Tourist SIM lets government track every move

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Tourist SIM lets government track every move

Post by HHTel »

Norseman wrote:Comments like the above is either a very stupid comment, or he's i cat. 5 as pointed out in another thread.
What you are saying is that; if you're in France then there will be more French criminals than Thais.
Are you in Albania then there will be more Albanians OR Chinese, OR Germans in their respective countries.
Trace whoever you want but your post is just like you. STUPID.
You have no idea of what you are talking about.
It's not often I have to answer a posting this way, and I feel sorry of doing it, but I can't take any more of bullshit like this.
Not every Thai MAN or WOMAN is bad.
Come on. This is from Europtimist. Comments like his are what we expect from him. Everyone knows the guy is an a**hole. I think most of us let him post then immediately forget it. I can't think of one sensible post from him.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I thought europtimiste was being sarcastic.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The cocktard doesn't possess an iota of wit or sarcasm...........
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/special ... &pid=19728
ciYNm8u.jpg
ciYNm8u.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Even so. Anyone with a registered SIM is trackable anyway. Thai or farang. Conspiracy theorists might even wonder if the bomb attacks feed the government's agenda.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Absolutely correct HH. In the west a phone will be tracked when necessary.

Regarding Thailand security, didn't they make everyone register their phone sims and show proof of ID with the aim of preventing perps using their phone to trigger bombs.

That worked well didn't it!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, and it's not only the authorities that can do it in the west. I broke down a couple of times in remote areas. When the breakdown service asked where I was, I didn't really know. They asked for my phone number, and sent help by tracking my phone signal.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

While Thailand wants to track, monitor and harangue its tourists, India is giving away SIM cards free: http://travelwireasia.com/2016/09/india ... eal-think/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We also had that when we flew to Cambodia recently. Stewardess came around asking who wanted one. We took them, but didn't bother using them - Internet communication was fine.

Points 41; Position 18
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

According to http://www.gsa.com, an increasing number of governments have recently introduced mandatory registration of prepaid SIM card users (interestingly rejected by USA and UK) primarily as a tool to counter terrorism and support law enforcement efforts. However, to date there is no evidence that mandatory registration leads to a reduction in crime.

There is an interesting report on http://www.gsa.com

I just wonder where any government would find the resources to track every movement of 29 million tourists. (2015 figure of visitors to Thailand).

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Are you sure you're quoting the correct URL? It points to the General Steamship Agency, which seems way off topic.

Points 41; Position 18
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

Oops, your are right BB. missed out an "m" :oops:

Should be http://www.gsma.com
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"I just wonder where any government would find the resources to track every movement of 29 million tourists. "

Didn't the original announcement state:

"He said authorities would only be able to track tourists using the SIM cards if they had a court order,"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Tourist SIM not needed.
AIS fires employee for selling phone records

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tel ... ne-records

Mobile phone giant Advanced Info Service Plc (AIS) fired an employee on Tuesday for selling a client's phone records, including the user's locations and incoming and outgoing calls, while the national telecom regulator thinks its management deserves punishment as well.

The affected client complained on the popular pantip.com community website on Monday that she was shocked after receiving from another person an Excel file containing the phone logs -- incoming and outgoing call numbers, and locations of the phone number she subscribed for her husband.

She also claimed the employee had done so for kickbacks for at least 2-3 years and that she was not the only victim. Earlier, she contacted the AIS call centre and its branch but did not receive proper help.

Takorn Tantasith, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, said on Tuesday that the affected client should also file a complaint with the commission's office because the commission had a regulation requiring every telecommunications operator to protect customers' personal data.

An operator violating the regulation was liable to imprisonment of up to five years, he said.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

" An operator violating the regulation was liable to imprisonment of up to five years, he said." So when is AIS going to jail?

And the government wants people to use its new PromptPay system? And register phone numbers and fingerprints with providers like AIS? Joke!

A proper data protection law with real teeth is needed first. And that will never happen here.