Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Nereus »

I have never seen these in Thailand, in fact, have completely forgotten about them. Not sure exactly what "spiced rum" is, but the rest of it should be readily available:
..................................................................................................

You can’t go wrong with these classic favourites this Christmas.

Ingredients:
250g plain biscuits
3tbsp cocoa (plus extra for dusting)
1 cup desiccated coconut (plus extra for dusting)
2.5tbsp spiced rum
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
Optional: zest of half an orange

Method: Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until finely crushed. Add mixture to a large bowl, along with the cocoa, coconut and orange zest (optional). Combine all the ingredients.
Add the rum and condensed milk, and combine all the ingredients. Use your hands to make small balls and cover in coconut or cocoa.
Refrigerate for at least one hour.

https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/recipe ... b88697223z
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Spiced rum is pretty much what it says on the tin (or bottle...). Until recently the only variety I could find was "Jerry Sailor", but I noticed recently Captain Morgan's Gold Spiced has finally made it's way into stores.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Nereus wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 am Not sure exactly what "spiced rum" is,
image.png
image.png (42.47 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
You surprise me Nereus, Having spent some time in Queensland I thought you may have come across this. Although I must admit I have only seen it on the shelves of bottle shops in the few years! Recipe looks good! :D
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You surprise me Nereus, Having spent some time in Queensland I thought you may have come across this. Although I must admit I have only seen it on the shelves of bottle shops in the few years!

Oh, you mean that stuff made for girls? Real men do not drink it spiced with anything. Especially Vanilla! :shock:

https://www.bundabergrum.com.au/all-bottles?p=1
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

This Christmas I finally got round to trying sauteed sprouts with bacon. (I know - but I'm a bit of a sprout purist.) Anyway as a first timer I used a packet mix by Schwartz. The instructions said about 450 gm of sprouts plus the bacon bits, and then 50 ml of water with the packet mix. That clearly wasn't enough water and I added more - enough so the sprouts could simmer a while after browning.
Have to say the result was disappointing. The flavour was fine but the texture of the sprouts was all wrong to me, even though I do like them quite crispy. The leftovers will probably end up in bubble and squeak.

By the way - Bluesky - you could spice up rum yourself (without the vanilla!)
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I happened to catch a portion of Jamie Olivers Christmas show where he was cooking outside. He did a sprout recipe inclusive of shredding the sprouts, cooking chopped bacon, olive oil, fresh rosemary, worcestershire, a little water, put the whole lot together in the fry pan and stir-fried. Looked good, at least better than just eating whole boiled sprouts on a plate. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What type of sprouts is everyone referring too?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Brussels
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

PeteC wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 am I happened to catch a portion of Jamie Olivers Christmas show where he was cooking outside. He did a sprout recipe inclusive of shredding the sprouts, cooking chopped bacon, olive oil, fresh rosemary, worcestershire, a little water, put the whole lot together in the fry pan and stir-fried. Looked good, at least better than just eating whole boiled sprouts on a plate. Pete :cheers:

You're correct Pete. Boiled sprouts must sure be the worst tasting vegetable on the planet. Then again, I don't think any chef could make sprouts taste good. :laugh: Cucumbers and sprouts :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

PeteC wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 am I happened to catch a portion of Jamie Olivers Christmas show where he was cooking outside. He did a sprout recipe inclusive of shredding the sprouts, cooking chopped bacon, olive oil, fresh rosemary, worcestershire, a little water, put the whole lot together in the fry pan and stir-fried. Looked good, at least better than just eating whole boiled sprouts on a plate. Pete :cheers:
Yeah I think you need the oil really - and a bit of garlic! But not sure if I will ever move on from those little green balls of methane whole and boiled!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Cookin Corner

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:

You're correct Pete. Boiled sprouts must sure be the worst tasting vegetable on the planet. Then again, I don't think any chef could make sprouts taste good. Image Cucumbers and sprouts :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
I’m in the UK at the moment and we went to an Indian restaurant for a family meal and they served complimentary Brussels Sprout Bahji which was certainly a bit different than any way I had eaten them before but they were ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Think I may have asked this before, but couldn't find the post - apologies therefore if I have.

I remember a Thai dish from many moons ago which (put simplistically) was was a spicy (dry) pork mince which you spooned into a lettuce leaf (or similar) before eating in one pop (literally). Can anyone hazard a guess at the name of the dish - or even provide a recipe??

Ta in advance.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Larb moo, I think. There are plenty of recipes on the net.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:34 pm Larb moo, I think. There are plenty of recipes on the net.
That's the one I'm sure - many thanks :thumb:

Through that I found this site which looks worth investigating!!

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-larb-recipe/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Used to make this all the time. Very delicious. Just substitute pork. I also would add chopped water chestnuts or smashed, raw ramen for texture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk