baked BEAN on toast.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

C,mon girls lets keep on subject,

This is about the world famous Baked Bean, or was supposed to be.

We always seem to degenerate to slagging people off for no good reason.

One post was about a Fish and Chip shop which could be considered a personal plug but who cares i will try it now i know it exists, is this not what this forum is about. (info)

As for spag bol i have to agree as i always let mine simmer in the oven for a couple of hours and our friends love how i make it, and not for resale dave.

Having just got back from UK there seems to be a lot of comment about plugging companys but has this not always gone on here .

So enough sniping and lets all enjoy the forum whether or not you are into scooters, pies, or my beloved Baked Beans.

Jamie is also right to say that Thai girls also fart as well as the rest of us but i wonder what the effect Beans would have on them, maybe one of the readers on this forum could try with their Thai girlfriend and let us know the results on a scale of say 1-10. :P

Mike.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

tuktukmike wrote: Having just got back from UK there seems to be a lot of comment about plugging companys but has this not always gone on here .

So enough sniping and lets all enjoy the forum whether or not you are into scooters, pies, or my beloved Baked Beans.
Mike.
There have been a few changes while you have been away, we're getting a little fed up of people trying to promote their own products without ever supporting us by means of an advertisement. For this reason we have introduced and are enforcing these Terms and Conditions as we see fit.

Yes, please lets get this (an otherwise pretty good thread) back on topic.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Hi Guess,

Cant agree with you about those Heinz vegeterian beans, i bought some in Bangkok and they were horrible.

They were dark brown in colour and tasted like crap, what i dont understand is that we can get lots of other Heinz products but not the real beans.

Ah well i am about to sit down and eat beans on toast with cheddar cheese grated on top, heaven.

Lev, i understand your comments but the (as we see fit) is maybe a bit inflammatory and just a little toning down would maybe ruffle fewer feathers, but of course its your site to do as you wish.

Mike.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

tuktukmike wrote:but of course its your site to do as you wish.
Precisely

:wink:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Jamie Dr Dave wrote:
WHY WHY Why what is the point you are in Thailand eat Thai food

This is the civilised view of an enlightened and liberal thinking Westerner. I used to have the same point of view until I realised that it doesn't work the other way round. Most Thais in the UK subsist almost entirely on Blah Lah at silly quid a jar, durian at 15 quid a kilo and Khao Niew at the same price per 5 kilo bag from the nearest Chinese supermarket, never once having earnestly sampled the delights of British fayre - sorry, fare!
Jamie
I prefer to eat Thai food, I have lived and stayed in so many different countries and always been ready to Sample what ever has been on offer including domestic pets, snake and other delicacies which we won’t go into (do you still think im civilized .enlightened and liberal thinking Westerner)
And I do occasionally eat our very bland stodgy western foods and very very occasionally eat the dog food served up at the likes of burger king and KFC
Im not into chickens feet though there’s just no meat on there!!
And who knows where the chickens been walking

Aitch .....just for you i have changed my signiture for the day ,,its pemenantly on there i dont type it in on evry post !
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Hi Dr Dave,

No offence taken I hope - my comment was not meant as a personal jibe. As for Thai food, I like it and will eat it, depending on my mood. However, the more time I have spent in Thailand, the less I have OD'd on Thai food. Although I really enjoy it when in the mood, it just doesn't pass the salivation test for me. I just don't have that slavering sense of anticipation at the thought of a bowl of khao tom or yesterdays cold curry or yum knor bamboo shoot salad, or for that matter at the thought of any Thai food for beakfast. Give me a plate of baked beans on well buttered toast, maybe with some eggs and bacon, any day. And for dinner - what could be better than a juicy steak?

If you think western food is uniformly bland then I reckon your palate has been stripped by eating too much Thai food and you should return to eating pies, cheese, fish 'n' chips, gravy and apple crumble and wash it all down with a nice cup of tea.

It is well known that the Thai population are unable to distinguish between subtle flavours. To the average Thai meat is just meat and fish is just fish which, if not steamed and smothered with nam prik, is deep fried into something resembling a crusty table tennis bat. No pan fried halibut in butter sauce or stuffed trout in wine sauce - if it's fish just blast it in the palm oil! Contrary to the Western notion that Thai cuisine is full of subtleties, my own experience is that it relies heavily on pungent flavours and lots of palate sterilising salt (in the form of Nam Bplah) and chillies. Chillies are tempered by bland old rice which fails miserably against its western rival the spud, which can be chipped, baked, roasted, boiled, mashed, croquetted, gnochied, fish caked, made into Monster Munch and even used for recreational purposes in the form of potato stamps. What is more the chilli is not even indigenous, having been brought to the east from the Americas by the Portuguese and Spaniards.

