setting up a new smartphone

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

setting up a new smartphone

Post by thecolonel »

im mostly UK based, but spend 4 to 5 months HH. i fancy a new smartphone(China import) but concerned whether everything will work when trying to set up all apps especially banking, and even my UK sim. Anyone been through this experience and any tips? thanks
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: setting up a new smartphone

Post by hhinner »

Find the phone you might be interested in and check the sellers. Some sellers now have warehouses in Europe, which eliminates duty, but not VAT. In case of faults it's obviously easier to claim with a company in Europe rather than China. Check reviews of the phone. Does the phone come with an international ROM, or are you comfortable modifying the phone yourself? Check ROMs available for the phone. If the phone is too cheap to be true then beware. Consider buying reputable brands such as Xiaomi, Huawei, etc. Check reviews of the seller.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Check the phone specs to see whether the frequency band you need are supported. 4G? 3G?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

your points are most valid, and i have satisfied myself that it will work in UK & Thailand, my question related more to setting it all up from thailand,(not UK) i think a few apps may say "we have detected you are in not in the country"(uk) and wont function, in which case there's an argument to wait until i return home in 2 months, or just accept that not all of my apps will be fully functioning,thanks
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

You can usually get around geoblocking on app installation by installing Hola (or other VPN) and using it to use play store as if from UK (for example). You may then need to use the app itself with Hola (or other VPN) if it's only for use within a certain country. Is that what you mean?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Using the mobile apps here in HH is not the issue, but the setting up of some of them, I suspect, is. Your geoblocking app may be a way round that, I'm simply unfamiliar with that process. But I can have a go! Worst case is I can use my computer if the mobile app won't set up, so I suppose it doesn't stop me getting the phone now if I want. But I wasn't even aware of duty and tax until you mention it... what am I looking at on a 130 us dollar phone from Gear Best? Thanks

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

If it's delivered to Thailand by post (sent via China Post, Hong Kong post, Singapore post, Sweden post, Netherlands post, or whatever Gearbest are using these days) there won't be any duty. Sometimes VAT (7%). Couriers like UPS, DHL will probably charge you all sorts of fees. Officially there should be no duty because of the sino-asean FTA. Of course, you will need patience if you opt for postal delivery, though it's often much quicker than stated on the sellers web site.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Apps from my US financial institutions will install only in the US. Once installed, they can be used by wifi over a VPN that has servers in the US.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I have same issue re install(UK) for financial apps but after that no need for VPN when here they just work. I think the resolution to my query is that I have to accept that a few certain apps on my current device will not work on new one, unless I get lucky with the VPN install.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk