Free VPN for your mobile device

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Free VPN for your mobile device

Post by hhfarang »

I installed this from the Google Play Store. Good for privacy, but also may be good for accessing sites outside Thailand...

"The one free iPhone and Android app you need to use if you care at all about privacy"

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/one-free-iph ... 14480.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

[Mod edit: links removed, totally irrelevant to topic material.]

Sent fra min SGP521 via Tapatalk
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re:

Post by Takiap »

huahin4ever wrote:SCAM!!!

Sent fra min SGP521 via Tapatalk

Am I missing something here? I can't for the life of me figure out how these two links have anything to do with the OP regarding a free VPN?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Free VPN for your mobile device

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought I'd give it a try and installed it on my iPad. Now at the top left hand side I have a box showing VPN, so it's connected, however I tried to access BBC iplayer but it said "this service is only available in the UK", so it doesn't get over that issue.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Dannie Boy wrote:I thought I'd give it a try and installed it on my iPad. Now at the top left hand side I have a box showing VPN, so it's connected, however I tried to access BBC iplayer but it said "this service is only available in the UK", so it doesn't get over that issue.
I use a different VPN than the one you installed so I am not sure if it's set up the same or not, but on mine I have the choice of which country I want my IP address to come from. Perhaps you need to switch countries before you can access BBC iplayer? When I installed my VPN it was first connected to a city in the United States and if I want it to be connected elsewhere I just open the app and switch locations.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I've tried to find an option to switch countries for the IP address but with no luck - that could be because I'm a bit of a dummy with anything slightly technical IT wise.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Dannie Boy wrote:I've tried to find an option to switch countries for the IP address but with no luck - that could be because I'm a bit of a dummy with anything slightly technical IT wise.
Having that option is one of the benefits of a VPN perhaps because it's free you don't get that choice? I really don't know about that. I am sure you could google it and find the answer. If you really want to access BBC iplayer the App Store has plenty of vpns to choose from. I paid for my service and it's very easy to set up and they don't cost much at all. I have used private Internet access PIA, and ipvanish and they have worked fine for me. I use the VPN to access Netflix and pandora radio all the time and have never had a problem. Hope you can figure it out.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Hi Dannie Boy.

I have just tried thesame as you did on my Samsung,and got the same result.
It looks like that you cannot see which country your are connected to,so have to trust that when you tap the UK buttom its actully connect to the UK,Im not sure maybe I being a IT dummy too 8)

:cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I found a help page and it listed a number of previous questions raised by users and this issue has been raised a number of times, but it seems that at the moment, there is no option to nominate the country you want to use. It's not that big an issue as I already have access to UK TV via the ThaiExpat TV facility, although of course you have to pay for it.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Dannie Boy wrote:I found a help page and it listed a number of previous questions raised by users and this issue has been raised a number of times, but it seems that at the moment, there is no option to nominate the country you want to use. It's not that big an issue as I already have access to UK TV via the ThaiExpat TV facility, although of course you have to pay for it.
same here I use Purevpn,but is always interested in free stuff :twisted:
I didnt bother sign in to look at Q and A so thanks for confirm what I was thinking about the choice of countries.

:cheers: :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Using a free VPN for security? Does it offer TOR over VPN or Double VPN? Is it hosted in a country that doesn't require such companies to monitor internet traffic? How about your choice of multiple servers in dozens of countries? Before connecting can you see the server load and latency? Do they have any servers dedicated to high speed media streaming?

I tried a few free VPNs. Switched to NordVPN for home and Android. The difference in speed and availability is night and day.

Three day free trial. $3 a month right now (usually $4) for a year's commitment. Easy to setup. It uses the Open VPN Connect Android app with a file of server info downloaded from NordVPN. Also apps for windows, Mac, iOS, iPad.

Many places with WiFi for their customers block torrent traffic. I've yet to find one that couldn't be defeated by selecting a server outside of Thailand.