Television Repair

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Television Repair

Post by Gregjam »

My tv takes a long time to start but once going is okay. I have checked on the net and it looks like it "just" needs some capacitors changing. An easy job for someone who can get the bits and solder them in but not one of my talents. Therefore I am looking for a place that will do this type of repair and not bodge it.

Does anyone know of a place and preferably with knowledge of the quality of their work.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Television Repair

Post by Gregjam »

I have put the tv into a shop along the klong road near the golf range. It looks like it will be a few days and had not saved me money as the wife made it clear that going without her daily dose of Lakorn would be as painful for her as me having to actually watch them. I will report back on how successful the repair is in case it is useful for others.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Television Repair

Post by Felipesed1 »

I have a 26" TV you can borrow, or buy if you want.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks for the offer but have already got her another tv. When the other one is repaired it will be kept as a spare for when the next failure happens either to mine or one of the family's tvs.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its a pretty simple job and shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred baht. Did it myself on our LG TV and the set is still running 4 years later: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21363&p=267290
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks for that link. I was quoted 2k and it saves me Dismantling it. Currently waiting for the call to collect it and got some gold stars for ensuring the drip feed of lakorns is maintained for her who shall be obeyed.
I tried using the forum search engine but Am not good at picking the right words to search with.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'll come and unscrew the back for 1,999 - :wink: :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Unfortunately, while I am trusted to dismantle my bicycles, repair various items around the house, that trust does not extend to the provider of mindless entertainment. Wow betide her missing the latest installment that was previewed at the end of the last episode, is totally predictable and would mean finding other alternative entertainment. You might guess that I am not a big fan of Lakorn although I have noticed that one of the stars on the early evening one has an impressive rack of teeth and huge mouth. There also seems an inordinate amount of effeminate gays populating the shows.
buksida

Post by buksida »

:wink: kao jai ... TV is above Buddha himself in a Thai household!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

An update, of sorts. The tv was collected from the shop as I was being quoted four thousand to fix it. Out came the screwdriver and a visual check of the capacitors did not indicate any problems. After a lengthy conversation with my nephew (my Thai is not bad but not up to technical explanations) it looks like another of the boards is a problem and this also is common on three year old or more sets. So it was a good move buying the new bigger set as I got some gold stars for that and the old tv will be donated to the nephew who goes a 42 inch upgrade at the cost of the repair and I suspect the final bill will be less for him.
It is worth saying that removing the back and inspecting the suspect boards was very easy.