The Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: The Bitcoin and cryptocurrency thread

Post by buksida »

btcprice.jpg
btcprice.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 966 times

It may have changed by $400 over the past 24 hours but it certainly has NOT done in the last hour.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida

Post by buksida »

Something similar happened in Phuket a week or so ago:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30336546
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thistle: I think you would be singing from a different song sheet had you invested in Cryptos 6 months ago.

The January drop is normal for Cryptos (as it is with a lot of shares). Who knows what heights, or lows, it could reach in the next 6 months? As Buksida, and I, have said on this particular thread pages ago - don't invest any more money than you're prepared to lose.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I can certainly assure you,and Para Handy,,,,,,,,,,i would not be singing a different tune,,,,,,,i never invested,and will never invest in something that can be so volatile,,,,,,,,,,,,i think from your previous posts as well as Buksida,you both did,,,,,,,,good luck to you.I still maintain,the volatility is not normal,,,,,,,Okay,you bought when it was something new,good luck,great,and i am happy you are making a few shekels,,,,,,,,hope it finances your next amazing trip,,,,,,,,,i have no interest in buying something,that i know nothing about and have no control over buying/selling.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Had i decided to jump on the late band-wagon,and bought early this month at perhaps between 15,000,,,,,,,nearly topped out at 20,000,what would my situation be now??? Its trading at ,11,000 now!! Should i take my loss,or sit on the coin--------coins i bought??
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I can assure you, Thistle, that I sadly haven't got enough invested to finance another amazing trip, but had we invested that money into Bitcoin then instead of splashing out on an adventure...... :wink:

OK, let's use the 'ifs' here. If your friend had invested in Bitcoin at 15,000 and didn't need the money right now, I'd suggest they hold on for a few months.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Thistle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm Had i decided to jump on the late band-wagon,and bought early this month at perhaps between 15,000,,,,,,,nearly topped out at 20,000,what would my situation be now??? Its trading at ,11,000 now!! Should i take my loss,or sit on the coin--------coins i bought??
This is not the late band wagon. This is still very early in the whole scheme of things. Everyday more and more people are learning about this technology and more and more are investing. As time goes on it will become easier to understand and easier to trade. In the big picture of things the numbers are still up, zoom out on the charts and look at the rise in prices. When the markets are bleeding and people are getting scared and selling off, it is time to buy up some more. It’s a roller coaster ride for sure but it’s a lot of fun!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Bitcoin bandits commit first ever cryptocurrency heist

By Seb Costello • Europe Correspondent
2:25pm Jan 30, 2018
On a quiet day there are less than 600 people in Moulsford. Most days are quiet.
The village lies along the Thames River, ninety-minute’s drive to the west of London.
It’s the sort of scenery where Ratty and Otter began their adventures in The Wind and the Willows. The TV show Midsummer Murders occasionally uses the town for filming.

But last week a real crime was committed in Moulsford.

It happened on Monday morning. Around the time that most locals would be putting the kettle on.Four men approached a barn that had been converted into a four-bedroom home. When they got to the end of the private drive-way, they kicked-in the front door.The residents – Danny Aston, 30, and his partner Amy, 31 – suddenly found themselves under attack. The balaclava-wearing crooks were armed and organised.Mr Aston was held at gunpoint, Amy was tied up and their new-born baby was moved onto the front porch in a pram. The cryptocurrency is open to anyone and can be traded anywhere in the world. Users store up Bitcoins in an online wallet and choose various ways to cash them out for real currency.

In September 2016 one Bitcoin was worth $A815. This month the same amount was being traded for $A13,000.
Danny Aston was a Bitcoin trader and ran a currency business from the Moulsford home. He’d also recently started a blog under the name “Goldiath”, offering Bitcoin tips.It was a safe operation until the gunmen arrived. With weapons drawn, the gang stood over Mr Aston. The robbers ordered him to open his computer and forced him to transfer an unknown quantity of his Bitcoins.

It’s the first cryptocurrency robbery in British history.

Up until now the story of Bitcoin has focused on opportunity. There are no banks involved so the transaction fees are minimal. Users seem to be getting rich.Rapper 50 Cent recently boasted that he’d forgotten he once accepted a payment in Bitcoin and claimed the untouched stake was now worth $A8.6million.But the system is murky. Traders are identified by a number. Real names are not required and even the founder of Bitcoin has never been formally identified.