I rest my case, baked beans it is! :thumb:
aitch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aitch »

Dave ,
the word is signature not "signiture", but thanks for changing it just for me ,I'm begining to feel like one of the familly, what with special little favours an'all. But really it was a bit boring and repetetive.
Jaime ,
spot on there regarding the ubiquitous Thai chillis , they were indeed introduced by the Portugese , very good point!........... but hold on a minute , the humble potato is not really indigenous to Wales or any other part of the U.K. is it ? It too was introduced from over America way by an intrepid explorer together with tobacco , and maybe baked beans (but probably not ), just wanted to keep "with the thread".
Just a couple of points,
Aitch.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

OK, Ok, but it's a little known fact that the Americas were really discovered by a Welshman going by the name of Elfys Preseli! :P
aitch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aitch »

Elfis Preseli !! like it .
nearlly as good a name as the welsh boxer "sugar dai beates"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

The intrepid explorer who introduced potatoes and tobacco into "civilization" must have been exploring for hell of a long time. The potato is native to the Peruvian Andes and was brought to Europe in the 16th century by Spanish explorers in the time of Pizzaro. Pizzaro first set foot in about 1532. It would have taken at least three years for this explorer (if he travelled with Pizzaro, which is highly unlikely) to take the potato back to Europe. Tobacco was brought to Europe by sailors who crewed the three tiny ships that the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus used to reach the Carribean Islands in 1492. The crew along with their leader returned to Spain on March 15th 1493.

That is the good news. The bad news is that neither parties brought any Heinz Beanz or Wall's Steak & Kidney Pies with them. So in other words without the Spanish and the Italians the Brits would still be living on toast and watercress.

Serious opportunities are missed even by the most intrepid of explorers.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I decided to take lunch today at the Japanese Restaurant attached to the back of the Sofittel (and no I do not own the Sofitel, have any shares in it at all and I am not employed as marketing manager) and ordered a packet of woodbines and pie beanz and chips. To my amazement they could not accommodate. I decided to settle for plain old beanz on toast but again mai mee. Will someone please tell me where this restaurant is that is next door to a wooden house that sells Lao food. All this banter about beanz on toast is getting to me.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Jamie with a capital because you deserve it And absolutely no offence taken i give out if i could not take a response from something I gave out i would give up ,,, what i would give up would be a different story
You can rest your case
I am still typing with one hand & sometimes it is a bit difficult to keep up what i wish to type well actaully that has always been a problem coming from Manchester

but fish :thumb: i cannot eat i get all red and blotchy and the same with nam pla i have to be really careful and make sure to tell the cook not to put the S*** in there or it could end up nasty Chilies i can eat by the hand full
raw or cooked,
Beans sounds good but a bit too sweet for me although according to my mum the first words I spoke was believe it or not BEANS
i think i will still go for the family pet for breakfast
Khao man maaa aroy!!
its cheap you don’t need to go to the shopping mall and its easily Bar B q at home ,,,,I must try it with beans !
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Jaime wrote:
Contrary to the Western notion that Thai cuisine is full of subtleties, my own experience is that it relies heavily on pungent flavours and lots of palate sterilising salt (in the form of Nam Bplah) and chillies.

:thumb:
I agree that in many cases that Thai people add too much prik nam pla and plain nam pla to many dishes. However if you eat in a good seafood restaurant you can purchase a good variety of fish and shellfish. The sauces come separately so you can then taste the fish. Better to get it steamed if you want to taste it to the full.

The habit of heavy flavouring in Thailand is mostly from the poor regions wher fresh foods are not always available or affordable. Now that Thailand is moving on many bad Western eating habits are being adopted (especially in Bangkok) and some of the old bad Thai habits will not die.

Err "Palm oil" for cooking. I have never heard of that but maybe you are right. I avoid fried food as much as possible even though I enjoy khao pad gung when I have it.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

dr dave soul monsta wrote:Jamie with a capital

!
A quick spelling and usage of names lesson:

Jamie is the Scottish (pet name) equivalent of James
Jaime has two possibilities
1. The Spanish form of James pronounced Hi-mee. A male name
2. An English feminine form of James pronounced Jay-mee used sometimes in England and France but more common in Canada.

It is one of my daughter's names.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

tuktukmike wrote:Heinz baked beans in the shopping mall?????

Someone tell me where, i have never seen them there only S&W or that other shitty brand that are like bullets.

Mike.
In the about the fifth aisle along with the other two brands (Ayam are the best alternative). I just bought a can only ten minutes ago. Aroy maak maak crap. Healthy and quick if on toast without the butter and the woodbine. 55 Baht per can though. I suppose you Brits could buy a four pack for that in Tescos.