Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Post by Big Boy »

When we go for an English breakfast these days, our place of choice is Oasis in Khao Takiab.

I've noticed a place advertising what seems like a decent English opposite the new pump station on Soi 102, but we've never tried it. Oasis couldn't be beaten, so why try to fix it if it isn't broken? Many, many places offering a good English breakfast in the area.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote:I've noticed a place advertising what seems like a decent English opposite the new pump station on Soi 102 ...
Sounds like Bobby's Bar - always did a good breakfast
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

barrys wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I've noticed a place advertising what seems like a decent English opposite the new pump station on Soi 102 ...
Sounds like Bobby's Bar - always did a good breakfast
Or Squealing Pig, both offer breakfast. Bobby's offers by the item whereas SP is a set breakfast. Both ok but only Bobby's offers black pudding, a bonus for me.

Be interested in finding out where Lins moved to, I thought their's was one of the best.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Big Boy wrote:When we go for an English breakfast these days, our place of choice is Oasis in Khao Takiab.
My dad also says that Oasis does a great breakfast. Must try it out some day.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

How the other half of the question, American breakfast? :)

Also, can a cup of coffee be had that in not made from Espresso roasted beans?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:
Big Boy wrote:When we go for an English breakfast these days, our place of choice is Oasis in Khao Takiab.
My dad also says that Oasis does a great breakfast. Must try it out some day.
Somewhere to collapse on May 15th?

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

RCer wrote:How the other half of the question, American breakfast? :)
Approximations are available.
Eggs - yes.
Eggs done to specific instructions, e.g., moist scrambled eggs - no.
Toast - yes if you like fine grain, thin white bread.
Sausage - nothing even close to Jimmy Dean sausages. Other offerings include wonderful tasting, artery clogging things the Brits like and hot dogs.
Bacon - If it looks like bacon in the US it's usually cooked until brittle, or under cooked as a trichinosis delivery system, or the portion size will make you wonder what happened to the other 3/4ths of the rasher.
Ham - no. It's lunch meat.
Orange juice - yes, but from different varieties of oranges and tangerines, so that's probably a no.
Hash Browns - yes if you like deep fried or microwaved. Either way, usually under-cooked
Jam / Jelly - no, unless you like them with minimal amounts of all the expensive, good tasting ingredients (AKA Fruit) and maximum amounts of filler.
Pancakes / Waffles - I know nothing.
French Toast - I know next to nothing.

If you're an American, have you ever known any New Yorkers? If not, for new yorkers who have left NYC, their defining characteristic is they WILL NOT SHUT UP about how everything to eat or drink where they are now living is, at best, a distant second to average NYC quality. One can take that position, or one can accept breakfast here for what it is.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

dalmatiandave wrote:Be interested in finding out where Lins moved to, I thought their's was one of the best.
:agree:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Homer wrote:Sausage - nothing even close to Jimmy Dean sausages. Other offerings include wonderful tasting, artery clogging things the Brits like and hot dogs.
Bacon - If it looks like bacon in the US it's usually cooked until brittle, or under cooked as a trichinosis delivery system, or the portion size will make you wonder what happened to the other 3/4ths of the rasher.
Ham - no. It's lunch meat.
This post is an eye opener for me.

Sausages Yes, there are some good UK style sausages, but I've always thought the plastic sausages you find in a lot of places were American influenced. Certainly, whenever I've opted for American Breakfast, when English isn't available, I've always been served plastic sausages. Same with American Fried Rice. Obviously an incorrect association.

Bacon Again many places serve a decent UK style back bacon. I've always associated the burnt streaky bacon with the States. Whenever I visited the states, the advice was always opt for ham, because bacon will be slices of cremated streaky bacon.

Ham Ham here is exactly what I've been served in the states.

Not wishing to upset our American cousins, but I don't remember getting a GOOD American breakfast, even in America. However, this is obviously a cultural taste thing. However, its a few weeks since I was over there, so maybe its my memory, or something has changed.

I'll never forget ordering sausage and pancakes - I was horrified when the syrup had been poured over my slices of sausage. :D

Points 41; Position 18
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

Totally agree with you BB. In all the times I've toured Diners in the US I've always been amazed at the amount of different things on offer BUT none of it compares to a good English fry up down the cafe in any good Northern town.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Personally, I find nothing wrong with a UK breakfast. In fact the sausages and bacon (looks more like ham in the US) are better than the US versions.

The American items I'm interested in are things like an omelette with ingreadients, not just a couple scrabled eggs, hash-browns (not deep fried), home fried potatoes (not deep fried), and last but not least bisquits and gravy.

As for not liking food at my current location, wherever that might be, I enjoy it all. But, rice soup is not remotely breakfast.

The post about folks from NYC is spot on.
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

Biscuits and gravy??? Wouldn't the gravy melt the chocolate on my hobnob with my morning cuppa
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Whats a hobnob? If the image link works, this is buscuits and sausage gravy. Guaranteed to clog all arteries.
http://www.chowhound.com/blog-media/201 ... -Gravy.jpg
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

Goodness me don't they have chocolate Hobnobs in the US, they go lovely with English Breakfast tea, after a good fry up with black pudding that DOESNOT have plastic skin on it and preferably from Bury even tho I'm a Yorkshire lad
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

hobnobs.jpg
Hobnob biscuits are a traditional British type of oat biscuit.

HobNobs is the brand name of a commercial biscuit inspired by the traditional hobnob biscuit recipe. They are made from rolled oats and jumbo oats, similar to a flapjack/digestive biscuit hybrid. Among the most popular British biscuits, McVitie's launched Hobnobs in 1985 and a milk chocolate variant in 1987.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobnob_biscuit

Some dunk, some don't. I'm a dunker.

eatuae was obviously making a little pun on 'biscuits'. I have to say that biscuits and gravy sounds like some form of medieval torture to me...
This is the way