Shop that can increase storage space on laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Shop that can increase storage space on laptop

Post by 404cameljockey »

He's said there's nothing on the drive except a few little bits and pieces, read the thread. Either the drive or system level software looks at fault. :)
loua_oz

Post by loua_oz »

OP is not responding to repeat questions, some even giving step-by-step instructions how to check drive size and usage.
Then, if he says no data on the drive, it is impossible that drive is filled up.

The most trivial reason would be that someone somehow formatted a hefty drive as a much smaller.
Another possibility may be that the drive is rubbish itself, it detected and fenced off bad sectors to prevent them from use. That happens on each and every drive but the extent is hardly if anything noticeable, this would be a technically possible, can be reproduced in the labs but such a bad batch of drives would have hit the press.

Good heavy duty disk drives (used by banks, airlines, large companies) cost 4,000 US$ each (128GB). Junk that ends up in laptops and PCs is maybe 2% of all the revenue disk drive manufacturers make.

Asus not a premium brand: might not be what HP, DELL or Lenovo stand for but is made on the same assembly line, by the same people, with the same components at FoxConn factories in China. 2 days they make HP, 2 days DELL, 1 day Apple, 1 day Asus. The exact same facility, components and people. The price differs by what goes in and what does not.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

loua_oz wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 am OP is not responding to repeat questions,
Correct - he/she hasn't been active on the forum since 28 Sept'.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

loua_oz wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 am Good heavy duty disk drives (used by banks, airlines, large companies) cost 4,000 US$ each (128GB). Junk that ends up in laptops and PCs is maybe 2% of all the revenue disk drive manufacturers make.
I don’t know any large company that would pay $4,000 for a 128GB drive. Yes, they use ‘enterprise’ grade drives but go for quantity in RAID arrays (the ‘I’ stands for ‘inexpensive’) rather than quality. I think you have watched too many YouTube documentaries.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
loua_oz

Post by loua_oz »

That has actually been my bread and butter for 20 years, that is what I am manager for in Japan, support for 20 billion US enterprise grade installed base.

The 4,000$ mark is from years back but that changes slowly, could be few hundreds down today. The drives have own not only microcode but own operating system that does RAID and CRC calculations, hosts just dump whatever they have and the drives handle it themselves. Nominally same maker, type and size drive would in the shop be max 5% of what its enterprise cousin cost.

More of 128GB means big is not beautiful as data can not be written or read fast enough if the limited number of heads are flying over larger number of cylinders.

Bigger (and cheaper) drives are for development departments, CAD/CAM, Data analysis, source for reporting, backups instead of tapes.
People who make youtube videos or watch them , as we see, would not have a clue there is human activity of this kind.

What you see in the PCs is in disk drives world what MacDonalds is in gastronomy.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I stand corrected. I don’t watch YouTube documentaries but also had no clue there is human activity of this kind.
:bow:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
loua_oz

Post by loua_oz »

No worries. I am still curious what happened to that drive to run out of space.

Not widely known thing, the drive in question is most likely at home in Thailand. 70% of all hard drives are manufactured in Ayutthaya. All 3 manufacturers ; Hitachi, Western Digital, Seagate, are there. Nidec, maker of HDD motors also, 80% of world HDD motors and suspensions also come from Ayutthaya.

Floods in November 2011. paralyzed IT industry.