The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Pagey
Ace
Ace

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Pagey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:38 am

Midsman wrote:I used to work at Mansfield Brewery many moons ago.

Mansfield Bitter took some beating.
A pint of hand pulled Riding please !

It won many awards back in the day.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

Name Taken
Ace
Ace

Post by Name Taken » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:47 am

prcscct wrote:Putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind........

14573031_661617260681973_7950286977689316321_n.jpg
:lach:

Classy. 8)

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm

It was a quick spalsh'n'dash to Johnsons in Worthing so the microbrewery visit will be next time, Chazz. They didn't have all the bits of equipment in stock so I think I'll be going back again very soon. I have the primary fermenter bucket and pressurised barrel so only need a mash tun and boiler, plus some other bits. I did buy a book similar to the one you describe, Dannie Boy, and will keep folk updated on progress...
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde

dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:38 am

I have just been for a Thai meal in Aberdeen and had 2 bottles of Singha - they tasted totally different from the stuff I've had in Thailand. Is there a different export quality? Fortunately I'm back to HuaHin tomorrow for further research.

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:39 am

I have tried Thai resaurants in the west and the ones I visited were dreadful, does A'deen have a good one??

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:20 am

There is something worrying happening. There are now over 1600 craft brewers in the UK and something like 4000in the US(that includes brewpubs) These all have their origins in the demand for better beer than the monster International breweries offer. Nowthe monsters have started to take over some of the more successful ones, Camden in London for one.
They say that they will leave the creative brewing process alone and will provide better distribution. REALLY???

dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:23 pm

oakdale160 wrote:I have tried Thai resaurants in the west and the ones I visited were dreadful, does A'deen have a good one??
There are 2 or 3 that do an upmarket HuaHin take on Thai but there is an indoor market where you can get the real thing.

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:03 am

For 500 years, Bavaria's beer purity law, known as the Reinheitsgebot, has restricted beer recipes to only the essential ingredients: barley, hops and water............

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016102 ... in-germany
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:27 am

Anthony Bourdain: craft beer is turning people into zombies........

Love him or hate him, he doesn't pull his punches and that alone, is quite refreshing in these days of putrefying PC BS :thumb: :thumb:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dri ... o-zombies/
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the 'Y' becomes silent.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 pm

After nearly 2 years of sampling hundreds of American craft beers I've come to the conclusion that they are of 2 major varieties, the bitter English style (most of the IPAs and others) and the tad bit sweeter German style. While I enjoy a bitter beer occasionally I much prefer the German style (especially dark lagers or dunkels) for daily consumption. Even when I want a lighter beer that is a bit bitter I prefer a Pilsner over the extra bitter UK type of (light, medium) ales.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:23 am

Its interesting that in the US the most successful craft brewers have become so popular that thy are almost main-stream. Sam Adams' from Boston, who make fine beers are a good example.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:07 am

^ As well as Sierra Nevada Brewing Company which originated in California and now has several breweries scattered around the country.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

buksida

Post by buksida » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:21 pm

youngs.jpg
Ratsima wrote:For WishBeer you go to their website, place an order and a day or two later the beer is delivered by truck.
You must be the lucky one, ordered some Young's London Ale for new year six days ago - still hasn't arrived. :cuss:

Think I'll be looking for another supplier, Wishbeer are not cheap once you've added shipping fees and taxes to your orders, and waiting for their deliveries you'll die of thirst.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 pm

After and exhaustive 2 year search, I've finally found what I think to be the best craft IPA in the U.S. and it turned out to be at a brewery only a few miles from my home...

They also make on of my favorite dark beers:

Bluesgoose
Novice
Novice

Post by Bluesgoose » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 pm

hhfarang wrote:After nearly 2 years of sampling hundreds of American craft beers I've come to the conclusion that they are of 2 major varieties, the bitter English style (most of the IPAs and others) and the tad bit sweeter German style. While I enjoy a bitter beer occasionally I much prefer the German style (especially dark lagers or dunkels) for daily consumption. Even when I want a lighter beer that is a bit bitter I prefer a Pilsner over the extra bitter UK type of (light, medium) ales.
There's some truth to it. There's only so much Variation that you can taste and remember - many IPAs are made with many different ingredients yet come up with a very indistinguishable taste...

As for sweet German beer: Eastern European Breweries that resale on the German market offer two types of "German beer": bitter Pilsener and sweet Pilsener. And with that, they cover a lot of range...