried out the fish & chips at the Bar Tender a couple of weeks based on some recommendations from another thread on this board.

They weren't for me. So much breading on the fish I could not find the fish. Chips were soggy.

Now I'm confused. The last time I had Fish n Chips at Bar Tender(early May) the fish was battered NOT breaded and the chips were home made. :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ your terminology is correct and mine was very incorrect. Sorry.

The fish at BT was battered, not breaded, and was was to heavy for me.

I'll find my way out to Mr Mon and see if I like that better. I'll bet I do.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

centermid7 wrote:I'll find my way out to Mr Mon and see if I like that better. I'll bet I do.
You may well do, but it's a bit like comparing roast beef to sirloin steak.
This is the way
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

i've not been to Mr Mons but I will try there also. Had F & C at Tiks on 112, nice but breaded not batter and portion and price OK. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

As I said, cheap and cheerful, not award winning fish and chips.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Cod Wars..... :wink: :laugh:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
lagojardin

Post by lagojardin »

I called in and had a beer with "ron" in his new place next door to Bar Tender and we had a chat in his - beer garden - looks like it could be quite nice. He tells me he is hoping to eventually open as a farang/Thai garden restaurant and be back doing the fish and chips in a week or so, once the kitchen is complete. He sold Bar Tender to Luciano who used to own the Italian on Soi 94, apparently Luciano is going to change the name and change things around in the bar, maybe opening a restaurant.
I called in for a chat with Luciano also and the bar is looking very nice.

I still rate Pins fish and chips the best I have tasted in Thailand though and cannot wait to have another "fix".
Incidentally, the fish are battered, not breaded... AND the chips are "proper" chips, freshly made from imported spuds.