The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
aragon
Professional
Professional

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by aragon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm

prcscct wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:14 pm
It's been so long though since I've had a Fosters of any origin
Give thanks for that..... :naughty: :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the 'Y' becomes silent.

aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:38 pm
Fullers ESB or Youngs London Ale are still primo for me
You must be a Londoner (like myself), ESB is a fine tipple, but try as hard as I might and trust me I tried many times, I could never acquire a taste for any Youngs offerings (especially that phish lager they turn out), but then that's what makes life interesting, we're all different :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm

aragon wrote:
404cameljockey wrote:
You must be a Londoner (like myself), ESB is a fine tipple, but try as hard as I might and trust me I tried many times, I could never acquire a taste for any Youngs offerings (especially that phish lager they turn out), but then that's what makes life interesting, we're all different :cheers:
As you say we're all different, but two of my favorite ales are Fullers London Pride and Youngs Special - different taste but both suit my palate. Although I don't mind ESB, it's a bit too heavy for my liking and always gives me a headache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Dannie Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm
aragon wrote:
404cameljockey wrote:
As you say we're all different, but two of my favorite ales are Fullers London Pride and Youngs Special - different taste but both suit my palate. Although I don't mind ESB, it's a bit too heavy for my liking and always gives me a headache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aragon yes I'm a London/North Kent lad and my ultimate beers are Shepherd Neame's ales. Their bottles strong ale named Bishop's Finger (AKA "Nun's Delight"...) is great half and half with Spitfire bitter.
I'm a Youngs shareholder (because their AGM used to be a MAMMOTH free PU every year, and I also drank their ales daily (lunchtime drinking in the London shipping industry was standard practise back then). Their Winter Warmer (5.5%) is heavenly draft beer. Used to have it half and half with their Silver Sovereign bottled beer in 1977 (special Queen's Jubilee beer that year, also very strong). Five of those in an hour at lunchtime and back to *work*.

Danny Boy I agree, I never drank ESB as a distance beer when pubbing back home because 5.5 pct alcohol, but a bottle (or two) here just takes the edge off when watching sport or films on the sofa. :) And check how many beers here are 5 pct or more, Chang's 5.2!

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:16 pm
J.J.B. wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

I found this useful "beer map" to show different beer styles and where they fit on the bitter/sweet and fruity/malty scale. I'm still not sure where Lao sits! :D

IMG_0057.JPG
Pre-Prohibition American Lager??? Is that a thing?
On the craft/home brew scene it is. Much of the time, home brewers are trying to copy other recipes by getting the right yeast (there are over 500 types for beer!), the right grains and hops - not to mention the water chemistry - but it's virtually impossible. Hop and grain harvests differ each year and even water is at the whim of the local water company. But for the die-hards they will try to create something as faithfully as they can and pre-prohibition American Lager seems to be something they like to try.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 pm

:thanks:

aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:17 am

404cameljockey wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm
Aragon yes I'm a London/North Kent lad and my ultimate beers are Shepherd Neame's ales. Their bottles strong ale named Bishop's Finger (AKA "Nun's Delight"...) is great half and half with Spitfire bitter.
I'm a Youngs shareholder (because their AGM used to be a MAMMOTH free PU every year, and I also drank their ales daily (lunchtime drinking in the London shipping industry was standard practise back then). Their Winter Warmer (5.5%) is heavenly draft beer. Used to have it half and half with their Silver Sovereign bottled beer in 1977 (special Queen's Jubilee beer that year, also very strong). Five of those in an hour at lunchtime and back to *work*.

Danny Boy I agree, I never drank ESB as a distance beer when pubbing back home because 5.5 pct alcohol, but a bottle (or two) here just takes the edge off when watching sport or films on the sofa. :) And check how many beers here are 5 pct or more, Chang's 5.2!

I know what you mean about lunchtime drinking, I'm a procurement manager in the EPC construction business and spent many a lunchtime back in the 70s with various vendors and freight forwarders down the local, as a result there wasn't much *work* done in the afternoon, if we even made it back to the office :naughty: Not much chance of that these days though, particularly as I'm working in Saudi, but living in Bahrain and commuting daily across the causeway, so at least the weekends are decent :cheers:

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Enjoying the occasional one of these (from Tesco Lotus and other outlets). Very tasty and at 4.7% not too strong. A litre can is enough for an afternoon taster. And price is good compared to other imported beers.

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 pm

How much? Wishbeer has four types of Kaiserdome 1 liter (but not the dark) listed at 195 Baht. https://www.wishbeer.com/en/420-germany ... -kaiserdom

I would imagine retail shop around 250? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 pm

prcscct wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 pm
How much? Wishbeer has four types of Kaiserdome 1 liter (but not the dark) listed at 195 Baht. https://www.wishbeer.com/en/420-germany ... -kaiserdom

I would imagine retail shop around 250? Pete :cheers:
If Tesco Lotus receipt wasn't in Thai I could tell you for sure, but it must be one of the two items at 183 and 189 Baht as there's nothing more expensive on there. Considering a 500 ml bottle of Courage is 159 it's not at all expensive. Their wheat beer and one other light Kaiser beer were also available. I think I've seen them in Makro too.:)

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm

aragon wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
I just remembered the Shepherd Neame lager in the 70s and 80s was Hurlimann, and it was darn stong. I was never a lager drinker in those days but I saw a fair bit of 'Hurl'ing done in the street after a lot of it was downed by others. :) I think they've turned don the alcohol content since then.

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 am

404cameljockey wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm
aragon wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
I just remembered the Shepherd Neame lager in the 70s and 80s was Hurlimann, and it was darn stong. I was never a lager drinker in those days but I saw a fair bit of 'Hurl'ing done in the street after a lot of it was downed by others. :) I think they've turned don the alcohol content since then.
It was affectionaly referred to by some as Holigans!! :cheers:

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am

these memories of things long ago are very interesting( yawn) but have little to do with having a beer in HH tonight.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

oakdale160 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am
these memories of things long ago are very interesting( yawn) but have little to do with having a beer in HH tonight.
The thread is about, "The discussion about beer, mainly lagers, has just started in another topic so I thought to give the amber liquid it's own. Tell us what kind of beers you like." However, I don't suppose anybody will complain if you want to share what you will be drinking in HH tonight. I'd have suggested a new thread, but with the current variety, the thread would probably be a dud. :twisted:
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:47 am

I just don't understand why anyone would think that which beer a poster used to enjoy when they were back in the UK is of any interest if that beer is not available in HH TONIGHT.