Fibre Optic router for 3BB

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Fibre Optic router for 3BB

Post by 404cameljockey »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:46 pm
buksida wrote:Told you, that is a helluva difference testing to a Thai server than an international one, you're getting less than 25% of your advertised bandwidth.
Yes I know, but previously I had only approx. 20-30% of the above speeds over wifi. For example the speed to the Bangkok server was only approx. 60Mbps down and 50Mbps upload. As you see now my wifi speed is over 200Mbps down and over 100Mbps upload. A remarkable improvement.

Previosly one of the tv channels I use to watch in Norway was changing between HD and SD quality, but mostly it was SD. Now it constantly stays on in HD and never buffers, so I both feel the improvement and physically sees it on my TV and in tests. For me the purchase of a new wifi router was totally worth it compared to the poor wifi from the Huawei gateway/router supplied by 3BB.
ISPs rarely 'give' you a decent router capable of good wifi connection. If you are prepared to buy and configure one yourself, in my long experience it will always give you better speeds/connectivity.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Fibre Optic router for 3BB

Post by PET »

This is an impossible job for most users to do themselves. Surely there is a professional person or company that can do this configuration? Anybody know please?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Re: Fibre Optic router for 3BB

Post by buksida »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:49 pm But your fibre connection to the local ISP's gateway is the one that shows whether you have a good connection or not. What happens when you connect to overseas IP addresses (again, via your local ISP's gateway) is another matter. If it's not as fast you still can't complain that you don't have the service/speed you paid for, unless you have taken one of these packages which is supposed to be specifically for people wanting to connect to overseas sites (isn't that all of us?...), but I have no idea what that is supposed to give you, maybe a better contention ratio to increase your bandwith?
This is where their sly marketing comes in. A 200Mb connection will only be that fast for local servers ie Thai websites. Which is pretty much useless to anyone not Thai, so testing speed to Bangkok and claiming you're getting 200 when you're only really using 20 every time you go online is pretty futile. The ISPs should make it clear that these "speeds" are domestic, not international, as they throttle the bandwidth for that. Hence the need to run speed tests outside of Thailand to find out what it is actually running at for your requirements.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson