Whiskeys

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Re: Whiskeys

Post by Jimbob »

I thought Whisky came from Caledonia (Scotland) and Whiskey came from everywhere else. But lo, there is 'Makers' Mark' is calling itself a Whisky! Sacrilegious!
Even my bottle of Jim Beam Small Batch is noted as Whiskey. (it does have "PORT ADDED" Is that a sin?)

In my forays into China the locals pushed their Mao Tai or Bijui as 'whisky. Foul stuff as 55%.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote:
migrant wrote:Ahhh scotch....

My favorite single malt lately is Talisker, great smoky taste.
Drank with no ice, and a (small) splash of water to bring out the taste!!
That's my sipping scotch

When in a mood for a few any johnny walker and water will suit me fine. :cheers:
Forgot Talisker - yes, a great whisky...... but WATER - don't you know fish fornicate in the stuff?
I know, I know, but with the JW it's an easy mix.

For the Talisker I went to a tasting once with a representative of the distillery (may not have been Talisker, but it was a great single malt, just can't remember which :oops: ) and they said a small splash of water brings out the flavors better.

Of course they were probably not talking Thailand tap water!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

sc.jpeg
sc.jpeg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
Tasmania's latest export: the best whisky in the world

"A distillery on the Australian island has the distinction of producing the world's best single malt. Not bad for a fledgling industry that was banned until 22 years ago...."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ?CMP=fb_gu
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

A Great Single Malt is best when "warmed in the hands to release the flavors" and sipped. Of course with every bottle purchased, you receive a "license" to drink it as you like. I prefer the "highlands" as they are more fruity. My wife prefers the "Lowlands" as they are smokey /peaty. If not sure what to buy, you can't go wrong with one of the "Classics." This month's favorite fro me is "Balvenie Triple Cast."
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

SunandFun wrote:A Great Single Malt is best when "warmed in the hands to release the flavors"
Good advice when sitting in a chilly British study in a leather armchair before an open fire, with the wind rattling the leaded window panes! Not so sure it's necessary in 30+ degrees Celcius... :laugh:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

... also, according to the whisky aficionado sites I've read, that is exactly backwards if not totally wrong. Most Ive read say a single malt should be drunk with a splash of room temperature to cold water (depending on preference) to release the flavors and others even suggest a single ice cube.

The only liquor I've read that should be warmed before drinking is Cognac.

I like pretty much all single malts I've tried as well as Crown Royal Canadian whisky some blended Irish whiskey (Bushmills) and Scotch whiskys (Johnny Walker Blue Label and Chivas Regal). Oddly enough, my least favorite is corn whiskey that comes primarily from Kentucky and my home state of Tennessee. Although I like them all, my favorite single malt scotches come from Islay where the peatiest ones are made. Unfortunately, those are rare here (Villa Market has a couple, but not my favorite; Lophroaig.
Last edited by hhfarang on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I drink Whisky but have no knowledge of the ingredientes, processes oe else. I only know this - if your local hotel is stocking up on Rebel Yell, then the Stones is coming next. It's Keith's faourite Whisky,
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Rebel Yell is a Kentucky Bourbon which is a corn whiskey. I drank a lot of it in my youth before I discovered non corn whiskies.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....my favorite single malt scotches come from Islay where the peatiest ones are made. Unfortunately, those are rare here...
Caul Ila is very good if you can get it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caol-Ila-Year-O ... B001HU7THE
( I've just discovered that a link to Amazon subverts my companies blocking of alcohol related websites! )
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

prcscct wrote:
sc.jpeg
Tasmania's latest export: the best whisky in the world

"A distillery on the Australian island has the distinction of producing the world's best single malt. Not bad for a fledgling industry that was banned until 22 years ago...."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ?CMP=fb_gu
My brother has just returned from Tassie and told me he had a bottle of Lark's for me.Yippee!..... Turned out to be a bottle of their Godfather Gin as there are only three bottles of the prized whiskey left.
Complexity is so simply overrated
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Edradour distillery is the smallest one in Scotland and one of the very few that is independtly owned. It is located just outside Pitlochry and well worth a visit. Despite it's small size,only 4 full time workers it is a very professional set up and guided tours are done every 30 minutes , finished off with a "wee dram". Well stocked shop and tea room on site as well. The whisky itself is excellent and highly recommended. Tasting notes are on the web.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was given a one litre bottle of JW Blue label whiskey when I retired. It has a complex flavour but not necessarily the best whisky I have ever drunk and at about £150 a bottle, not something I would have bought myself. One of the best I have tasted was an Arberlour 16 year old single malt.
PeteC

Re: Mekong Whiskey

Post by PeteC »

A Thai friend's Mother found a half dozen cases of bottled Mekong whiskey with a bottle date of around 1985. :shock: The Mom and several other Thais say it's still fine to drink. I can't count the number of times over the years when I've been told by Thai bar managers/owners that the stuff turns almost to poison after about a year in the bottle. That's why the bottle date is so clearly displayed on the back of the label and can be seen by looking through the back of the bottle.

Usual Suspect or other bar aficionados out there.....who is correct and is this stuff still safe to drink? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'd try it on the Mother first!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote:I'd try it on the Mother first!
Not a bad idea. :D Another source has just told me this afternoon that the 1 year rule is if the bottle has been opened, which is why I've been told some bars date the bottle with a marker pen when they open it. Closed and sealed may therefore be good forever? :? I'm still not even going to touch it with a barge pole. Pete :cheers: