Television setup: advice or help urgently needed, please

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
crab
Amateur
Amateur

Television setup: advice or help urgently needed, please

Post by crab »

I've been watching videos for the past few years on my LG Smart TV using an external HD and a WDTV Live playing through a Yamaha RX-V467 receiver, with the sound going direct from the Yamaha to external speakers. The sequence, as I understand it, is sound and video from external HD to WDTV Live to Yamaha; thence video to TV and sound to speakers. Apart from the inherent limitations of the WDTV Live, this system has worked well. Until now.

The power junction box to the house exploded, causing much destruction. I was watching TV through the above system at the time. There was a loud crash and a billow of smoke. I thought the smoke came from the Yamaha, but perhaps not. Early indications are that the television set and the Yamaha may still be undamaged, though I am yet to play anything, sound or video, to verify this. Both turn on. When the system is connected to a Marantz DVD player with a malfunctioning tray, the Marantz logo appears on the tv screen; when I attach the WDTV, the WDTV logo appears. However, in neither case can I play anything. The WDTV Live turns on, but seems unable to read the files on any attached external drive. I did try to connect my ancient iPod, but am not sure whether I was doing so correctly. It did not work.

I do not have access to any local TV network.

I should be very grateful for any or all advice, including perhaps a recommendation of some reliable and competent individual whom I could pay to come to my house in Khao Tao and address the various issues. I'm technically incompetent.

Some of my questions. If the Yamaha proves to be undamaged, should I replace the WDTV Live or is there a better way to do things? The WDTV being pretty much obsolete, what should I replace it with? Is there a shop or repair centre in town where I could take the various items to be checked out?

In hope, thank you.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Television setup: advice or help urgently needed, please

Post by RCer »

What is the connection, USB or HDMI? HDMI is bigger. I'm in Khao Tao; but heading for Dr appt.
crab
Amateur
Amateur

Post by crab »

RCer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 am What is the connection, USB or HDMI? HDMI is bigger. I'm in Khao Tao; but heading for Dr appt.
HD to WDTVLive: USB
WDTVLive to Yamaha receiver: HDMI
Yamaha Receiver to LG TV: HDMI.

Hope all goes well with the doctor.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

The usb will make for easy testing. Send me a PM.