Instant Messaging

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Instant Messaging

Post by PeteC »

LINE details below. We really like it and our service of choice, as well as my kids in the US. I don't use Messenger that much as part of my small protest concerning FB. :D Messenger also pushes update downloads at you about every week. I think needless and simply a way for them to calculate quantity of users...IMO. Their description on each update..." making Messenger better for you..." BS. Pete :cheers:

https://line.me/en/

EDIT: I haven't downloaded a Messenger update for a full year, and it still works without any problems. So, what is the purpose of the weekly updates? :?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: Instant Messaging

Post by buksida »

The problem I see with IM apps is that there is no standard, each person and even country has its own preference - in Thailand it is Line and in the UK everyone is Apple mad.

The two will not talk to each other which means that there is no cross compatibility and you have to use a bunch of different ones to talk to various people. At the moment I'm forced to use all of these for social and work messaging:

SMS
Line
WhatsApp
Telegram
Slack

Then there is Viber and Tango if you want those, and Facetime for those that are locked in to what Apple tells them to use.

A pain in the arse to say the least. Bring back the days when we could send a raven!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've never tried any of them, I just use Skype and call people on their phones anywhere in the world. Obviously you have to put credit on for that but it's so cheap, it's not worth worrying about.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 am The problem I see with IM apps is that there is no standard, each person and even country has its own preference - in Thailand it is Line and in the UK everyone is Apple mad.

The two will not talk to each other which means that there is no cross compatibility and you have to use a bunch of different ones to talk to various people. At the moment I'm forced to use all of these for social and work messaging:

SMS
Line
WhatsApp
Telegram
Slack

Then there is Viber and Tango if you want those, and Facetime for those that are locked in to what Apple tells them to use.

A pain in the arse to say the least. Bring back the days when we could send a raven!
You forgot WeChat, big in Singapore and also China. :)

PS - ravens? Hogwarts send owls....
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Oops, and Zalo!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Most of my family and friends use Line and I try to get the ones who don't currently to use it. We think it's the best for texts, video calls, and sending photos. Works with phone service and over wifi.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I use both LINE and WhatsApp. Each has its good points. LINE can be used from your PC, which is useful if the phone is out of action for whatever reason. However backing up and restoring LINE is a real pain. With WhatsApp you can set automatic backups to sd card or cloud and recovery is really easy and helps make setting up a new phone less time consuming.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As an FYI, LINE yesterday implemented an "unsend" function allowing a sender to remove a sent message within 24 hours. It reflects on the receiver's screen as "deleted by sender" or similar wording. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:40 pm As an FYI, LINE yesterday implemented an "unsend" function allowing a sender to remove a sent message within 24 hours. It reflects on the receiver's screen as "deleted by sender" or similar wording. Pete :cheers:
Useful for those late night booze inspired messages, sometimes to the wrong person ! :naughty:

Remember, don't drink and dial ! :tsk:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I use FB and Skype.
Dr Smiley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr Smiley »

Hi I have multiple IM apps but use Whats App & it works on my pc too! In Singapore its the Govts choice too, for reporting problems on the MRT etc!