Shop that can increase storage space on laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Shop that can increase storage space on laptop

Post by theprice01 »

Hi,
I'm wanting to find a shop in HH that can increase my hard disk space on my Asus laptop. I need to get it to a reliable place; I don't want to go back 2 days later to hear 'sorry, can nos'
Thanks for any recommendations
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
buksida

Re: Shop that can increase storage space on laptop

Post by buksida »

You can't actually increase the capacity of an existing hard drive.

Freeing up space though is something easily done yourself, by simply cleaning up the existing drive by deleting unused files or buying an external hard disk for extra storage.

If that is too much Mr Don is pretty reliable: http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33673
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Have you checked the capacities of your C & D drives, my Asus has 200GB on C and 731GB on D, most people do not even use their D drive.

Good Asus service from top floor of Hua Hin Shopping Mall.

And as Buks said a 1TB external hard drive, back up everything on that and only keep regularly used things on the computer
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

It is now possible to buy a 2 Terabyte pen drive from Lazada. I have one. Cheap too.
https://www.lazada.co.th/newest-2tb-met ... tion=prod2
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

robcar wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm It is now possible to buy a 2 Terabyte pen drive from Lazada. I have one. Cheap too.
285baht, that's amazing
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thanks guys, especially Steve.
Iv looked around under storage but can only see the c drive, if I brought one of these external harddrives would I be able to plug it in (usb?) and download and run Adobe from the net but keep it on the harddrive?
I must be the worlds least tech savvy 27 yo :D
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Shop that can increase storage space on laptop

Post by hhinner »

StevePIraq wrote:
robcar wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm It is now possible to buy a 2 Terabyte pen drive from Lazada. I have one. Cheap too.
285baht, that's amazing
It really is amazing. If real. Hope it's not like this:

I was looking for just 16gb micro sd today and lazada is awash with unbranded fakes, and disappointed buyers (where the reviews are available).

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm
285baht, that's amazing
Umm, unbranded/generic. Will you trust your important data to this? Good luck. :D
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

theprice01 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:44 pm Thanks guys, especially Steve.
Iv looked around under storage but can only see the c drive, if I brought one of these external harddrives would I be able to plug it in (usb?) and download and run Adobe from the net but keep it on the harddrive?
I must be the worlds least tech savvy 27 yo :D
If you're talking about Photoshop it would definitely be not recommended to try to install it on a USB hard drive. You could try it, but I'm not even sure it would find all of the system files it needs (but I'm no expert on Adobe).
And definitely not possible to run from an external flash drive (according to Adobe themselves). You say install it but run it from the Internet. Do you mean cloud storage?

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/sy ... ments.html

Organise your lappie so the programs are on the internal drive, and data you are currently working on also (if possible). Use the external hard drive for storage and also programs which are actually designed to run from either internal or external disk.

The best external hard drive for heavy work is an SSD one (solid state). Still more expensive than the alternative, but will give faster performance if you really need to swap a lot of data (large image files, video rendering, etc.). But doing everything on the internal drive is the best option.

Just my opinion.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:16 pmUmm, unbranded/generic. Will you trust your important data to this? Good luck. :D
Agree with Cj on this one after a little research. No way can it be 2TB and not going to risk sticking data on any of this Chinese pish.
GN.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think we need to go back a few spaces and find out where his D Drive has gone. I would think it must be there somewhere? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thanks for all the input so far, i did what CJ suggested and put all my docs on to a usb stick but it no different at all to the storage.
I'm now thinking of buying an external hard-drive so as to download and store adobe stuff on.
Unless it will be better to get a shop to put a new internal hard-drive in?!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Your lappie probably doesn't have space enough for a second internal hard drive. Unless it's one of the big 'desktop replacement' types they used to sell. If the machine is old the hard drive will be small but should be big enough to store and run the programs you want on it.

How old is the lappie, and what Windows version are you running (if you're on a Mac then the programs I mention below are useless, and so will I be)?

Docs don't take up a lot of space. Programs, games, video files do. I think you need to find out what's taking up so much space on your lappie, because anyway it won't be healthy if it's stuffed. Did you ever run Disk Cleanup on it?

Free program https://windirstat.net/ will show you all your drives and how much space everything takes up on them. So this will also show what's on your D drive (you must have one, look in File Explorer).

Then uninstall programs you don't want and clean up rubbish (you may even have an old version of Windows stored on it if you upgraded before).

The advice below is easy to follow:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2064514 ... orage.html
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

It's a Windows 10 brought new from a supermarket in England 6 months ago.
No games, no videos or pictures....i only have 3 apps (skype, tv (sorry) and British airways)
I'v looked at removing stuff that was built in on the system manager but it says the computer won't work properly if i remove anything that was on there to begin with.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If I was you, I'd back up any data that I need, and then take it to Mr Don to re-format/reload. He'll only charge 400 Baht, you'll get it back same day, and save yourself a hell of a lot of grief.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18