New style computer keyboard

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

New style computer keyboard

Post by PeteC »

Looks interesting and wouldn't mind giving it a try. I don't know if it's the future, or only a bump in the road. Pete :cheers:

"....When Ray McEnaney types, he’s confident it’s the most efficient way possible. But it’s not typing school that’s given him this feeling. It’s his keyboard. Frustrated with the limitations of the traditional QWERTY layout, McEnaney spent the last decade designing a new one. Considering that the universal key arrangement was designed in the typewriter age — patented in 1878 — an alternative seems due. This one’s inspired by a bee.".....

http://www.ozy.com/good-sht/wanna-type- ... ampaign=pp

http://www.beeraider.com/
BeeRaider_02.jpg
BeeRaider_02.jpg (109.47 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: New style computer keyboard

Post by oakdale160 »

And the old QWERTY arrangement was made to deliberately slow down typists to stop the 'strikers from getting tangled.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Being a 'touch typist' it certainly wouldn't work for me! They tried an angled keyboard some years back. Didn't catch on and I doubt this one will.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I wouldn't bet on it HHT, these days the majority of users are the younger generation with nimble fingers - I can see them liking it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It might work in the playground, but there are so many 'serious' users/applications, I don't think it would catch on - there is already a worldwide standard that works. Why fix it if it isn't broken? No more than a gimmick IMHO.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

I don' agree entirely as the way we now use keyboards has changed substantially. Not sure how your introduction to keyboards came about but mine was a youth where stenographers and typists in typing pools did the majority of typwritten work. My early introduction to the humble typewriter was with my studies and having to obtain the mandatory touch typing speed required as a probationary constable to complete the never ending forms and reports in quadruplicate on antiquated Royal, Olivetti and Olympia machines depending on where you were stationed. As the Service evolved and careers progressed we had access to IBM golfball, and later the first word processor 'Wang" which was the beginning of the demise of the typing pool and beginning of author created documents. With the introduction of tablets and my use of such I rarely use adesk supported keyboard.
Now do most of my work on a tablet or smartphone with two thumbs supporting it with my fingers. A completely different way in which I use a keyboard.
My daughter, the technocrat, uses a tablet in a similar way but taking it a step further using two thumbs, voice apps and predictive texts which makes me feel like a dinosaur.

Not really a matter of fixing but one of evolving to technology, bit like going from a pencil and paper, to a slide rule and eventually mathematical formula based calculator.

Big Boy wrote:It might work in the playground, but there are so many 'serious' users/applications, I don't think it would catch on - there is already a worldwide standard that works. Why fix it if it isn't broken? No more than a gimmick IMHO.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I understand the 'non-standard' use of keyboards, but I'm thinking of the corporate investment made by huge corporations installing standard technology. To switch to this keyboard, which appears very clumsy to an old codger like me, would involve huge investment in both hardware and human training.

Yes, some people would switch, but I repeat, its a gimmick ........................ or am I showing my age? :D :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

BB you were in industry until just a few years ago and commercially many companies update their hardware every 5 years or so, so it's not necessarily a Big Bang for everybody, but next time it comes to updating, it could be incorporated into the update - assuming of course users find the new layout a step forward. I'm probably like you and use just 2 fingers to do my typing so I'd be the last person to give a view on its merits, but I'm sure the technocrats of this world will be giving it the thumbs up or down pretty soon.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's right - time will tell.

My industry was just about the largest in the UK, with branches (some huge) worldwide. One of my last jobs was updating the hardware - believe me, it is not as easy as you are making out. I've been retired for almost 4 years, and they're still a very long way from completion.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:That's right - time will tell.

My industry was just about the largest in the UK, with branches (some huge) worldwide. One of my last jobs was updating the hardware - believe me, it is not as easy as you are making out. I've been retired for almost 4 years, and they're still a very long way from completion.
But industries like the Civil Service are nothing like most of the FTSE 250 who survive by being proactive and most of them will introduce change on a more regular and rapid basis.

I'm the first to admit that me and IT are like oil and water, so new technology is not for me, but I can see this new keyboard taking off - time will tell :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO it will only take off if its substantially cheaper. If not, what are it's other advantages? Like HHTel, I am a competent touch typist (OK, we're a dying breed) - it scares the hell out of me, and would slow me down big time.

Points 48; Position 20
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

With the 'Yoof' coming into the workforce, big corporations are taking advantage of the fact they already have their favourite piece of tech. 'Bring Your Own' technology is becoming common-place and many firms are focusing on providing online platforms that can be accessed securely and from almost any device. Forget the need for capital-intensive hardware and big IT departments, now you get a secure VPN key that you plug into any machine and you're away.
There's a reason IBM got out of low-margin hardware and into the servicing gig.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Believe me, the Civil Service are not one of those organisations. Any device with the remotest sign of intelligence was not allowed on the network. We were over 4 years trying to source a flatbed scanner, but every model on the market had an element of intelligence, and was rejected. We were repeatedly advised the system could be accessed and compromised by such a device. I've no idea if they've found a solution since.

I'm no technical expert, but the Civil Service was paying experts dearly to make sure their systems couldn't be compromised.

Points 48; Position 20
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

^^ They could have spent the money better encouraging civil servants not to leave laptops on trains or in taxis!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter tells me that 'touch typing' went out years ago which surprised me. I challenge any youngster, no matter how adept they are with two fingers, to catch me at around 90 wpm. Probably why I'm often asked to type a document for others.
It's a shame some skills are dying out. I was in the Navy and morse code today, is taught to only a few at a max of 12 wpm.
Okay --- I'm f'ing old as I'm constantly reminded.