Fish and Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Fish and Chips

Post by Big Boy »

blue05 wrote:plus Barry has them as well but he is a miserable git and you may get short shrift
:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

blue05 wrote:
Pagey wrote:Just ask the staff in the bar to borrow knife & fork etc, all bars have them as the girls need them to eat their daily fix of somtam, noodle soup etc.
plus Barry has them as well but he is a miserable git and you may get short shrift
Yes Barry is a miserable old git but he enjoys being so. Just tell him to his face that he is a miserable old Lancashire git and you'll make him happy. Reminds me of the famous Binta bar owner 'Fu**ing Fred' . He was a real cockney and loved to insult anybody who stepped into his bar. Give him 'sh1t' back and you were friends for life and could then spend many happy hours throwing insults at each other.

Unfortunately Hua Hin is running thin in real characters now
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

My Fish and Chips UPDATE :laugh: :laugh:

As I've said on here before, I had by all accounts given up on trying to find decent fish and chips in Hua-Hin. I had a really good experience at an English pub/restaurant down on the islands, and since then every time I have ordered fish and chips, it's been a huge let down. Yes, I do enjoy breaded fish and French fries, but it is NOT fish and chips, at least not in my book.

Last year I eventually let down my guard and once again ordered fish and chips, this time from a place on Soi 94, based on recommendations I read here on the forum. No names and no insults, but that meal was enjoyed by my Rottweiler. When I order fish and chips, I don't expect farmed fresh water crap from Vietnam. :twisted:

Last night, I once again threw caution to the wind as I walked into Victorias(Barry), secretly vowing to forever hate Richard and a certain Irishman from Pranburi if I got let down again. Well, well, well........What a bloody wonderful surprise I got........REAL FISH AND REAL CHIPS COOKED PERFECTLY, and smothered with salt and vinegar by me.

I guess Barry has a new frequent customer. Actually more than just one new customer, considering how my eldest two daughters got stuck in. :laugh:

I see he has reduced his usual/regular menu, but he is still offering plenty of what I like, including Cornish pasties, one of which is waiting for me in our fridge.

Thanks to all those who have recommended Barry's place. :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes, but its miserable place to eat, AND I hate eating off Styrofoam with plastic k& f.
So I arrive at Victoria with my own plate and fork, order, tell them I am in dragon bar and they deliver the food there.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Alan Partridge :laugh:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

oakdale160 wrote:Yes, but its miserable place to eat, AND I hate eating off Styrofoam with plastic k& f.
So I arrive at Victoria with my own plate and fork, order, tell them I am in dragon bar and they deliver the food there.

I agree, fish and chips should be served wrapped in paper and eaten with your hands. :laugh:

Jokes aside......I grew up buying fish and chips from fish and chip shops, and it always came wrapped in paper with no knife and fork. Ordering from a restaurant is of course a different matter, but I don't really think Barry is trying to run a restaurant - it's a "take away" type place. Anyway, you've solved your problem by taking your own dinner set with you. :thumb:

:idea: It might be a good idea to do the same if you intend ordering a Binta Burger in town. :duck: :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Barry has been providing wholesome food for years in both his establishments, I've had many English breakfasts in his old place on Petchakasem, I think it was JW who called it 'comfort food'. I've not had F & C so much in recent years as his inability to get decent staff meant his opening hours/days were a bit erratic.

Anyway after Takiaps glowing report I spoke to Barry last night and warned him he may be busy as once again he got a thumbs up on the forum. So I asked him what fish does he use expecting him not to tell me or spin me one of his yarns about it being imported North Sea cod or similar. His reply ? 'Pangus' from Vietnam. Looks like your Rotty missed out on a meal the other night Takiap. :laugh:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, I'm not sure I believe him about the fish but I might be wrong of course. If it is what he uses, then he does something right because I've tried it loads of times and it's always crap. Either way, I will be going back many more times.

:cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

TK be quick. Think he's planning a trip to UK to take possession of his newly acquired vintage motor
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
t1ggyw1ggy10

Post by t1ggyw1ggy10 »

Hi fellow forum members .ive heard some good things about Barry's fish and chips on soi 80 . I fancy trying it out tomorrow and just want to know if it's called Victoria fish and chips and what time it opens from .

Cheers
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

t1ggyw1ggy10 wrote:Hi fellow forum members .ive heard some good things about Barry's fish and chips on soi 80 . I fancy trying it out tomorrow and just want to know if it's called Victoria fish and chips and what time it opens from .

Cheers
opens at 6pm
t1ggyw1ggy10

Post by t1ggyw1ggy10 »

Thanks
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Jokes aside......I grew up buying fish and chips from fish and chip shops, and it always came wrapped in paper with no knife and fork.
I remember in the seventies they used to have those small wooden forks but I haven't been in a proper chippy for years so I don't know if they still exist.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Takiap wrote:
oakdale160 wrote:Yes, but its miserable place to eat, AND I hate eating off Styrofoam with plastic k& f.
I agree, fish and chips should be served wrapped in paper and eaten with your hands. :laugh:

Jokes aside......I grew up buying fish and chips from fish and chip shops, and it always came wrapped in paper with no knife and fork. Ordering from a restaurant is of course a different matter, but I don't really think Barry is trying to run a restaurant - it's a "take away" type place. Anyway, you've solved your problem by taking your own dinner set with you. :thumb:

:idea: It might be a good idea to do the same if you intend ordering a Binta Burger in town. :duck: :laugh:

There is an establishment in HH where you are served your F/C's in newspaper should you wish to devour them in true traditional fashion. Name of the place escapes me but it's close to the pier and had a wide variety of items on the menu which are equally delicious. Not cheap though for my meagre budget but good for special occasions.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well three of us did similar tonight but before the plates came out from behind the bar we were already pigging from our styrofoam containers
Barrys.fish.chips.and.mushiea.jpg
Barrys.fish.chips.and.mushiea.jpg (53.06 KiB) Viewed 787 times
RICHARD OF LOXLEY