Wanting Android Tablet

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Wanting Android Tablet

Post by RCer »

The winner is iPad Pro. Key was being able to test it. 3 Samsung shops didn't have wifi. Nvidia was not available. Other brands were cell service required.

I just wanted wifi, dynamite graphics, and power.

Thanks for the help.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

robcar wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 6:03 am According to that website it is loaded with Windows 8.1 an unsupported OS that was aborted quite some time ago.
The lifecycle of Windows 8.1 will remain under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8 with support ending 1/10/2023.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... cle-policy
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

RCer wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 1:13 pm Key was being able to test it. 3 Samsung shops didn't have wifi.
Got smartphone? Most have wifi Hotspot capability. Anything with WiFi can connect to the Hotspot.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

@Homer. Apologies to you and everyone for the misinformation with regard to 8.1.

Can't recall where but sure I read that it was going the same way as XP and 7 with support fading as time went on :oops:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

sateeb wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 2:31 am Are you saying that Asus and Lenovo are pre-loading malware?
No I'm talking about the generic Chinese manufacturers such as Blueboo, Cubot and any of the other 1000 names they go by.

Asus just pre-load a horrific interpretation of the Android OS that doesn't stopp bugging you and telling you all about the features it has - avoid at all costs!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

My ASUS Android device doesn't have or do as described above. Along with the wife's, both tablets, mine Google's Nexus7 by ASUS, hers an ASUS tablet. Both excellent tablets, and as I stated, passed the test of time.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Homer wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 pm
RCer wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 1:13 pm Key was being able to test it. 3 Samsung shops didn't have wifi.
Got smartphone? Most have wifi Hotspot capability. Anything with WiFi can connect to the Hotspot.
I had to many options to look at for me to be willing to set up and remove each one.

Plus, I'm big into customer service.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

laphanphon wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:05 pm ... Both excellent tablets, and as I stated, passed the test of time.
'the test of time' is part of my evaluation when buying something for a non-trivial sum. Rapid change in computer based products means I pay more attention to the last six months.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

laphanphon wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:05 pm My ASUS Android device doesn't have or do as described above. Along with the wife's, both tablets, mine Google's Nexus7 by ASUS, hers an ASUS tablet. Both excellent tablets, and as I stated, passed the test of time.
To be fair my ASUS device is a phone, not a tablet, so maybe they have a different philosophy when it comes to tablets. But my ASUS Zenphone has put me off ever using any of their products ever again.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Bummer. No experience with their phones.

Using one of their, ASUS laptops now, 7 years old, and gets used for everything, as I run TV / movies through it. Was on the ASUS netbook this AM, with coffee on the balcony, one of the first EECs, think that's about 9 years old, and so far, only had to replace the batteries. Nexus7 was original release, so Asus, and 5 ish years, along with wife's tablet (ASUS), bought at same time. Yea, I'm a fan, after HP, all crap, and Acer, though still have a laptop and netbook by them, and both fine. Guessing HP is keeper Acer separate from their interference..... :roll:

Phones, we don't do name brands in Thailand, all online from China. Doogee, KingZone, and Xiaomi Mi, mine, wife's and daughter's. All the Samsung, Nokia, iPhone, crap phones are in a box somewhere. Loaded with crap and overpriced. None stood the test of time.

ASUS Transformer cam out after or same time as netbook, plus my ignorance, or we probably would have got those, though not sure if Android back then, as I hate windows, and avoid using their programs as much as possible.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Get rid of that Doggee right now - or at the very least check your running processes for suspicious items like com.android.snap and whatever else they install to 'call home' and then pop up adware after the first few months of usage. My last Doggee, and last ChinaPhone full stop, was loaded with such mlware. I then found out that the Blueboo that I'd been using before it had also been calling home; though never pushed ads to me.

It's a shame because until then, I'd been a great advocate of ChinaPhones. But with the recent wave of dodgy (hah) spyware, and as they no longer seem to offer the benefits that they previously did (try finding a model with both dual-sim and a separate SD slot and big battery these days....) I'll happily pay a couple of thousand baht more for a brand name phone. It's just a crying shame that the ASUS I went for turned out to be such a dud.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Mines excellent so far, and came fairly naked. Actually surprised me how little was pre-loaded. X5 pro model. Think the USB charging port is going to crap out though, as finicky at times with good conx, and ordered a spare battery and ext. charger just the other day.

For the price, beats anything sold here at the brand name shops for silly prices. Has an excellent camera and GPS, along with wifi receiver.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Pleng wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 pm (try finding a model with both dual-sim and a separate SD slot and big battery these days....)
Samsung J7 2016 (yes, the year is part of the name)
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Homer wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 pm
Pleng wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 pm (try finding a model with both dual-sim and a separate SD slot and big battery these days....)
Samsung J7 2016 (yes, the year is part of the name)
J7 2016. Had one of those. Unfortunately it fell into the Themes on a visit to England last year.
I don't call a 3xxx milliamp battery 'big' but it's better than the average phone for sure. Very difficult to root (I gave up) and not a fan of Samsung's eye-candy, though it's certainly better than the ASUS Zen crap. The challenge, however, was to find a recent model of ChinaPhone that has said features.

laphanphon wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 pm Mines excellent so far, and came fairly naked. Actually surprised me how little was pre-loaded. X5 pro model. Think the USB charging port is going to crap out though, as finicky at times with good conx, and ordered a spare battery and ext. charger just the other day.

For the price, beats anything sold here at the brand name shops for silly prices. Has an excellent camera and GPS, along with wifi receiver.
And have you checked it for the spyware apps listed in the link I gave you...??? These aren't bloatware apps, you don't see them in your app drawer, they're system processes that run in the background. If it's the X5 then that's the VERY model I had, and it was loaded with spyware. Check your running processes for suspicious items such as com.android.snap, com.gangyun.beautysnap, or FineSearch.apk. Make sure you check "show system apps".

Better still, install "no-root-firewall" and you'll be alerted to all the processes that are trying to access the internet, and you can deny them access... which I did as soon as I found out what was going on until I was able to source a new phone. Total Commander is also good for identifying suspect processes, but it won't be able to block them.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Pleng wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:25 pm The challenge, however, was to find a recent model of ChinaPhone that has said features.
Which is why I mentioned it, as an alternative.
BTW, I routinely get 2 days per charge on my J7 2016. When traveling I've had battery to spare at the end of heavy use days of GPS, internet, and mp3 playing.

Thanks for the Spyware info.