The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm No, my Internet was crap for a couple of days, but this message turned the screen red, and unless you agreed to unauthorised information to be given up, you could not proceed. Hopefully, nobody in their right minds agreed.

I simply switched to another torrent site for a couple of days - it wasn't a problem.
What was the source of the message? Certainly not the site. Your ISP? Your anti-virus? Avira anti-virus displays an warning page giving you the choice of backing out or plunging in. Can't miss the page, unless you're red color blind ;)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It wasn't my regular anti-virus, but Windows Defender kicking in from memory.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I keep getting this warning. Is my anti-virus being over-zealous, or is there a problem please? When it happens, I normally have to re-start to get rid of it (I'm not going to blindly OK it).
encrypted.png
encrypted.png (24.58 KiB) Viewed 553 times

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its warning about a SSL certificate, if you know the site you're trying to access is safe ignore it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Problem is that it just pops up randomly, not whilst accessing any particular site. I'm assuming it's a Chrome certificate that is at fault. Can you confirm? If so, it shouldn't be a problem.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

The problem is on the website Chrome is trying to access, something else on your machine maybe trying to access this site. I'd give it a full malware scan to be safe and disable any Chrome extensions.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks - up to my eyeballs in paint at the moment - next coffee break :D

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Had a drop of coffee left in my cup, so had a quick look at extensions. A load there that I'd never put there - all disabled now. Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I have a problem with the computer and am wondering if anyone can help.
It starts up OK and connects to the internet but then after maybe 10-15 mins, things start to go wrong.
Internet pages won't load. The computer is trying to connect but can't. Although I can get to documents and the relevant page that I need, the document doesn't open (it does for the first 10-15 mins though).
I also can't switch the computer off normally and have to rely on unplugging from the mains which I know isn't good.
Does anyone have any ideas what may be going wrong? Thanks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The time scale here leads me to think it could be overheating again.

Remember that Vesuvian pile of ash and dust we cleaned out of it last time? Pop the side off and give the fans a good clean out - make sure they're actually going round also!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks will try that. On start up just now, as the comp has done for ages, it did a disk scan and for the first time it threw up an error in C drive and corrected it.
If it's the fans, then I don't get an alarm but this is a different comp to the one that happened to before. I'll take a look. Thanks.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The fans are going round OK but it's a disgrace in there. Bloody awful. Suppose I'll be cleaning soon. Is it safe to put a vacuum in there? Maybe not as it's pretty powerful.
buksida

Post by buksida »

With a computer as old as yours you really don't want to be disturbing too much ... so clean with caution!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Unfortunately, that hasn't worked. Got most of the gunk out while being careful and reconnected.
As before, starts up fine and connects to the internet but this time, after maybe 15 mins, I couldn't connect to any net page again (altho internet is connected), couldn't get further than D drive, docs and then couldn't open a doc and it won't switch off.
Unless anyone has got some other ideas, I'll take it to the computer shop.
I have a horrible feeling that it may be due to the disk checking and finding an error on C drive earlier this morning. But I know nothing about computers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Are you sure it's not an Internet problem? Mine has been jumping in and out for a couple of days. I keep getting no internet for up to a few minutes at a time. There is a True Internet van working in the area, so I'm putting it down to him messing about. My internet shows as connected throughout.

Mind you, that wouldn't explain not being able to work on the local drives.

Points 41; Position 18