Email provider

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Email provider

Post by Nereus »

The free email that I have been using for the last 15 years is shutting down. They did post a general notice about it with an offer to upgrade to a paid account. As I did not do it the first day the notice was posted, the link that they provide does not now work, just opens with a message "you are not eligible for an upgrade at this time"! I have tried to contact them by email, but no response.

This morning it came up with: "you can no longer send emails"! Can still receive and read until next month, following which the whole shooting match will be deleted!

So, who is using what? I do have a Hotmail account, but do not want to use that as a secure account. Gmail seems to have a good reputation, but what about the advertising, is it a PITA?

Any recommendations anyone?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Re: Email provider

Post by PeteC »

I use Gmail and I don't get/have any advertising at all. I can't explain it except that they ask for age and I signed up about 2 years ago when 65. Perhaps they give old farts a break?! :laugh:

Yahoo is not bad but you do get advertising. They're being taken over by Verizon shortly so I would think their email service will get new bells and whistles. I got a yahoo.co.uk email address to try to separate it from the run of the mill yahoo.com address.

If you don't mind parting with $40 per year, take a look at Fastmail. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Fastmail is an Australian company based in Melbourne. Good company.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Gmail & Hotmail/Outlook are both good, personally I would not touch Yahoo after all the hacking they have had.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Perhaps they give old farts a break?!

In that case REAL old farts should get paid to use it! Thanks Pete. :cheers:

I was prepared to pay for the one that I have, but even trying to set up a new account it says: "we are not opening new accounts at this time". Better off without them, and I have been able to copy all my current addresses, but there is a bunch of other stuff that would like to keep.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Ditto with Gmail. I've been using it for years now and haven't encountered any problems - so far.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ ^ Who is it that's going out of business?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote:
Perhaps they give old farts a break?!

In that case REAL old farts should get paid to use it! Thanks Pete. :cheers: ........
The way the youngsters in charge now think, people over 60 don't buy anything any longer so why waste advertising on them? I hope they keep thinking that way and don't bother me! :laugh: :thumb: Youth focused society, as we were when we were them. :wink: Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:^ ^ Who is it that's going out of business?
They are not going out of business per se, rather they are terminating the free service. It is Techemail.com, which is supposedly part of Everybody.net. I cannot get to the bottom of it. They have endless links to Everybody.net, including a US address and 800 phone number. But they DO NOT answer emails! They have a page which I filled in that turned to garbage when I attempted to submit it. I have sent emails to the address listed to no avail. One of the links showed a current status page, which up until yesterday was showing "some issues that we are aware of". Today the same page is showing everything as being up and normal.

If I had known they were going to block the posting part first I could probably have migrated(I HATE that expression!) to another provider. Fastmail shows several ways of how to do it, but I doubt any of them would work now that sending is blocked.

I have to wonder how an American Company can get away with this given the liability laws in the States. I have yet to find anything useful concerning it on the Internet. :?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, I tried signing up and got the same message as you, that they're not accepting new accounts. Whois shows:

REGISTRANT CONTACT
Name:PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC
Street:12808 Gran Bay Parkway West
City:Jacksonville
State:FL
Postal Code:32258
Phone:+1.5707088780

I'v never heard of them. Maybe they're on Trump's hit list and owners headed south?! :shock: :wink:
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

I also recommend gmail.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Had a Hotmail acc in Thailand but started to get trouble with it so signed up to Gmail and never looked back. :thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you dont want your own domain name you cant really go wrong with Gmail.

Hotmail and Yahoo are unreliable and amateur, you'll lose a lot of genuine mail with those two.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Do you know anything about the following, Buksi? I am not sure if my current provider is using IMAP, POP3 or how's your father! But I would pay the $15 to save my existing files. I have not set up a new address as yet.

https://www.yippiemove.com/about.html

Name sounds a bit iffy to say the least. Many years ago in Oz I had a local ISP called "Zippynet". Somebody broke into his office one night and destroyed the server! That was around year 2000, and I think that is when I set up the one I have now.
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you want something reliable you need to buy your own domain and setup the hosting on a reliable provider (none can claim 100% reliability though) with decent support.

Or use Gmail!

Never heard of Yippiemove but if you used POP3 all of your email should be on your computer, if IMAP it will all still be on the server, if webmail (ala Hotmail, Yahoo) it will be lost if the company has folded or blocked your access. If you can still access the inbox there should be an mail export option there somewhere.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

lomuamart wrote:Ditto with Gmail. I've been using it for years now and haven't encountered any problems - so far.

Agree - no probs with my Gmail to date. I do try to keep it 'clean' - family and friends only - and give out the Hotmail address for all other day to day stuff.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.