The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

It does sound like a problem that needs hands on. If Buksi is not available I will always have a look at it for you.

Do not under any circumstances allow a little fellow called Brian anywhere near it.

Unecessary software can usually be identified in Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs but don't delete anything unless you have the install disk or you are absolutely sure that it is not needed. If you use Mozilla you can delete it and re-install (assuming that you have a working copy of MS Internet Explorer).

Just send me a PM if you still need help when you get here. Make sure that you bring all system disks with you just in case Dell have installed something non-standard. If you bought the Laptop with Windows already installed you should have either a disk or at least an activation key. This is sometimes stuck on the bottom of laptops.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Guess wrote:I would ditch Outlook Express altogether unless there is some reason you need to use it.

Avoid McAfee, it is shortly to become extinct.
I have been using Outlook Express in various forms for ten years with no problems up to now. The format is much easier to navigate than MS Outlook - I just don't need all the other stuff that goes with that.

What are the reasons for ditching it and what else should I use instead?

The same question goes for McAfee.
buksida

Post by buksida »

caller, send me a PM when you get here and I'll take a look. If it is a Dell related thing we may need to set the system up again so make sure you bring the driver CDs.

Outlook Express is simpler than Outlook, less to go wrong with it! A good alternative is Mozilla Thunderbird which also has built in RSS readers.

Not a big fan of McAfee though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I use 3 different checking tools - PC TOOLS ANTI VIRUS / SPYWARE DOCTOR / REGISTRY MECHANIC - They seem quite effective and I consider them all to be performing 3 different functions, (not the same as running more than 1 anti-virus program) - any comments? PC TOOLS ANTI VIRUS runs in the background, SPYWARE DOCTOR is scheduled to run once daily and I use REGISTRY MECHANIC whenever I take the notion.

Also I downloaded from download.com a free software package called FreeRam XP Pro - I'm not sure about this software and I'm thinking of uninstalling it. My PC has been a bit erratic since installing it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ones I swear by are AVG pro antivirus, Sbybot S&D and A-Squared for spyware and other nasties.

Would definately NOT recommend using two different AV programs on the same machine. Apart from each one constantly detecting the others quarrantine files the amount of resources used will be huge.

Never thought much of those free RAM programs, you can free additional memory by turning off unused services and running programs in Start > msconfig.exe and services.msc
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote:caller, send me a PM when you get here and I'll take a look. If it is a Dell related thing we may need to set the system up again so make sure you bring the driver CDs.
Buksida / Guess,

Thanks for the help. It doesn't have seperate drivers though! It has a microsoft systems restore and a Dell system restore, which can restore the the computer to its original operating state. Theres lots of built in guidance about this, manuals etc, but nothing that amounts to an idiots guide - sadly! I'm backing everything up if this is the best thing to do.

Another thing, I've read about power surges and potential damage this can cause - is there a way around this?

I get to HH on the 22nd, fly out to LOS after work this Friday (12th).

Thanks.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Guest/Buksida

Change of plan - I'm gonna leave the laptop at home, I'm travelling a fair bit and its pretty desperate to take it all that way to get fixed. I have access to the other halfs in any case!

Thanks anyway.
Talk is cheap
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

I hope this is still the place to ask for digital help?

I have just upgraded my browser to IE7 and the fonts displayed inside all my browser frames have gone slightly fuzzy. There must be a setting somewhere to get everything back into focus? It's making me think I need new glasses. (all other font displays are fine, it's just the ones inside the browser).

Thanks guys.

Jim
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
buksida

Post by buksida »

Display settings in IE are in the View menu, then Text Size, and you can increase or decrease font size.

Does it happen on every website?
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Thanks Buks. I'll check it when I get back home from work later. And yes it does happen on every website.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote:Display settings in IE are in the View menu, then Text Size, and you can increase or decrease font size.

Does it happen on every website?
There is no View menu with IE7. It's under 'page' and the zoom/text size/encoding won't do it. I downloaded IE7 in China when on high speed and I remember it asked if you want "a softer image/print...". I like it as works well with the glasses I use.

Anyway, go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and look around. I did but can't tell which one may turn off the fuzzy look. I saw about 3 possible choices with the best maybe being "image dithering..". Try to uncheck anything that may look like it's related and see what happens. Pete :cheers:

PS: If I recall correctly IE& is a 42mb download. Took me 6 minutes on high speed. Here on dial up it would take 6 hours. :shock:

PPS: Try under Advanced/Multimedia. Uncheck the "always use clear type for HTML" It requires a system restart which I don't want to do or lose my interconnection at the moment so let us know if this is it?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jaime wrote:
Guess wrote:I would ditch Outlook Express altogether unless there is some reason you need to use it.

Avoid McAfee, it is shortly to become extinct.
I have been using Outlook Express in various forms for ten years with no problems up to now. The format is much easier to navigate than MS Outlook - I just don't need all the other stuff that goes with that.

What are the reasons for ditching it and what else should I use instead?

The same question goes for McAfee.
Very late reply Jamie but if you're still looking for an email client, see below. I have found none better. It used to be named Calypso but is now Courier. Pete :cheers:

http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier/
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Bingo. Cheers Pete. Unchecking the "always use clear type for HTML" has put everything back in focus again.

Merry Christmas

Jim
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jim wrote:Bingo. Cheers Pete. Unchecking the "always use clear type for HTML" has put everything back in focus again.

Merry Christmas

Jim
Great! My contribution to all of forum reading mankind this eve of Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to you also Jim. Cheers. :cheers: Pete
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Another problem help needed on.

My laptop got problems late on the 23rd and somehow uninstalled the link to the wifi modem. When trying to re-install, couldn't access ther USB port, same with the wifes laptop. So engineer calling this Friday (posting from an internet cafe now) to look at the modem, which doesn't seem to be picking up any signals.

But for the last couple of months, I have been plagued with spam, even though everything shows everything is working ok. Local filters on the email system I use throw lots into the bulk mail, but others getting through.

Looked at safemode yesterday and it showed my mcafree anti-virus was off as was the spamkiller. Go to normal mode and they are shown as on! Have I got a virus eating away somewhere.

I've now been recommended AVG(?). Any thoughts?

I'm hoping that the engineer will help do more than sort the modem, for a price of course.

Might not pick this up for a day or so.

Many thanks for any assistance.
Talk is cheap