Smartphone thermometer

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Smartphone thermometer

Post by hhfarang »

Pete, my Samsung Galaxy phone has sensors that tell the temperature, humidity, light (in lux), barometric pressure, and altitude.

I find that the temperature one always reads much hotter than the ambient temp... right now by 8 degrees F when compared to other thermometers in my home. I think that is because the phone itself is hotter and raising the temp of the sensor, so it's probably not useful as an ambient temperature thermometer.

BTW, when I started writing this I took the phone off the charger to check the temperature. After about 3 minutes off the charger it has cooled by 5 degrees so the sensor is definitely affected by the temperature of the phone itself as it is hotter while charging.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

hhfarang wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm Pete, my Samsung Galaxy phone has sensors that tell the temperature, humidity, light (in lux), barometric pressure, and altitude.

I find that the temperature one always reads much hotter than the ambient temp... right now by 8 degrees F when compared to other thermometers in my home. I think that is because the phone itself is hotter and raising the temp of the sensor, so it's probably not useful as an ambient temperature thermometer.

BTW, when I started writing this I took the phone off the charger to check the temperature. After about 3 minutes off the charger it has cooled by 5 degrees so the sensor is definitely affected by the temperature of the phone itself as it is hotter while charging.
That sensor is not for measuring ambien temperature, but for the temperature of the phone itself. It is there to prevent the phone to overheat while using or charging.
YNWA
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Take a look at this:

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/6-sma ... rs-475356/

6 Smartphones with temperature sensors
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Thanks. That really answers it. Seems that Samsung so far is the only major player to go down that road without having to attach some kind of external probe. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Geko wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 pm Take a look at this:

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/6-sma ... rs-475356/

6 Smartphones with temperature sensors
And then my question would be, how many really have these phones these days? Again this is not a normal feature in any phone but for very selective ones, and some are in fact outdated too, like the Samsung Galaxy S4. Here is the list btw so people can make up there own mind how common it is with ambient temperature sensor in a mobile phone:\
  • Bartec Pixavi Impact X
  • Samsung Galaxy Note III
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Fujitsu Arrows Z ISW13F
  • Casio G’zOne Commando
  • Snopow M6
I have had Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S5 and now Galaxy S7. And also many of the Sony Xperia phones including the Compact versions too. None have had ambient temperature sensors!
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes, that's true. Samsung seems to have tried it but didn't follow through with it as a standard item on all models. Can only guess that perhaps customers didn't care that much, and/or the space taken by the internal sensor proved more valuable for something else. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Pete

Just found a watch that has temperature included as a function, looks a bit cheap and nasty but maybe ok for your football matches

http://www.lazada.co.th/thermometer-sto ... 43615.html
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks for that Geko. I've been looking around as well and that's probably the route I'll take. :thumb:

Also, more and more out now about the Apple IPhone "Edition" AKA IPhone 8. Available around the end of the year, bells and whistles to the moon and costs around USD1,000. Tagged as a designer phone. :shock: In any event, all the clips I've seen about it doesn't show any built in thermometer either so I guess it's something we'll rarely or never see in a smart phone. Pete :cheers:
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Thermometer

Post by mariad »

RCer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm
mariad wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 pm I think there should be an app already, since there are apps for your heart rate and blood pressure measuring.
The heart rate monitor uses the light and light receiver on the phone near the camera. It pulses light through your skin and senses the return to get the speed of the pulse.

I don't think smartphones have a temperature sensor.
Well that was a just a thought that could be there. Thanks for providing an insight. But we never know