Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Siani »

I note Sandman67 said local recipes. I am guilty among others of not posting local recipes. Is it better to start another cooking thread as well?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Boerewors Recipe

Ingredients:

2 kg well matured beef
1 kg fatty pork (neck, shoulder, belly)
45 ml whole coriander seeds
5 ml whole cloves
30 ml salt
15 ml fresh ground black pepper
2 ml grated nutmeg
10 ml ground allspice
10 ml brown sugar
125 ml dry red wine or 125 ml dark vinegar
90 g thick sausage casings , soaked in water

Directions:

1. Skip the first few steps if you are using ground beef and pork.
2. Prepare beef and pork by trimming off all sinew, and other nasty bits and pieces that may affect the texture.
3. To facilitate mincing, cut meat into long, narrow strips about 3 inch in diameter and freeze for about 30 minutes.
4. Mince meat through a course mincer for a rough texture, or finely if you prefer.
5. Allow the meat to be fed through with very little assistance from the tamper.
6. Finish off by mincing a piece of bread to remove every vestige of meat from the mincer.
7. Roast coriander and cloves in a dry frying pan, tossing the spices about until uniformly brown and aromatic.
8. Don’t allow to burn.
9. Grind spices with a pestle and mortar, sift to remove husks, mix with remaining spices and sugar and sprinkle over the mince.
10. Lightly mix in wine or vinegar.
11. Drain the casings and place over one end of the filling horn (I use the kitchen aid attachment and carefully push all of the casings on leaving a 3 inch length hanging down).
12. Tie a knot in this.
13. Grabbing hold of a second pair of hands at this point makes wors-making less traumatic.
14. You can then feed the mixture in while your assistant hold the casings, guiding the filling inches.
15. Feed the mixture into the mincer a little at a time, while securing the casing with a gentle pressure of one hand on the horn to control the unrolling of the casing as its filled.
16. Mold the sausage with your hand to make it uniformly thick.
17. Don’t pack the casings too full, or the wors will burst while cooking, but try to avoid air bubbles.
18. After the casing has been filled, remove it – still attached to the horn – from the machine.
19. Push any remaining filling into the casing and tie a knot in the end.
20. BBQ quickly over hot coals.
21. The skin should be crisp and the middle just pink.

Enjoy

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

An easy 3 minute twist on Toad in the Hole:

Egg in a Bagel Hole

Makes 2

1 bagel
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Cut the bagel in half. If the hole isn't very big—ie, you can't imagine a yolk fitting in it—tear out some of the bagel around it. You could also use a biscuit cutter or cup to cut out a perfectly round center.

2. In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Place the bagel, inside down, on the skillet.

3. Crack one egg into a little bowl (or a container with a spout) and gently transfer the egg to the middle of the bagel. It might run out a bit; that's okay. Season the egg with salt and pepper.

4. Cover the skillet and let the toad cook for about 3 minutes, or until the egg is done to your liking. Using a spatula, transfer it to a plate and repeat with the other bagel half.

"Melt cheese on top, add on bacon or greens, slather it in hot sauce and ketchup. The Bagel Egg in a Hole could be your end game—or your canvas."

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-bagel-eg ... 39299.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a good recipe courtesy of the Pattaya Mail newspaper. All the ingredients easily available* and all you need is a slow cooker. * I've had problems finding pork shoulder here but haven't looked everywhere. Explanation given to wife is that Thai shops buy it all each morning to make Kao Ka Moo and as we know, that is served everywhere in the evenings. To me, the below recipe doesn't turn out right using some other cut of pork. Pete :cheers:

I believe this is originally an American way of presenting pork, and it certainly is a very flavorsome way. Warning – it takes several hours to cook, so you need a slow cooker and patience, even though the actual preparation does not take long!
Cooking method

Trim pork of any excess fat. Scatter onion over bottom of slow cooker and place pork on top. Add broth, cover and cook on low until very tender, about 8 hours. Remove meat and let cool.

When cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds using two forks, removing all fat and gristle. Skim excess fat from liquid in slow cooker.

Return pulled pork to slow cooker and stir in barbecue sauce, mustard, honey and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour longer on low. Serve with Panini bread with sides of pinto beans, corn, tomatoes and coleslaw.

