The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - me as well.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

PET wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I have the same situation because I've set my keyboard to English (UK). If you change to English (US), everything will type as it shows on the keyboard.
Oh dear - I shall keep to English UK which is more important to me !
Main differences between a US and UK keyboard:

- an AltGr key is added to the right of the space bar
- the # symbol is replaced by the £ symbol and a 102nd key is added next to the Enter key to accommodate the displaced #
- @ and ” are swapped
- the ~ is moved to the # key, and is replaced by a ¬ symbol on the backquote (`) key
- the \ key is moved to the left of the Z key
- the Enter key spans two rows, and is narrower to accommodate the # key
- on laptop computers, the | and \ key is often placed next to the space bar
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

What is this 102nd key ?
Where is the @ key (shift " ) ?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Here are the two keyboards for comparison.

This is the British one:
IMG_0053.PNG
IMG_0053.PNG (17.78 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
And here is the US one:
IMG_0052.PNG
IMG_0052.PNG (16.51 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
You can see where the @ sign is transposed.

I don't know what the 102 key is, perhaps you can count them and let us know? :D
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Laptop RAM upgrade - worth the bother?

Post by thecolonel »

Has anyone upgraded a laptop from 4gb of RAM to 8gb? If so any feedback on performance would be appreciated.

When I bought this machine, a cheap HP G4 250 but with an SSD, my intention was to upgrade the RAM, but after 7 months I'm still wondering whether I need to bother as I never really notice any sluggish behaviour as per past HDD machines.

I have been quoted 1650 bht incl fitting so I'd like feedback on whether I should bother and if so supply/fit cost.

I would point out I do not play computer games I just surf the net and often have a dozen pages open, watch YouTube videos and online TV, e mail, Google drive and a small accounts package (quickbooks).. And thats my lot! Online TV can stutter sometimes but is that a RAM issue? Thanks

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

If it is quick enough for you then don't bother.

Online TV stuttering is usually a buffering issue, it could be low GPU memory also but that is a lot more expensive to upgrade than system RAM.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Buffering, yes, though varying net speed also causes it.

You can check if memory is part of the problem. Resource Monitor is part of Windows. Close all programs. Start resource monitor, then start watching online video, then check resource monitor to see how much Standby and Free memory is available.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Of the memory when online TV playing of the 4gb memory there if 1.5 GB of standby and 118mb of free memory. Or 2.325 GB physical in use and 1.6gb available...... Does that mean I have enough memory? actually as a side issue.. this evening it's buffering way more than normal but I've just noticed laptop is getting a pathetic 0.47mbps download speed whereas my phone is getting 18mbps! I must say this computer does this every few days or so even disconnects from wifi for ten mins once a day but the phone never does! It also does this in the UK too so clearly computer not network, is that a driver issue?

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Ps after a reboot I'm back up to 23 mbps download.. So back to the question of memory.......

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Another check before I answer your memory question. Reboot windows. After all the disk activity and cpu lights stop blinking (or just wait a few minutes :) Start resource monitor. How much Standby and Free memory is available?

Is Windows Update set to install updates automatically? Or, do you use Windows Update or to update drivers? Drivers from the manufacturer are the best. Most computer makers have support on their site. Input the model number, see what they have, if anything, in the Drivers category. Found one? Create a system restore point, then install the new driver.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

1. Reboot- standby 1035mb, free 1123mb. Updates are auto. I sometimes use driver max when I remember as that seems to indicate more updates are needed. But it's all Intel and realtek stuff(and once, a realtek update screwed up my audio so I point restored).can't see any drivers that appears to be directly related to Internet connection(re drop out or go slow issue as per last night ) any particular driver you want me to look for? Cheers for help

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

With just the programs running that start with windows and for watching online TV (I assume a browser), amount of memory looks OK.

The driver of interest is for Network Adapters. Start Device Manger, right click on Network Adapters then right click on each device listed (might be only 1) and select Properties from the menu. Click on Driver tab. The Driver Provider plus the Driver Version plus the name of the device is enough to search for newer driver on the manufacturer's site. Or you could click the Update Driver button, letting Windows choose the driver. I've had enough bad experiences with Windows choosing drivers that I do that before exhausting other options.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Try this http://snailsuite.com/ I have found it to be the easiest and best. I run it once a month. It will download and install any new drivers it finds and lists all the drivers on your system.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I have installed snailsuite and updated all drivers. I will monitor the wifi dropping out issue(& nb when the phone does not!) I will also proceed, for now anyway, on the basis that a memory upgrade is simply not necessary. Thanks to both
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

WORD - Annoying, unwanted corrections & underlining

Hello,

can you, please, tell me how to get rid of /stop any corrections & unwanted
underlining in Word?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

MB