Tourist SIM lets government track every move

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Tourist SIM lets government track every move

Post by centermid7 »

" triangulating" is not all that accurate. Not to mention that there is a good chance that I'm not going to be where I was 20 minutes ago. To my knowledge there are no SIMS with GPS capability. Generally these folks can't even find their arse with both hands.

The whole thing is a joke. Put a microphone in front of a Thai guy and there is NO telling what will come out.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nobody has mentioned one clause in this proposed venture. "No individual can be tracked without a court order'. Therefore an application to the court to track someone with the relevant evidence. If that's the situation, then what is the problem. Posters seem to think that there will be a team monitoring the movements of every foreigner.
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

I have owned a house here for 11 years and lived here full time for almost half that time but measures like this and the general hostility towards non Thai tax payers has finally worn us down and this afternoon, with great sadness, put our house up for sale.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I really can't see how this plan has been well thought through. I survived perfectly for a month in the US on "airplane mode" which turned off all sim connection, while enabling access to wi-fi, and subsequently all of my key contacts via LINE or Messenger applications. You can do free voice calls to anywhere in the world with these apps now as long as both parties have the app. If they don't have the app, normal calls can still be made at least via LINE at a cost of about 1 cent per minute from anywhere in the world to the US. I don't recall the tariff from other A to B locations but it's very inexpensive. Wi-fi hotspots are increasing daily, even in this country, so a time will come if not already here, that you can function normally without an active sim card.

IMO this entire "national security" nonsense is just that. Someone is going to make a lot of money from this plan and it's all about that.

EDIT:.....and my continued belief they want to thin the ranks of foreign residents.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's right Pete, but the people putting the policy in place probably don't really understand. It would probably have worked 5 years ago.

We get quite a stream of visitors to Thailand, and very few bother with a Thai SIM. Apps such as Messenger, Line and Viber eliminate the need for a Thai SIM, and they are all absolutely free.

Like you, my son has just survived 5 weeks in the UK with no UK SIM. The Internet cloud meant that he was rarely out of connection. In terms of accessibility, he couldjust as easily have been in Pranburi - connection was great.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I think the logistics will defeat this plan. How many foreign visitors does Thailand get at any one time (and foreign residents). The bureaucracy will never be able to follow this, after all TIT.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Takorn: Tracking SIMs not for expatriate foreigners

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... foreigners

The requirement that foreign tourists must use special SIM cards that enable tracking of their movements will not apply to expatriates living in Thailand, NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said.

Telecom regulators on Tuesday approval in principle of the requirement that foreigners use the special card in their phones after a meeting on Tuesday.
The announcement drew immediate criticism from foreigners working or living legally in Thailand.
Mr Takorn's later comments clarified the issue, as reported by Post Today.

The "tourist SIM" cards were intended to improve visitors' safety and help track down overstayers, he said.
"We are not limiting any rights. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has no authority to check on the location of users," he said.

"But if tourists commit wrong, or there is a court warrant, we will then forward the warrant to a mobile phone operator and seek cooperation.
"All countries do this," he said. :shock:

The use of "tourist SIM" cards would not be applied to expatriates legally residing here, Mr Takorn said.

Mr Takorn said after the meeting on Tuesday the resolution was in the interests of national security. The NBTC would discuss the measure with mobile phone operators, the Customs Department and other related state agencies.

Mobile operators can preset some technical features in SIM cards to ensure that they can always locate users, who will be unable to turn off the function, he said.

From January to July this year, 19.06 million foreigners visited the country, up 12% year-on-year, according to the Tourism and Sports Ministry.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Pls. No excitement, that's look like the complementary informations at immigration. A lot of bla..bla and nothing ahead.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And how many tourists who visit here for 2 - 3 weeks use a Thai sim. My guess is that it's very low. The whole idea is a joke!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

europtimiste wrote:Pls. No excitement, that's look like the complementary informations at immigration.
I never thought I would agree with you but...I'm surprised to say with this part of your comment I :agree: 100%
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

Foreigner-tracking SIM cards do not apply to expats, says Thailand’s telecoms commission
IN response to widespread backlash over approval of the use of location-tracking SIM cards specifically for tourists in Thailand, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has clarified that the requirement does not apply to expatriates in the country.

Takorn Tantasith, secretary-general of the NBTC, said the cards are only to be used to improve the safety of tourists, and track down those who overstay their visas.

He was quoted by the Bangkok Post saying: “We are not limiting any rights. The NBTC has no authority to check on the location of users.

“But if tourists commit wrong, or there is a court warrant, we will then forward the warrant to a mobile phone operator and seek cooperation. All countries do this.”

The SIM card announcement was made on Tuesday, and approved in principle by the NBTC. Takorn initially said the plan would involve not just tourists, but also anyone who possesses a Thai passport, prompting concern from foreigners who live and work in the country.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/08/ ... -thailand/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"The requirement that foreign tourists must use special SIM cards that enable tracking of their movements will not apply to expatriates living in Thailand, NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said."

I wish they'd make their mind up. I wonder what the announcement will be next week.

The whole idea is a joke!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

As in Thailand there are more Thai criminals than foreigners. all Thais should be traced.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Comments like the above is either a very stupid comment, or he's i cat. 5 as pointed out in another thread.
What you are saying is that; if you're in France then there will be more French criminals than Thais.
Are you in Albania then there will be more Albanians OR Chinese, OR Germans in their respective countries.
Trace whoever you want but your post is just like you. STUPID.
You have no idea of what you are talking about.
It's not often I have to answer a posting this way, and I feel sorry of doing it, but I can't take any more of bullshit like this.
Not every Thai MAN or WOMAN is bad.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ Do I hear three cheers? You might not like doing it Norseman but .... Nicely said :D :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain