Fish and Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Fish and Chips

Post by hhinner »

I was just in Makro in Pranburi, after reading this thread. No sign of any cod there, unfortunately. Plenty of pangasius though. Yuch!!!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

hhinner wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:14 pm I was just in Makro in Pranburi, after reading this thread. No sign of any cod there, unfortunately. Plenty of pangasius though. Yuch!!!
agree, I never buy or eat that pangasius stuff, Yuch !!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The product in Makro,150 baht for approx 6 fillets,does it actually state on the packet its cod,and where it is sourced from.At that price it has to be the cheapest white fish fillet available anywhere,especially if it is actually cod.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

hhinner wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:14 pm I was just in Makro in Pranburi, after reading this thread. No sign of any cod there, unfortunately. Plenty of pangasius though. Yuch!!!
I don't think you'll find anything like the range of produce in Pranburi than you will at HH.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Fish and Chips

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
I don't think you'll find anything like the range of produce in Pranburi than you will at HH.
Agree. HH is better (and cleaner) for fresh stuff. Pran has more hardware and packaged/canned food.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thistle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 pm The product in Makro,150 baht for approx 6 fillets,does it actually state on the packet its cod,and where it is sourced from.At that price it has to be the cheapest white fish fillet available anywhere,especially if it is actually cod.
I have no idea where it is sourced from, but yes, it is clearly labeled as Frozen Cod Fillets 700 - 900 grams/pack.

Personally, I would be very surprised if Makro tried to sell it as cod if it were, in fact, something else.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

we make fish and chips tonight,will report back how they taste,but they looks good :munch:

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

hhinner wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 pm But is it really cod? http://www.coastalliving.com/food/seaf ... /kinds-cod

Thanks for the link. :D

I notice that hake is sometimes used in place of cod, and since I grew up in Cape Town where hake is widely used in F&C shops, I can say that it is the same, if not better than cod. :duck:

THe article mentions butter fish as well, which seems a bit strange to me given that it is actually quite different in taste and texture.

Anyway, whether I bought real cod at Makro or does is not really an issue for me, so long as it tastes okay, and better than pangasius. Having said that, I don't dislike pangasius as much as I used to. In fact, I don't really mind it at all these days, but I find it only comes out the way I like it if I cook it in my deep frier. Still, a little voice in my head insists on reminding me that it is farmed freshwater fish, a concept which is alien to any Capetonian. :D

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Wife made e Fish and chips yesterday with the cod from Makro and it was realy nice,the structure looks like cod and tastedlike cod,so no complaints from me exept we dont have more room in our freezer. :banghead:
Was by Makro again today and still have them at 155 baht :wink:

My wife learnt to make them when she worked at the former Billy Bar ,so I send good Billy a thought ,who Im gonna look up soon .

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Takiap wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:22 pm I notice that hake is sometimes used in place of cod, and since I grew up in Cape Town where hake is widely used in F&C shops, I can say that it is the same, if not better than cod.
I prefer Hake to Cod as well, when you can get it as an alternative. I used to be a regular visitor to the far west of Cornwall and it was available in some fish and chip shops down there.

But I'm a Londoner, so for me, nothing beats Rock (Huss or Rock Salmon) as the fish for fish and chips.
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ which is shark. Haddock was my favourite, but I don't know if it's even available now.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But I'm a Londoner, so for me, nothing beats Rock (Huss or Rock Salmon) as the fish for fish and chips.
That's dogfish!

I'm from Hull which used to be very big on fish. My mother (the fish connoisseur) will not eat cod. She worked at 'Birds Eye' for many years and she says that cod is one of the most cancerous fish and riddled with worms! She gives most other fish quite a good review and one of her favourites for 'fish and chips' is John Dory.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:
That's dogfish!

I'm from Hull which used to be very big on fish. My mother (the fish connoisseur) will not eat cod. She worked at 'Birds Eye' for many years and she says that cod is one of the most cancerous fish and riddled with worms! She gives most other fish quite a good review and one of her favourites for 'fish and chips' is John Dory.
John Dory is a premium fish but comes at a premium price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:36 pmThat's dogfish!
Yup, loads of names for it, but always sold as 'rock'.
Talk is cheap