Ingredients

Boneless pork shoulder, skin and excess fat removed 1.4 kg
Onion, chopped 1
Chicken broth ½ cup
BBQ sauce 2 cups
Mustard 2tbspns
Honey 2 tbspns
Soy sauce 1 tbspn
Salt and pepper

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/cookbook/pul ... TVoYv.dpuf
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Thanks for that, pulled pork is very popular at the moment. I like it with Apple sauce . Last weekend I slow roasted pork cooked in Apple and elderflower press, it was fabulous. The only downside was cleaning the blacked cooking pan lol! I used a boned loin, which is very tender to start with.
Years ago when I lived in Australia there was a takeaway cafe who used to do a hot pork sandwich with Apple sauce. It was very similar to the pulled pork you mention. They used to serve the sandwich roll with gravy! The pork was soft and shredded. Yum!
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
Here is something easy to cook for St George's day!

English onion soup with mini Yorkshire puddings for St George's Day

The addition of English Cider gives a delicious twist to a French classic. Serve with Yorkshire puddings for the ultimate English comfort meal.

Ingredients (makes 4 servings)

For the soup

½ tablespoon sunflower oil

500g onions, peeled and thinly sliced

3 fat garlic cloves, minced

2 sprigs fresh thyme

1 teaspoon black pepper

Knob of butter

500ml beef stock

500ml English cider

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

For the mini Yorkshire puddings

Sunflower oil

55g flour

2 medium eggs, beaten together

Large pinch of salt

140ml milk

Handful of finely grated English cheddar

You will need

12-hole mini muffin tin

Method

To make the soup

Melt the oil in a medium saucepan and add the onions, garlic, thyme sprigs and black pepper. Turn the heat down to low and cook the onion mixture for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is a deep golden brown colour.

Add the butter and stir until melted. Pour in the stock and cider, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add the Worcestershire sauce, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

To make the mini Yorkshire puddings

Put the flour, eggs and salt into a large jug and whisk together until smooth and lump free. Slowly add the milk and whisk until combined and you have a thin batter. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.

When the oven has come up to temperature, drizzle about a teaspoon of oil into each hole of the muffin tin and put on a tray in the oven for 5 minutes.

Remove the muffin tin from the oven and quickly pour the batter into the holes, filling 2/3 of the way up.

Immediately place the tin back in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the puddings have risen and are golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the grated cheddar.

Remove the thyme sprigs and ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Serve the mini Yorkshire puddings on the side for dunking.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

prcscct wrote: I've had problems finding pork shoulder here but haven't looked everywhere.

Pete, have you looked at Makro? The Hua-Hin branch always has it, usually about 115 baht per kilo.

By the way, where did you get your slow cooker? A mate of mine uses a rice cooker as a substitute but I have not tried that myself yet.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Takiap wrote:
prcscct wrote: I've had problems finding pork shoulder here but haven't looked everywhere.
Pete, have you looked at Makro? The Hua-Hin branch always has it, usually about 115 baht per kilo.

By the way, where did you get your slow cooker? A mate of mine uses a rice cooker as a substitute but I have not tried that myself yet.:cheers:
I don't know if she's checked Makro. It's a 40 minute drive each way but it's worth a shot when in the area. Slow cooker is Panasonic and before that a Cuisinart that burned out twice under warranty and once out of warranty so tossed it. Seems to have very sensitive electronics. The Panasonic is ok, but very basic. Low cooking is too hot and we've never used High because of that. Only place she''s found the machines is at Central in Bangkok and Pattaya, so it seems the Central Group carries them. I think Lazada Thailand carries them on-line as well. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Here's the Lazada Thailand page with the slow cookers.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-slow-cooke ... low+cooker
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I use a cheap charlie "Hanabashi" from BigC. Less than 1,000 Baht and always worked without fault for a couple of years.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

[quote="Takiap"]By the way, where did you get your slow cooker?/quote]

Got my last one at Big Kiang in Soi 88
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Big Kiang also stock a slow cooker. I was talking to a couple who bought one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it.

Edit, post crossed.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks guys.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Had these the other day and were superb - with the abundance of coconut and lime in Thailand, I doubt the ingredients will be hard to find!!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Coconut-Lime-Popsicles/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I like the looks of this one, and seems easy to make. Video at FB link. Pete :cheers:

Caprese Chicken