It’s feared that this anonymity has made the currency very attractive to criminals. The Australian government fears it is being used to help fund terrorism.In Mr Aston’s case, some traders reportedly used his real name in online posts. This may have allowed the robbers to trace his address.Yes, technology can assist police. Detectives quickly appealed for mobile phone or dash-cam footage from the day of the robbery. But Bitcoin has clearly created a new challenge for law enforcement.The secretive nature of the transactions makes police work near-impossible. Bitcoin is designed so that no-one can track where the extorted money was sent.

There is also a lesson for potential or current traders. The headlines may declare that Bitcoin can make your rich. But so far, they haven’t mentioned it could make you a target for an untraceable robbery.
Mr Aston is now said to be in hiding. Who could blame him? Sometimes your money is safer in the bank.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/01/ ... ency-heist
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
buksida

Post by buksida »

Old news, already posted 8 posts above.

Seems those millennials cant get enough of it:
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/01/30/over ... or-crypto/
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

buksida wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am Old news, already posted 8 posts above.

Seems those millennials cant get enough of it:
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/01/30/over ... or-crypto/
I had seen your post but missed Steves! My Bad! :oops:
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
buksida

Post by buksida »

Things happen fast in crypto land. :mrgreen:
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

http://www.businessinsider.com/over-1-m ... pto-2018-1

Over 1 million people have signed up for Robinhood Crypto

Over 1 million people have signed up for early access to Robinhood Crypto, just five days after the California brokerage announced it was crashing the gates of cryptocurrency trading.

Screen Shot 2018 01 29 at 1.01.54 PM Robinhood
Robinhood, which is best known for its zero-commission stock trading app, announced Thursday it would offer bitcoin and ethereum trading in February. Since making the announcement, 1,000,400 people have signed up for the service.

Robinhood is rolling out the new feature in waves, launching first in five states: California, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, and Montana.

"Crypto is going to change the world and we want to help drive that," Robinhood cofounder Baiju Bhatt told Business Insider in an interview prior to the announcement.

Still, some market-watchers think the milestone indicates a broader bubble in the market for digital coins.

Joe Saluzzi, cofounder of brokerage firm Themis Trading, told Business Insider it shows "a lot of people are trying to get in."

"When any Joe-Schmo can issue a coin and then have a $1 billion market cap, it makes you think there's a bubble," he added.

Robinhood would be one of the first non-crypto companies to try to break into the cryptocurrency trading market, which is known for outages, high-fees, and long periods of downtime. Bhatt said the company is prepared to onboard new clients and handle volumes. Here's Bhatt:

"Today our business transacts 10,000 different symbols in equities and ETFs. We see millions of trades a day. In our brokerage industry there is no excuse for down time. We plan on bringing that mind-set to the crypto space. We don't view any of that stuff as acceptable."

From a business standpoint, Bhatt said the move is a customer acquisition play. The firm has already racked up over 3 million users. Bhatt sees cryptocurrency bringing that number to new heights.

"We are going to break-even on this," he said. "But it could dramatically increase user growth."

Robinhood is valued at $1.3 billion, according to the company, and has raised over $170 million. The firm has declined to comment on its profitability.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Already posted, three up!

Here is an amusing one, though not for those that invested ...

Fruity Prodeum ICO Scammers Leave Penis in Their Wake
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/01/30/prod ... heir-wake/
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The volatility in Bitcoin seems to be continuing,and after a conversation today,i wonder if gambling is taken over as a way of life.
A friend pointed out that most major football grounds around the world have Bet 365 or similar,advertising betting outlets.
Visit a book-makers or a public house,the machines have a prize of perhaps £100 or more.
If you own a dedit card,you can gamble.
Of course not all people are doing this,probably a minimum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but when its visibly advertised to gamble,youngsters being youngsters.
Open a web site,,,,,,,,,,,,,headlines read"do you want to make money,buy bitcoin".This obviously is not creating the current scenario,but i wonder if the overall influence of possibly making a few dlrs becomes a compound affect.
Just a thought!