my recommendations

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
dan
Amateur
Amateur

my recommendations

Post by dan »

So I've been visiting Hua Hin almost every year since 1986. Never have actually lived there for more than a month as my work won't really allow it. A couple yrs back i fell off my bicycle and couldn't play golf anymore or bicycle so i went out an bought a condo between Cha Am and Hua Hin. Now I spend about 4 months a year there and still love the place.

Being a creature of habit I've my favorite eateries in Hua Hin and don't stray from them very often. That's not to say there aren't 50 other good or great restuarants.....anyway, below are my haunts and they are not necessarily listed in the order of what's best.... just a few thoughts i sent to a friend last month who was visiting Hua Hin for the first time.

Orchard Restaurant at Fulay Hotel near the Hilton...excellent
nouveou(spelling?) thai cuisine with euro food as well. i recommend the
spicy beef salad!! very nice people and the place i always stayed b4 moving out to the burbs

the Indian restaurant on the opposite side of the street and just north is
also excellent

La Vistole just opposite the Hilton is owned by Enrico, a golf buddy of
mine. Good authentic italian food and atmosphere

Sailom Hotel at the southern end of Hua Hin is an old Hotel with a great
beachside restuarant. I first stayed there with Thai friends in
1986......the restaurant very popular with Thai people so you know it must
be good...not many tourists know it exists

at the Hua Hin Shopping Mall is the main supermarket for the area....u can
find almost everything there

not far from the above but on a small sidestreet is the Euro Bakery with
great pastries and breads.....they also have some good cheeses

the Munich wine shop is also owned by a golfing friend ....has some fairly
good italian wines....the wine shop near the grand hotel is well stocked and fairly priced

you have to walk thru the Night Market in the evening....lots to see and
at the end of the first street on you left is a lady selling BBQ
chickens....grab a seat behind her and order one chicken and then from the girl with the food cart on your left order some som tom( green papaya
salad) and sticky rice. Just a great meal

Monta's Garden just down the street toward the sea from the night market
and has excellent thai and euro food.....the best mashed potatoes with
mushroom gravy i've ever et...honest......

Itsurra Restaurant is quite a famous place on the beach at the north end
of the city....great setting in an old house on the beach and good food
too.

By the way, I've owned a nickle dime. diner deli, gin joint, greasy spoon restaurant on an island south of japan for the past 14 yrs so i think i know a little bit about good food.

Good luck and have fun.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes,
We're certainly spoilt for choice here.
Dara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dara »

A good addition to your list is Tops Khao Tom (Rice Soup) - their signature dishes (gai khuoa - crispy chicken, & Tam Leung Nam Lieb - a veggi dish) are outstanding....
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Couple of my favourites:
For Khao Kha Moo (ham boiled in soy sauce) Opposite from the railway station, there are some small eateries. The one in the middle serves good khao kha moo (although the best one I know is in Bangkok, on Sukhumvit Soi 22, just after the entrance to Washington Square.
Korean BBQ or Moo katha - on the road going to Pala U, opposite the school (go there at 18.00 that's when they put new meal on the tables) all you can eat for 79 baht.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I have seen elephants playing football, belugas playing basketball and macaws riding bicycles.

I have never seen anybody playing golf on a bicycle though.

As for eating my favourite is Kin Lek which is about 2KM out of town on Petchakasem on the left roughly opposite Soi 96. Sells very good southern food.

Another two both with great views. La Mer on the left before you go up Kao Takiab and the Viewpoint on the left as you climb the hill towards Pala U about 3KM out of town.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]