The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
prcscct
Hero
Hero

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by prcscct » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:00 pm

buksida wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:55 am

One would imagine it will be a premium beer at a premium price, which may determine how successful it will be - many people buy based on price first. :cheers:
Had a bottle at the weekend, it is priced inline with Thai beers as it is brewed and bottled here so not subject to the 400% import tax.
What's it taste like Buks, comparable to any local brew we already know (and don't love :shock: )? I would hope it's got some kind of German or European flavour to it. Pete :cheers:
Just 8 days of global military spending could fund 12 years of free, quality education for every child on the planet

buksida

Post by buksida » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Its a bit smoother and more refreshing than Leo or Chang and with a distinctive European flavour, but still essentially just a plain lager.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Federbräuenters They haven't published much detail yet. No web site and only a low info Facebook page. I'm interested where their brewery is and if they took over an existing or built their own. The wife has now seen it in Foodland, Villa and TOPs/Central Festival in Pattaya, but before I alerted her to pick some up. Next trip. :D Pete :cheers:
Just 8 days of global military spending could fund 12 years of free, quality education for every child on the planet

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Am sipping a Federbrau as we speak. 60 Baht for large bottle at TOPS in Rayong. Initial impression is quite good. Definitely a smooth, refreshing lager with a nutty EU flavour, and surpasses any other local brew, including Heineken IMO. I hope they make it in the market. Pete :cheers:

hhinner
Ace
Ace

Post by hhinner » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Federbrau has been around for years, but Thaibev have changed the recipe and relaunched it. Some people don't seem to think much of it - https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/federbrau/99854/

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 am

I guess it depends upon what it's compared to. If you're in a place with an unlimited selection of western beers then no, it wouldn't rate high. If you're here with the choices of local beers that we have, then it's arguably the best available. Pete :cheers:

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:34 am

and where is it available in HH?

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm

found it atMV 63 for large bottle

Pagey
Ace
Ace

Post by Pagey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't see any mention of Singha's new offering and didn't know they had released one until I saw it in the fridge at G supermarket. It's called U, 5%, but not seen it in any bars yet.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 02351.html

And for beer Lao lovers I noticed they had it in Moonshine bar on Soi 94, just before the railway line.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

khun_piet
Novice
Novice

Post by khun_piet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Being Belgian, I love to start off with a Hoegaarden to kill the thirst, then a Stella (or a Chang) with my meal, and end up with a Leffe (or a Lao, which I find very similar for a fraction of the price). All of them preferably draught if possible! .
If I was younger, I'd take the Belgian Beer Cafe franchise for Bangkok, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Koh Samui !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

one of the things that you have to accept here is that the people sellimg beer are not in the least bit interested in beer.
Iasked in a couple of bares whether they intended stocking the new Federbrau, no response, no interest in my question.

Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 pm

khun_piet wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 pm
Being Belgian, I love to start off with a Hoegaarden to kill the thirst, then a Stella (or a Chang) with my meal, and end up with a Leffe (or a Lao, which I find very similar for a fraction of the price). All of them preferably draught if possible! .
If I was younger, I'd take the Belgian Beer Cafe franchise for Bangkok, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Koh Samui !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm reasonably sure that you can get all three of those on tap (HG and Stella definitely, not 100% about Leffe) at the beer bar in Seen Space, 19 Rai. Obviously the prices aren't low.

StevePIraq
Ace
Ace

Post by StevePIraq » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Technology coming to bars, I hope it never catches on, I much prefer a young lady in short skirt pouring my beer

"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali