LG TV input

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

LG TV input

Post by StevePIraq »

I have two LG large screen TV's, one has a USB input slot so I can copy movies from PC to USB and watch on TV, the other TV has the following:
HDMI/DVI in; HDMI in; RGB in; RS-232C in; no USB. I believe I need a convertor from RGB to USB, is this correct?

I hope someone here can help and maybe even know where I can buy one.
I went to Homepro and they had no idea
20160908_150709.jpg
20160908_150709.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Re: LG TV input

Post by buksida »

RGB is VGA - there is no conversion to USB. You can either convert VGA to HDMI (I bought one on Lazada but it didn't work) or plugin HDMI direct from your laptop to the TV.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

If your PC has HDMI out you can connect to the TV with an HDMI cable. If your PC has only RGB (VGA) out you can use a RGB cable to connect.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But isn't this a RGB to USB adaptor? I would swear I have even seen a one piece unit without a cable.

http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Con ... rters.aspx
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
I know about connecting with cables but that is not what I am looking for, I want the ease of using a USB memory stick
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's a USB to COM port adapter. Didn't think they made them but these might work if you cant plug the computer in direct: http://www.mc.co.th/eshop/131-usb-to-vga-audio
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

The device you need is called an "O!Play Media Player" manufactured by ASUS. It is a fairly small box that connects to your TV either by HDMI cable or by the cable with three RCA jacks color coded red, yellow and white. Then you plug either a usb drive / stick or memory cards (SD/MMC/MS/ xD) into the O!Play to display content from these memory devices on the TV. The O!Play has a mini-computer capable of decoding a variety of movie and still picture file types. You can order it online or I have one I'm not using that I can sell you. Mine became unnecessary when I purchased a Smart TV that has both the USB ports to plug in my memory stick plus the smart tv has the mini-computer necessary to decode and play the movies I put on my USB stick. You might be able to find a converter that will let you physically attach a USB stick to one of your other input ports, but I'm pretty sure that you will then find the old Tv doesn't have the computer processing power to be able to recognize the USB or do anything with it.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Is the Google cast available in Thailand?
Great bit of kit...
https://www.google.com/cast/
GN.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

These folk are correct Steve, it's not about the shape of the input socket or configuration of connectors, it's whether a decoder is available inside the TV. A USB port feeds into a hardware decoder and is quite different from DVI/HDMI/RGB etc. that carry an already decoded signal, which can often then be format-converted by some kind of cable or adapter.

As others have said, your best bet is to use a cheap media player that can decode your USB content and deliver it via HDMI or other format to your TV. It's not big money to get hold of one and the simplest answer yet may be to connect a PC via HDMI or RGB to the TV.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Ok I understand now that it is not just the connector but the software and goodies inside the TV which I know nothing about. I have been using cables but just found it such a mess. Anyway it seems there is no option.

By the way you guys should look up Minix TV media box. Great system, world wide TV channels, latest movies, internet, connects to your PC and TV, cost is 7,000Baht installed no on going costs.