BT Smart talk in Thailand

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

BT Smart talk in Thailand

Post by thecolonel »

I would imagine many of you chaps (and chapesses) out there in LOS would have BT when in UK... So, anyone out there cracked using BT smart talk in Thailand? I tried last year and failed but was I just being a dope?!(or was it my device back then) BT assured me it would work in Thailand... but they wouldn't they?! Surely the use of VOIP is permissible in Thailand? Any feedback appreciated

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: BT Smart talk in Thailand

Post by Vital Spark »

Living outside the UK for a fair few years, I'm not really sure what BT Smart Talk is. However, from my experience of BT whilst in the UK, they're pretty good at charging ridiculous prices. I guess you're talking about ringing the UK from Thailand? Whenever I call my Mum from here I use Skype to her landline. I can talk to her for a good 30 minutes and it costs very little. If I used Skype to Skype on her computer it would cost nothing, but at the age of 84 she struggles a bit with technology.

VS

P.S. It's a lot better than it used to be, and there is hardly a delay with the voice transmission.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You can also use numerous free apps on your mobile phone to call almost anywhere for free. For years the companies I have dealt with during my travels have used WhatsApp which is free so why pay to use a service.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I have successfully used BT Smart Talk in Thailand but it is a bit of a faff to set-up initially and I prefer to use Skype. Smart Talk has it's own app you have to use that is not great and I think there is a limit to just 60 minutes of call time available. I find that a 10€ credit with Skype seems to last me ages and is a more user-friendly interface.

As StevePIraq says, you can also use WhatsApp, Line, FaceTime, Facebook Messenger and plenty of others provided the party you are calling is connected to you on the service. Where they are not, however, this is where Skype comes in for me.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thanks.... Re other apps I agree and I would always use those first. But the reason I would like smart talk to work is for when I phone UK companies such as Banks and utility companies who don't use those apps. So then I can call their landlines for free plus you tend to have to wait a while so waiting won't cost. But it's interesting to hear that Skype credits go a long way. Plus on the occasions when I have used my Tru credit to call UK banks etc I have found it to be not stupid money in any event... But free is always better right?! Hey JJB, I may PM you when I'm back there because last year I tried it and it just wasn't having it (despite being fully set up in UK) thanks

PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I suggest you use Skype - is costs very very little. Just look up their rates to various countries
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:16 am Hey JJB, I may PM you when I'm back there because last year I tried it and it just wasn't having it (despite being fully set up in UK) thanks
Happy to help out if I can. One thing I do remember as being important is that you need to set-up Smart Talk while you are in the UK on your home, BT wifi network, first, then you can use it around the world.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Ah yes, but I was fully functional in UK last year but when I got to HH it came up with some error message that I simply couldn't get past. There's a slim chance that might be device related as this phone performs better with smart talk than previous one( where the recipient of my call always got an annoying echo, my end was fine). Again, I will look into Skype credit