Linux "Endless OS"

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Linux "Endless OS"

Post by PeteC »

Seems a new operating system under the Linux umbrella. Available in Thai language as well. Video at bottom of home page worth watching. I've not read any reviews on it. Pete :cheers:

https://endlessos.com
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: Linux "Endless OS"

Post by buksida »

Have been running Linux Mint for a few months and am most impressed with it. It is far faster and a lot more stable than Windoze 10. No waiting for 20 minutes everytime the damn thing wants to update itself either!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida, would you recommend Linux Mint for a novice who uses only, internet search & email? I've been using win 7 for years and it's become annoying.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

buksida wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:54 pm No waiting for 20 minutes everytime the damn thing wants to update itself either!
You can turn off automatic updates. Check manually when it's convenient. Given how buggy - even by Microsoft standards - Win 10 updates have been, I recommend everyone check this site first to see if it's safe to do the monthly update: www.askwoody.com/ The MS-DEFCON banner says how safe or dangerous it is to update.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:18 pm buksida, would you recommend Linux Mint for a novice who uses only, internet search & email? I've been using win 7 for years and it's become annoying.
Is your email browser based, e.g., gMail? Then the only problem is getting used to a new browser.

Mint, like many other Linux versions, has a 'live version'. Burn it to a CD (or a USB stick), boot from the CD (or USB) and you'll have an almost fully functioning version. Almost because you can't save anything to a disk.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:18 pm buksida, would you recommend Linux Mint for a novice who uses only, internet search & email? I've been using win 7 for years and it's become annoying.
handrummer, I've tried several linux distributions and they all take a little getting used to if you've mainly been a windows person, but once you use them for a while you'll never go back. For the beginner I would recommend Ubuntu. It's perfect for how you described your usage. You can run it from a thumb drive on your windows pc to see if you like it before you do a full install.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/t ... -windows#0
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

As mentioned above Ubuntu is probably a better choice for Linux novices. Browsers are the same on Linux and Windoze if you use Chrome or Firefox, and you can also get Thunderbird on both for email (unless yours is web based).

As mentioned above above you can use a live CD version to play with the operating system without actually installing it.

I only go back to Windoze when I need a program that I can't get on Linux or any emulators so my laptop has been setup to dual boot.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

From distrowatch.com: Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. ... Ubuntu is built following the Linux philosophy of 100% open source. You want to play an mp3 or a DVD, etc? You have to add codecs to Ubuntu. Sure they're available. But they are included with Mint. There's a reason Mint is the most popular Linux version on distrowatch.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thank you all. that's one reason I love this forum.