Digital Cable TV Woes

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re:

Post by JimmyGreaves »

hhinner wrote:^^ JG, it was HH cable (G TV Cable) I tried the above test with. There were only the DLTV channels available to the digital tuner. However, according to their website they do have a digital package so maybe you should talk to them. packages
Hi hhinner

Not quite sure what you mean yes we have G TV cable and if you have a digital tuner in your TV then you get the lot within the standard subscription as the scans pick up both analogue and digital. If you have tested it then you must have got all the digital channels am I correct? If so what set top do I need (I'll see if they offer one if I can make myself understood) Also do you think I can put the set top before the splitter to feed multiple rooms?

Cheers
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

JG, I hooked a TV with digital tuner up to our G TV cable and let it search for channels. Wow! You're right! It found 150 digital channels. So I got the set top box out of the cupboard and tried that again. I'm not sure what I must have done wrong the first time, but this time it found all those channels. My STB is just a cheap AJ brand one from Tesco. I wouldn't buy anything that brand again as this STB keeps resetting. Output from the STB is HDMI. You can possibly find one with AV output if your TV doesn't have HDMI. I'm guessing your splitter is for coax, so you may need one STB per TV.

Thanks a lot for the G TV info. I wonder how long they've been sending all those digital channels. I remember when I bought the STB it wouldn't find anything at all except with an antenna.

Cheers
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Digital Cable TV Woes

Post by Ratsima »

I'm still wondering why neither of my STBs will find any of the digital cable channels broadcast by Korat Cable TV. I wonder what frequencies they're using….
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I suppose someone in Korat must know. If not the cable company, then someone in a shop selling STBs should know. The problem may be finding that person.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re:

Post by Ratsima »

hhinner wrote:I suppose someone in Korat must know. If not the cable company, then someone in a shop selling STBs should know. The problem may be finding that person.
The chronic problem in Thailand: Finding the guy who really knows….

A few years back I lost the ability to ftp to my web host which is located in Malaysia. At that time my ISP was 3BB. I was sure it was a routing problem. I called and called and called, but never spoke to anyone who knew anything. They, without any thought at all, sent a technician to my house to check my router.

Finally, I gave up on 3BB and contacted the web host. I was immediately referred to a network technician who determined that 3BB had made a mistake in their routing tables. He managed to get in touch with a 3BB network engineer who corrected the routing table and, therefore, fixed my ftp problem.

It took weeks.